Who Kiln dries firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BILLSFIREWOOD

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all! We run a small home made kiln. It works great off the outdoor wood boiler. We hand stake 7 cords. But we will be gowing to 1/3 cord baskits. Peaple love the wood and we get a prime for it. Wen others have green wood we have seasond firewood.

Who kiln dries firewood?... those who want dry firewood in a hurry in suppose.:biggrin: At any rate thats my .02 cents enjoy

I would acutally like see some pictures of your setup I have sold firewood for the last 4-5 years took this year off just no time too much work. I was small time I only process about 15-20 cords, It was enough to cover Christmas and spending money when I needed it. There are 4 people I could see from my moms driveway selling firewood this year and not one of them knew what a cord was all they would show me was a face cord or 1/3 of a cord. None of the selllers in this area I dont think even offer cords I did but no one would by that much at one shot but I did at least offer it. Oh well there is next year as soon as it hardens up anyway.

hope it's working for you!:msp_thumbup: sounds like way too much of a hassle to me, too much handling so to say. the wood will dry just fine if left to its own accords.

The reason for kiln dried firewood, isn't to produce usable firewood faster. Its to kill the parasites that live in or on the wood. In many states where wood is sold commercially and its not kiln dried, it may only be sold within a restricted area. The Emerald Ash Borer is a perfect example

I think this could be viable IF you had access to a lot of unsellable wood that you could use to heat the kiln with.

Being able to advertise "kiln dried" will quickly separate your wood from all the other local sellers. Even if you don't charge a premium, just a regular "fair" price, the quality of what you could deliver would result in a lot of repeat sales and word of mouth advertising new customers. And as pointed out, it helps sterilize the wood, kills the bugs, etc.

Kiln drying also lets you sell "on demand" custom wood. Someone wants a certain custom size, you can cover it, and deliver it seasoned. Keep your wood stacked in log form, and then cut and split to specifications and deliver within a few days..hot fresh from the oven.

And for my loot, if you could add in a commercial greenhouse to the operation, and pipe the hot moist air into it from the kiln..see how you can get paid more for the same work? A greenhouse with a few different crops, all hydroponic (hi yield per square foot), fresh local ripe veggies for sale, in the winter off season, along with real good seasoned wood, all based on "junk wood" no one wants for the energy source..it could work.

Who kiln dries firewood?... those who want dry firewood in a hurry in suppose.:biggrin: At any rate thats my .02 cents enjoy

I would acutally like see some pictures of your setup I have sold firewood for the last 4-5 years took this year off just no time too much work. I was small time I only process about 15-20 cords, It was enough to cover Christmas and spending money when I needed it. There are 4 people I could see from my moms driveway selling firewood this year and not one of them knew what a cord was all they would show me was a face cord or 1/3 of a cord. None of the selllers in this area I dont think even offer cords I did but no one would by that much at one shot but I did at least offer it. Oh well there is next year as soon as it hardens up anyway.

Hi gulity hear is some pic

drying firewood

Yes Dalmation 90 it is a dehumedifier. It works up to 100 then is shouts doun and the kiln gos to 150.We can get the firewood in 3 days but I leve it in for 6 days. The firewood it at 5 to7% on top 1" are 2". It is the best firewood I can do.

I think this could be viable IF you had access to a lot of unsellable wood that you could use to heat the kiln with.

Being able to advertise "kiln dried" will quickly separate your wood from all the other local sellers. Even if you don't charge a premium, just a regular "fair" price, the quality of what you could deliver would result in a lot of repeat sales and word of mouth advertising new customers. And as pointed out, it helps sterilize the wood, kills the bugs, etc.

Kiln drying also lets you sell "on demand" custom wood. Someone wants a certain custom size, you can cover it, and deliver it seasoned. Keep your wood stacked in log form, and then cut and split to specifications and deliver within a few days..hot fresh from the oven.

And for my loot, if you could add in a commercial greenhouse to the operation, and pipe the hot moist air into it from the kiln..see how you can get paid more for the same work? A greenhouse with a few different crops, all hydroponic (hi yield per square foot), fresh local ripe veggies for sale, in the winter off season, along with real good seasoned wood, all based on "junk wood" no one wants for the energy source..it could work.

Yes to it all.

Air drying for one year, then running it through the kiln would seem more economical.

The wood in the kiln needs to remain at 170*F for 90 minutes in WI. The main concern is fungal/insect control. Moisture content is a secondary benefit.

I've had wood come from a state certified kiln and while the bugs/fungus was dead, the wood still retained so much moisture that it just smoldered and sizzled.

Dehumidifier in an enclosed space. What a novel idea.

Air drying for one year, then running it through the kiln would seem more economical.

The wood in the kiln needs to remain at 170*F for 90 minutes in WI. The main concern is fungal/insect control. Moisture content is a secondary benefit.

I've had wood come from a state certified kiln and while the bugs/fungus was dead, the wood still retained so much moisture that it just smoldered and sizzled.

Dehumidifier in an enclosed space. What a novel idea.

Hi moisture content is y we do it .Hear in NC for now insect control is not controld but will be. 5 out of 6 days we hold 150*F and can get it hotter, but for wot I need now this is good for us.

Min temp is 160 deg to bring it into NH. Drying can be handled by proper seasoning. I have access to a bunch of Oak out of state but with cost for transportation plus having to heat it first, it's not looking like a worthwhile venture.

Anyone ever microwave wood? :)

Water conducts heat. Wood is an insulator.

Don't know the math, but I'd reckon for insect control they'd require the year old logs to spend LONGER in the kiln to reach the appropriate internal temperature.

How big is your heat exchanger? It looks small from the picture. The person who built my kiln mounted the exchanger st an angle towards the wall. When the air blows through it it headed down the wall. There is another fan on the back door that keeps the air moving around the wood. They told me to keep the wood about 6-8"s off the walls so the air could move around it. I was told not to stack the wood but to have it in backets or in the kiln loose thrown. I run mine at 195 from the wood boiler. Why are you only running at 150? How does yours get the air out of the kiln when it sweats? Next tim I unload it I'll get some pics for you.

Scott

How big is your heat exchanger? It looks small from the picture. The person who built my kiln mounted the exchanger st an angle towards the wall. When the air blows through it it headed down the wall. There is another fan on the back door that keeps the air moving around the wood. They told me to keep the wood about 6-8"s off the walls so the air could move around it. I was told not to stack the wood but to have it in backets or in the kiln loose thrown. I run mine at 195 from the wood boiler. Why are you only running at 150? How does yours get the air out of the kiln when it sweats? Next tim I unload it I'll get some pics for you.

Scott

Hi Scott The new coil in it is a lot bigger. Will get pics t whin it is unload. We have the big fan you see and one is on a angle. Wood boiler is at 190 and whin the firewood gets to 150 all fans off for 2mi and then the vent fan runs till 140.

Back