who made the first modern chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Ok

I give up. I don't usually do this, but to stop a pissing match I will come clean and admit that I invented the first modern chain saw. It took me a long time to figure out how to get the anti matter drive to work without increasing the amount of dark matter in the universe and thereby causing the proliferation of black holes to eat all existing matter. Once I got the patent it was inevitable that I would be recognized as master of the known universe. What is even less well known is that Gary created the OIL that all saws (except electric and pneumatic) run on, and also bar oil (that is oil that you get at a bar and thereby become "well oiled"). Of the two creations I must confess that Gary's is probably superior to mine. JR

I give up. I don't usually do this, but to stop a pissing match I will come clean and admit that I invented the first modern chain saw. It took me a long time to figure out how to get the anti matter drive to work without increasing the amount of dark matter in the universe and thereby causing the proliferation of black holes to eat all existing matter. Once I got the patent it was inevitable that I would be recognized as master of the known universe. What is even less well known is that Gary created the OIL that all saws (except electric and pneumatic) run on, and also bar oil (that is oil that you get at a bar and thereby become "well oiled"). Of the two creations I must confess that Gary's is probably superior to mine. JR

this proves beyond all doubt that jra1100 IS....................................

AL GORE. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

From my research I found in 1925 E. Ring Company of Berlin [Germany]produced 2 chainsaws [Erco and Rinco] ,fully portable gas powered chainsaw.And get this the companies 2 salesmen were Andreas Stihl and Emil Lerp [Dolmar founder]
I have travelled through Stuttgart[Stihls home town] a few years back, saw the Mercedes Benz factory, museum. Got to the Stihl factory but just missed a tour of the factory with some Stihl dealers from Cypress, was told if I waited a few days I could catch the next tour.Didn't wait and my wife and I were off to Munich to catch the Ocktoberfest, the Volkfest in Stuttgart was smaller scale but excellent though [didn't touch beer for weeks after LOL] I found out that more patents were drawn up in Stuttgart then any where else in the world even since before the start of the industrial revolution to present times. This was definately an advantage for Stihl.
Referring back to the 1919 Swedish Sector saw[claimed to be the first fully portable gas-powered chainsaw]. A patent was also made in Manitoba Canada in 1919 by a millwright James Shand,a few years before he built a bar and chain powered by a 1 cylinder gas engine driven by a Bowden cable and used it on the job at Manitoba Bridge and Iron Works . I saw James Shands chain patent display about a month ago at the Manitoba Museum Of Man And Nature. In 1919 he promoted 2 working models on the PNW coast of Canada.

Last edited:
This thread doesn't make sense when it comes down to it.

There are two different lines of thought going on here.

Are we discussing who is credited with the first patient on what we define as the first chainsaw or are we trying to find out which manufacturer can be credited with what we call by todays standard a modern chainsaw.

The thread starts out asking who invented or can be credited with creation of the modern chainsaw. My definition of a modern chainsaw has it's roots more in the 40's and 50's not back in the 20's. I doubt some of those early machines cut very fast and were probaly not all that reliable for any serious commercial use. They might have been a tad faster than two guys on crosscut.

Back then labor was cheap and plentiful and that was the way it was done. A modern chainsaw as we know it enabled one man to do the work of let's say a crew of men with hand tools.

Larry

That was basically my thought as well, the first 'modern' lightweight chainsaw...

Originally Posted by Ax-man

Are we discussing who is credited with the first patient on what we define as the first chainsaw or are we trying to find out which manufacturer can be credited with what we call by todays standard a modern chainsaw.

The thread starts out asking who invented or can be credited with creation of the modern chainsaw. My definition of a modern chainsaw has it's roots more in the 40's and 50's not back in the 20's. I doubt some of those early machines cut very fast and were probaly not all that reliable for any serious commercial use. They might have been a tad faster than two guys on crosscut.

Back then labor was cheap and plentiful and that was the way it was done. A modern chainsaw as we know it enabled one man to do the work of let's say a crew of men with hand tools.

Larry

Sorry about that. I had it deleted for a bit. Just glad someone else is calling it the way I see it.

Personally, I think the thread poster got his own thread sidetracked. Asking one thing and answering on another line of thought.

Larry

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ax-man

Larry

That was basically my thought as well, the first 'modern' lightweight chainsaw...

That's why I mentioned the Comet earlier in the thread.......:cheers:

From my research I found in 1925 E. Ring Company of Berlin [Germany]produced 2 chainsaws [Erco and Rinco] ,fully portable gas powered chainsaw.And get this the companies 2 salesmen were Andreas Stihl and Emil Lerp [Dolmar founder]
I have travelled through Stuttgart[Stihls home town] a few years back, saw the Mercedes Benz factory, museum. Got to the Stihl factory but just missed a tour of the factory with some Stihl dealers from Cypress, was told if I waited a few days I could catch the next tour.Didn't wait and my wife and I were off to Munich to catch the Ocktoberfest, the Volkfest in Stuttgart was smaller scale but excellent though [didn't touch beer for weeks after LOL] I found out that more patents were drawn up in Stuttgart then any where else in the world even since before the start of the industrial revolution to present times. This was definately an advantage for Stihl.
Referring back to the 1919 Swedish Sector saw[claimed to be the first fully portable gas-powered chainsaw]. A patent was also made in Manitoba Canada in 1919 by a millwright James Shand,a few years before he built a bar and chain powered by a 1 cylinder gas engine driven by a Bowden cable and used it on the job at Manitoba Bridge and Iron Works . I saw James Shands chain patent display about a month ago at the Manitoba Museum Of Man And Nature. In 1919 he promoted 2 working models on the PNW coast of Canada.

Good job, puts things a bit into perspective......

There are several good candidates for the "prize", depending on definition and criteria - but Stihl is not one of them.

Good job, puts things a bit into perspective......

There are several good candidates for the "prize", depending on definition and criteria - but Stihl is not one of them.

I have a book called "CHAINSAWS A HISTORY" by David Lee in conjunction with Mike Acres. I bought this book from Baileys a little while back. Beautiful well done book with hundreds of excellent color photos. Best I have seen so far. Just read this book and you won't have to waste your time and patience with this thread that we are on.:)

I have a book called "CHAINSAWS A HISTORY" by David Lee in conjunction with Mike Acres. I bought this book from Baileys a little while back. Beautiful well done book with hundreds of excellent color photos. Best I have seen so far. Just read this book and you won't have to waste your time and patience with this thread that we are on.:)

LOL - I am here for fun, nothing else! :biggrinbounce2:

The book sounds like something I would want, have known about it for a while, but haven't got around to order one.

With your recommendation, I will probably get a copy.

:yourock:

Latest posts

Back