White oak?

• Thread starter Deleted member 135597
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear lord I'm so confused. One minute I think it's white oak and the next minute I think it's bur oak
Trust me... it ain't Bur Oak... both the bark and leaf are wrong.
It's definitely from the white oak family... but ain't Bur Oak.
Bur Oak has thick, deeply furrowed bark... really thick bark.
And these are Bur Oak leaves... and bark...

quemac_leaf01.jpg
bur_oak_leaf.gif
buroakleaf2h.jpg
bur-oak-leaf-underside.jpg
burr-oak-leaves_slide.jpg
fac52s00c.jpg
BUR%20OAK.jpg
OAK_BUR4_leaves.jpg

OAK_BUR_bark.jpg

Trust me... it ain't Bur Oak... both the bark and leaf are wrong.
It's definitely from the white oak family... but ain't Bur Oak.
Bur Oak has thick, deeply furrowed bark... really thick bark.
And these are Bur Oak leaves... and bark...

quemac_leaf01.jpg
bur_oak_leaf.gif
buroakleaf2h.jpg
bur-oak-leaf-underside.jpg
burr-oak-leaves_slide.jpg
fac52s00c.jpg
BUR%20OAK.jpg
OAK_BUR4_leaves.jpg

OAK_BUR_bark.jpg
Good post White Spider about the White Oak said the White Wolf :cheers:

The bark is very shaggy if that's a good description. At the base its not but maybe a few feet away from the base the bark gets very loose and flaky.

That sure sounds like the swamp white oak we have around here. Leaves look right too. I had pics somewhere that showed exactly that type of bark on a swamp white oak that's used as a tree ID tree in a local park.

With looking at white spiders pictures I think I could rule out bur oak. With other pictures I think the closest match is swamp white oak. Has anyone seen the difference in acorns between swamp and regular white oak?

We have a few Swamp White Oak around here, mostly in flat semi-boggy areas along river beds, usually mixed in with Pin Oak. I don't see them very often, the Bur Oak is our predominant oak by far (State Tree), followed by the White, Red, and then Black Oak.

I don't normally use acorns for oak identification except in very late summer or fall... they can be deceiving until they mature. Swamp White Oak acorns are not quite as elongated as White Oak acorns... but the best distinction is they're produced in pairs on a longish stalk, whereas the White Oak acorns are produced close to the twig.

White Oak
quercus-alba_27509-1.jpg

Swamp White Oak
quercus-bicolor-654576.jpg

Back