White oak?

• Thread starter Deleted member 135597
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say white oak with leaf variation. Bur oak are typically small trees and the leaf margin at tip is rounded and lobes are shallow jmo
If you think bur oak are small, I invite you to come out and admire mine. With its top spread it shades a full acre of low lands near where 2 small drainage creeks meet. The first side branch as you climb it is 15 feet off the ground and 2 feet in diameter. I planted an acorn from it a few years ago and the resulting tree is small, but it is very young at around 15 years and about 6 inches DBH and only about 20 feet tall. Give it some time and it will rival its parent.
As far as white oak, Quercus alba, its leaf does not get wider toward the tip like a bur does. It will have almost uniform width rounded lobes and deeper cuts than the one pictured.
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/database/documents/pdf/tree_fact_sheets/quealba.pdf

Oh dear lord I'm so confused. One minute I think it's white oak and the next minute I think it's bur oak

I'm sure there's another tree like it nearby. Will check it out in the fall when they start dropping

That's funny. I used to spend all my time hunting around Hillsbourogh and also down by wolfie in Cumberland County. It's like being in Alabama down there. I grew up in the armpit!
I'm 3rd generation in hillsborough. There used to be so much land to hunt on. I'm down to one little patch off of woods road

Latest posts

Back