Who is legally responsible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spotted Owl, yes Sir...I "am" hungry. I do not have the funding to get me out of trouble if it turns that way. I'm pretty certain I am fine so far...those hiking trails are bothering me though. Plus the fact of finding those stumps...I am certain I cut them 15 years ago, so somewhere right in there has to be the line. Which, I haven't cut in that area just yet. I'm not burnt yet just real warm.

As far as other timber to cut...I was right smack in the middle of 300 acres till Tuesday evening, then I got the call to move Wednesday. I'm his only full time cutter, my side kick only shows when he wants to. I go where the boss sends me.

edit- I thought you wrote a book...you just meant "in your book" (summation right)

Last edited:
twochains, I hole hartedly agree with all these guys, but I know you need to work,i have been there many times heck i'm still there prolly allways will be sounds like you know the risk like most of us all I can really say is watch your back proseed with extreme caution good luck my friend let us know how turns out we'll be prayin for a good outcome ............ mike

I guess the bottom line is you do what you have to do. Nobody knows your situation like you do. I would still contact the enforcing agencies to find out for sure the, whats, whens, wheres and who's about all of this.

In the end it's your call. All anyone here can do is advise on their own experience. As Old Timer said, laws vary, get things in writing. Anything yo get here is worth exactly what you paid for it in the end.

You have to protect you and yours, no one will do that for you. Good luck to ya, and I hope it will all work out in the end with good results.

Owl

You could go down to the local court house and get a copy of the deed/legal description for that land and surrounding lands. Then from these you can measure out to find the property lines and corners, and ribbon them in. Once you have that done contact all of the adjoining neighbors and get their written consent that they have seen and inspected the ribboned property lines and agree with their position.

As a forester I do this quite often when an owner of a tract of timber doesn't want to pay for a survey.

Cutting across a line knowingly or unknowingly can cost you big, so if you aren't sure just pass.

You could go down to the local court house and get a copy of the deed/legal description for that land and surrounding lands. Then from these you can measure out to find the property lines and corners, and ribbon them in. Once you have that done contact all of the adjoining neighbors and get their written consent that they have seen and inspected the ribboned property lines and agree with their position.

As a forester I do this quite often when an owner of a tract of timber doesn't want to pay for a survey.

Cutting across a line knowingly or unknowingly can cost you big, so if you aren't sure just pass.

I have done exactly that,it really put my mind at ease :msp_thumbsup:

Update

Well...I must be an idiot for staying on this job...it just keeps getting worse! I almost got bit by the LO's pit bull packing out of the woods! They had to come get his dumb ass! I have always had a yard full of pit bulls, so I ain't skeerd of them until they act like this one. It is one of those coward bastards that try to get ya as your walking off! :bang: I'd blow that thing's head slick off if it was mine.

So boss came out this morning and I informed him of the situation...he isn't happy. The LO put out some ribbons the first day I was there, well...the line wasn't correct! Fortunately I was gauging by the side of the house and didn't cut any further, the LO had ribboned about 50ft on the adjacent property! The neighbor came and told him his ribbons weren't right and they went down and fixed it. I was 15ft from going over the line!!! The neighbor doesn't like the LO I am cutting on and told him that if ANY TREES were cut over there that there was going to be trouble. To top it off the neighbor asked why we were cutting the timber and the dumb ass LO told the guy he was clear cutting to put in low income apartments...it's like REALLY????? Why say something like that to someone who already doesn't like you?!

When my boss heard this he made the LO sign us off and take full responsibility for the property line. I guess the LO said NO! My boss told him he wouldn't get a penny from the logs until he signed the papers...so he did!

I asked the boss if I could go back to the 300 acres I was cutting and he said that if I would stay and finish it quick I would get a large bonus. So needless to say I was cutting like a banshee just trying to get done and out of this situation.

I had my side kick cutting with me today and we cut this hollar that is BAADD steep! If the back cut is 4 in off the ground, the notch was over 2ft. on the other side. I like sending trees in the steep ground though...I get a kick out of the 20ft jumps off the stumps. Too bad I have to run the chokers 2moro to get them all out. The tops that have been catching the up draft out the hollar are so swept it's crazy. I made some really nice "swings" today using a technique I saw the skidder OP use once. I put in a conventional to the lean and put a humbolt in the other side for the swing. Using the hinge to swing in to the humbolt. It worked very well today. That has got to have a name..but I live in an area where there are no names for notches so I still don't know what it's called.

Anyway, me and my sidekick are cutting on pins and needles and that doesn't make for a great day. We stayed up top, away from the lower "invisible" line. We are pretty crowded and logs are stacking up waaay faster than what the skidder can get them out. This entire job sucks to say the least! Probably one of my worst in 19 years!

glad to hear your boss is back and sounds like he's handleing the responsibility,like you said hurry up and get it over with but don't let all the b.s. make you cut corners on your safety ....dogs don,t like ether :msp_sneaky:

Oh Hell...I forgot to mention that when I was cutting Friday before the lightening ran me off, the mechanic brought me 5 gallons of gas and set it on the knuckle boom frame. It was raining something fierce...in my mad rush for the truck I must have never seen the gas jug. I get to work this morning and NO GAS! The POS tweakers must have helped themselves....awesome! :bang:

Latest posts

Back