Who has some good pics of the Flack Hill Splitter from Howard Ohio?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm...I'm not far from Howard. But never heard of it
They are on Flack rd between 229 and 36. From Newcastle on 229 it is the second road and between the sawmill and the pole building company. They ship the splitters from the sawmill and that is where I have seen them. They look well made to me.

I have never seen one of these inertia splitters in action. They look small, are they much lighter than a similar power hydraulic splitter?

I have never seen one of these inertia splitters in action. They look small, are they much lighter than a similar power hydraulic splitter?

Zogger,

It depends on the inertial splitter in question. The inventors of the concept, Super Split models weigh 430lbs and up, depending on engine and whether equipped with dual 72lb. or 100lb flywheels. DR doesn't specify weights for their Super Split knockoff, but their models come with dual 55lb or 74lb flywheels to save on costs. In an attempt to compensate, the DR's spin the flywheels at 400rpm, as opposed to the Super Split rpm of 300, so the DR's have a bit more "excitement factor" when they toss harder to split chunks....

To compare with the typical hydraulic splitters, the Chinese made Huskee 22 ton weighs 525lbs, while their 35 ton claims 660 lbs. The Made in America, "Brave" (who also produces the commercial, Iron & Oak splitters in IL) hydraulic splitters weigh from 440lbs. for their light duty 22 ton, to 530 for their 22 ton VH model, up to 700 lbs. for their 34 ton VH.

As for weight for the Flack Hill knockoffs..., it depends on which model of Super Split they copied. Perhaps an owner here knows?

Hope this helped,

Lance

As an aside... The most interesting utilization of the inertial splitter has to be the LogRite. Rather than ripping off the SS design, they have their base splitter made by Super Split. However, Logrite then takes the concept and runs with it. Check out the video...

[video]http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_zAEps8cCxs[/video]​

I added the receiver you see the tongue sticking into, put the foot in there when towing. Added the driveway marker post so I can see it over the tailgate when towing. Added the hatchet holder. Added the reflector on the back. Added the tachometer and made a new lower actuating handle. Everything else is the way it came. It uses a 4 hp honda engine.

If memory serves me right I think Melvin told me they weigh 82 lbs each. I am not positive about that.

Zogger,

It depends on the inertial splitter in question. The inventors of the concept, Super Split models weigh 430lbs and up, depending on engine and whether equipped with dual 72lb. or 100lb flywheels. DR doesn't specify weights for their Super Split knockoff, but their models come with dual 55lb or 74lb flywheels to save on costs. In an attempt to compensate, the DR's spin the flywheels at 400rpm, as opposed to the Super Split rpm of 300, so the DR's have a bit more "excitement factor" when they toss harder to split chunks....

To compare with the typical hydraulic splitters, the Chinese made Huskee 22 ton weighs 525lbs, while their 35 ton claims 660 lbs. The Made in America, "Brave" (who also produces the commercial, Iron & Oak splitters in IL) hydraulic splitters weigh from 440lbs. for their light duty 22 ton, to 530 for their 22 ton VH model, up to 700 lbs. for their 34 ton VH.

As for weight for the Flack Hill knockoffs..., it depends on which model of Super Split they copied. Perhaps an owner here knows?

Hope this helped,

Lance

As an aside... The most interesting utilization of the inertial splitter has to be the LogRite. Rather than ripping off the SS design, they have their base splitter made by Super Split. However, Logrite then takes the concept and runs with it. Check out the video...

[video]http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_zAEps8cCxs[/video]​

Thats nice. I like the built in winch.

I added the receiver you see the tongue sticking into, put the foot in there when towing. Added the driveway marker post so I can see it over the tailgate when towing. Added the hatchet holder. Added the reflector on the back. Added the tachometer and made a new lower actuating handle. Everything else is the way it came. It uses a 4 hp honda engine.

Is the tongue set-up under the work table (that tee section) custom or factory? Thanks DW

The tongue set-up is factory, I usually take out the tongue to get it out of the way when splitting. If you would like to try it out you are welcome, I am 25 miles south of Canton Ohio and I have plenty of wood that needs split.

Thanks for all the info and the offer to try yours. Kind of like twenty questions:msp_wink: I think the unit sort of speaks for itself and there just isn't a whole lot out there as far as pics, info etc. Thanks again for all the help! DW

After finding a inertia type splitter tucked under a pine tree in Maine that was built in the 70's, the idea of everyone knocking off supersplits design seems foreign to me. I won't knock supersplit as they build a great product, however I never really cared for the idea of a patent. I think Supersplit is a great example of the lack of a need for a patent process. If you build a great quality product at a great price people will buy it. Tractor supplies mechanical splitter is another good example, just the other way around.

Zogger,

It depends on the inertial splitter in question. The inventors of the concept, supersplit ...

Supersplit did not invent their splitter design, nor even the concept of a flywheel driven gear rack.

I like Supersplit splitters, they sell themselves without making false claims or putting others down.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back