Who else splices thier own safties?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy18

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Come on I can't be the only one who splices and makes my own saftey lines

I have been splicing mine for over 20 years. I'm still alive. Two points of attachment are required for a reason. The store bought ones are hand spliced too and ours done correctly are just as good. Use caution and judgment if you are a beginner. Inspect before and after every use no matter where you got it.

I have been splicing for about 2 or 2 1/2 years. it is fun challenging and can save some serious money. i just got some books and training dvds and started practicing. i think the coolest part is seeing how different rope constructions splice differently. always keep in practice

In this province lifelines have to spliced by a certified splicer. Must be a reason for that, only a few around.

I have been splicing my lines for 6 years. When I first started doing it I was a little apprehensive,as you naturally should be about something you trust your life with daily. So I did a few splices and tested them to distruction using the tirfor, truck, and snatch blocking. The worst thing that happend to the splice was it stretched a little, but the rope line had snapped before the splice looked like it was even close to coming apart.

Splicing your own ropes is not for everyone, but providing you do it to the letter of the instuctions (using the right rope and techniques) and test them, I think your going to save yourself alot of time (I really notice how much longer climbing with knots takes me than using spliced line and I trust them more than knots)

Define "Safety Line" Are we talkin about the eye at the end, or ends of a climb line, or are we talking about a work positioning lanyard? Or are we talking about split tails and tress cords? I just got 20ft of bee-line today and that stuff is a bear to splice. Im lazy so I just tie that in fishermans for my tress-cords. The same with 24 strand such as the Fly. Everything else is pretty simple. But Im still lazy and pay for the splice when ever possible.

Kenn

Safety line is anything a worker is suspended by, including attachments, screwgate biners are a no no, they must be triple acting, double action rope snaps are allowed, so are rappeling knots. Rope that is spliced has to be spliced by a certified splicer, I can tie a bowline to a rope snap, but I am not allowed to splice anything my life depends on.

What about friction savers? Your suspended from a friction saver right? Are you allowed to make your own if you you have the propper webbing steel or aluminum rings and an industrial sewing machine?

Kenn

I use fisherman knots on my tress cord because they work better than spliced. I also used fisherman knots when I replaced the worn out bridge on my butterfly saddle. I use the anchor hitch for my climbing rope termination to a biner because I like it better and it's easier to untie after loading.

My only spliced climbing rope is my 20ft. wire core lanyard.

I feel ya Dawg. I climb with pretty much the same set up. I can splice when I need to, but Im lazy. A lot of my old stuff I bought pre spliced from Sherrill, but I am using a fishermans for most stuff except as you stated for the termination on my climb line, Its a bear to get out. I use a bunt line for that. Splices look cool, but Im past looking cool. Im all about cost and function.

Kenn

Define "Safety Line" Are we talkin about the eye at the end, or ends of a climb line, or are we talking about a work positioning lanyard? Or are we talking about split tails and tress cords? I just got 20ft of bee-line today and that stuff is a bear to splice. Im lazy so I just tie that in fishermans for my tress-cords. The same with 24 strand such as the Fly. Everything else is pretty simple. But Im still lazy and pay for the splice when ever possible.

Kenn

I mean flip lines or work positioning lanyards but i did splice my climb line once when i tried split tail but cut it of when i went back to tail tied climbing with a tautline hitch.

triple fisherman for termination knots here.... possibly the most secure bend known.
much better than splices for cinching down on biners. costs is not even a factor for my lifeline.

knots for lifelines are tied and inspected by me. I completely trust my own knot tying abilities. VS a splice done by someone I don't know and cannot inspect for quality.

and yes there have been posts about commercial splices failing. just as there's posts about improperly tied knots failing. the difference is I can inspect and check my knots. I cannot inspect and check someone else's splices.

I agree with 046. I would trust my own work rather than someone else's. Not to mention that it is also cheaper and I trust it more. Can you go wrong with that?

I make my own lanyards, I stitch and whip the far end and fisherman's knot and whip the loading end.
I just got some bee line cords from an arb supply place in Canada, the ends are covered in a black shrink cover and there is some kind of glue underneath, I assume they are spliced...but I can't see!!! I'm going to load test them 4" from the ground!!! I don't like not being able to see the work someone else did!

Latest posts

Back