White pine with codominant trunks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for some opinions on how to handle this tree. It is a white pine about 30" diameter. About 20' up it separates into 2 trunks. It is starting to split apart, and has a visible crack to within 4 or 5 feet of the ground.

Would it be suicide to wrap a chain at the bottom, and another at the crotch, and try to drop it at a right angle to the split? It would actually have to be at around an 80 degree angle to the split to avoid other trees. The tree also has a slight (less than 5 degree ) back lean if I were to try to drop it in that direction.

I have a small ( approx 3000 lb ) tractor with a 5000 lb electric winch. I was thinking of leaving a fairly wide hinge, and pulling it over with the winch. At least that way I would be a safe distance away if it decided to blow apart on the way down. I could temporarily mount an 8000 lb winch on the tractor if the 5000 is too small, but given the weight of the tractor I am not sure if it would be any better.

It would be difficult if not impossible to get a bucket truck to the tree to take it down in pieces.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Depends on your skill at cutting them down. They look pretty entangled in the upper branches, that would help.

Why cut it down ? Do you want to keep the tree? If the split is not too damaging, and the tree is otherwise healthy and desireable, just cable it.

i cant tell from the pics, is it a crack, or is it where the co-doms have grown together, if thats the case i would recommend static cabling on the crotch.

as far as chaining goes, sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me. When the tree hits the ground it could flex enough to break a chain sending shrapnel and metal whips flying a innocent bystanders, yourself, and quite possibly low orbiting satellites. you would be better off running a line to both stems, mae a wedge, and have someone else pull while you backcut.

Nothing wrong with using chains, I do it. Just make sure its a good chain, 3/8 grade 70 minimum.

even above the co-dom crotch? single wrap or double?

Above the crotch, one wrap is fine. Its good to make it tight, with a load binder or by using wooden wedges. Good chain will not break, it will dig heavily into the wood when under pressure.

Above the crotch, one wrap is fine. Its good to make it tight, with a load binder or by using wooden wedges. Good chain will not break, it will dig heavily into the wood when under pressure.

hmmm i guess a 3/8 logger would be sufficient then. will have to try it out if i get a chance thanks clearance.

but back to this guys tree-
sjb can we get some close ups of the crack?

This is the best picture I have right now. I will try to get a better one. It's hard to see in this picture, but a woodpecker has been at it just below the crotch, and taken out some bark and wood.

The bottom of the crack is oozing sap, and it has grown 3 feet or so over the last winter.

if you're going to climb to put a chain up above the crotch, why not just blow the tops out while you're up there ???? just asking...

Back