White oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2h64p5k.jpg
this is white oak

Agree...pin oak. Bark pattern not near wide and 'scaley' to be white oak. Least not the white oak in the south. A good handful of rounds a few wknds ago from a neighbor of mine were pin oak. Splits nice and clean...Super Split HD loved it, blew right through it.

I finished up a stack of red maple rounds today and decided to split one of the smaller oak rounds just to see. Yup, that unmistakable aroma of pin oak was quite noticeable. Phew.

Was wondering about willow oak, they grow a lot around these parts. Bark is similar to willow oak as well as the wide growth rings. There's not a leaf or sprout one on this load.

Got the saw and maul out this morning, noodled/busted some. Too hot and muggy to do any more. Definitely pin oak. Took one of these down a couple years ago.
100_0093.JPG 100_0094.JPG

Agree...pin oak. Bark pattern not near wide and 'scaley' to be white oak. Least not the white oak in the south. A good handful of rounds a few wknds ago from a neighbor of mine were pin oak. Splits nice and clean...Super Split HD loved it, blew right through it.

Agreed...the bark is not the same as white oaks I have seen here. My vote is pin oak as well.

Latest posts

Back