who makes the best diesel truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford's Lawncare

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but this is a pretty simple question:Who makes the best diesel truck? I am pretty sure at this point I am going to get a diesel. I want to buy one by springtime, either a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. I am looking more at Dodge or GM. I guess each one has their pro's and con's. I will be using this primarily pulling trailers, when I'm mowing lawns, however it's secondary use will be hauling firewood and snowplowing. If I get a 1 ton, I would get a dump body, but if I get a 3/4 ton I would probably get a dump trailer to haul the firewood. Right now I have a 1985 3/4 Chevy gas job, which is starting to cost more and more money to keep it running. I want a good realiable, work truck, that I don't have to cross my fingers every time I go to start it. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Dan

Toyota Hilux. :popcorn:

Not avaible in the US, but it's gotta be the best truck ever made. A motoring show in the Uk tried to kill one, but couldn't. After sinking it overnight in the sea, they finally tied it down to the top of a 10 story building that was being blown-up. After the demolition, they dug it out and managed to get it runing and drive it.

Pretty impressive.

I really like my Duramax 3/4 ton I do not know if it is the best but I pull a 14 ft dump bed and really like it.

Huck

I really like my Duramax 3/4 ton I do not know if it is the best but I pull a 14 ft dump bed and really like it.

Huck

I'm with Huck.....

I have had Dodges , the Cummings passed everything om the road when they first came out. Just dumped a Power Stroker, glad it had some time remaining on an extended service plan as it was a total POS. (ball joints at 50K , EGR cooler at 60K Transmision 'one-way' clutch at 70K (transmission hard-parts, wouldn't auto down shift 4-3 down a grade) you get the picture)

I drove a friends Duramax and really liked it, she has close to 100K on it and had to bring it back cause one of the seat-belts stuck sometime,,,,,, in other words, nota problem.

I am however from the school that if you are going to be using the h311 out of a truck, and can justify the mid-sized trucks, truly research those options.

ford or chevy: not dodge

My dads friend use to have a 1 ton dodge deisel and he sold it after a couple years. he said he hated it. Within a year he was having all kinds of electrical problems. He now has a F-450 and it is nice and boy can it pull. If you want a 3/4 ton i would go for the ford. the 1 ton i would go for the chevy or gm.

In keeping things short and sweet...

The Cummins is the only true medium duty diesel of the big three and is generally considered the best diesel powerplant. The Duramax certainly hasn't gotten many complaints though, and the truck has the best road ride.

I'd say you wouldn't go wrong with either Dodge or Chevy :cool:

The Cummins is a good motor. Diesel power said it has two things you need to
look into. One was a lift pump - don't remember the second.

Diehard chevy man here

My whole family has been driving GM's since the dawn of time, they have tried the others but none could hold up on the farms of Texas.

However those were gas models, when someone needed a power plant they went diesel so in the 70's or so it was the Ford 6.9L that would move anything you could latch to it. Everyone knew the Chevy 6.2 and 6.5 weren't worth much because they were converted from gasoline models instead of designed from scratch, but there's always a few good ones in the bunch and we did find them and loved it. Now on to Dodge, they have had the long standing rep in the diesel market for trucks in the 3/4-1 ton range. When I had to start pulling 24K lbs then I turned to the dodge and can pass just about anyone on the road with it and turning 263,000 miles this week on a 2001.

I have a lot of friends who are in the hotshot business and the majority of them will agree if you need the power for the big loads then it's a Cummins engine or nothing. If you are looking at brand new trucks then GM is giving Dodge a run for the money in the 2008 models.

I'm still begging someone to get a Caterpillar into a 1 ton chassis.

I'm still begging someone to get a Caterpillar into a 1 ton chassis.

Well, you can get them in Ferd F550s and above... Of course you can get a Cummins in them too :D

A Cat powerplant would be sweet for the right application! But they don't wind up real fast making them less ideal for the majority of road drivers. Not saying it would stop me from buying a Cat powered truck though :clap: :clap:

Well, you can get them in Ferd F550s and above... Of course you can get a Cummins in them too :D

A Cat powerplant would be sweet for the right application! But they don't wind up real fast making them less ideal for the majority of road drivers. Not saying it would stop me from buying a Cat powered truck though :clap: :clap:

I've had a GM 7500 dump with a cat and truly enjoyed the power but haven't seen a smaller truck with one yet, gonna have to go test drive one of them "Ferds" lol.:cheers:

I've had a GM 7500 dump with a cat and truly enjoyed the power but haven't seen a smaller truck with one yet, gonna have to go test drive one of them "Ferds" lol.:cheers:

Hmmmmm... I could've sworn the F550 and above had the engine options. Maybe they just had to be special ordered...

F-750 Super Duty® Chassis Cab Summary
The F-750 Super Duty ranks at the top of the Ford commercial truck line, offering a maximum 33,000 lb. GVWR rating for Class 7 models. This truck will be appreciated by customers for its wide variety of Caterpillar or Cummins engine options, wheelbase/CA offerings, axle availability, tire selection, manual or automatic transmissions and fuel tank offerings - Built Ford Tough for the tough, every day jobs.
GVWR ratings - 30,000 and 33,000 lbs.
GCWR rating - 80,000 lbs.

Everyone knew the Chevy 6.2 and 6.5 weren't worth much because they were converted from gasoline models instead of designed from scratch, but there's always a few good ones in the bunch and we did find them and loved it.

The 6.2 and 6.5 were diesels from the bottom up designed by Detroit Diesel. You're probably thinking of the 5.7 Olds from about 1980.

6.2 production 1982-1993 engine codes LH6 and LL4
6.5 production 1992-2001 engine codes L56, L57 and L65

A liitle about it:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/62book.htm

All of the 2008 diesels are new technology. They all added displacement and new emission requirements. The "regen" process has cut fuel economy and has caused problems. I would not buy a 2008 diesel. Toyota is supposed to have a diesel pickup next year.

Idk who said for 08 gm was giving dodge a run for its money..
Dodge is making a ram 4500 and 5500 with 6 speed auto aisin or w.e trannies.

The topkick models are nice butthe new rams look really good on paper too.

All of the 2008 diesels are new technology. They all added displacement and new emission requirements. The "regen" process has cut fuel economy and has caused problems. I would not buy a 2008 diesel.

I agree completly. All the new diesel requirements is a sad thing to see happen but I knew it would come in time.

Idk who said for 08 gm was giving dodge a run for its money..
Dodge is making a ram 4500 and 5500 with 6 speed auto aisin or w.e trannies.

Dodge is a bit late with with those trucks too as Ford and GM have been offering trucks of that class for years. I'm glad to see them finally do it though.

Last edited:
The 6.2 and 6.5 were diesels from the bottom up designed by Detroit Diesel. You're probably thinking of the 5.7 Olds from about 1980.

6.2 production 1982-1993 engine codes LH6 and LL4
6.5 production 1992-2001 engine codes L56, L57 and L65

A liitle about it:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/62book.htm

:bowdown: :bowdown:

I stand corrected, I'm always up for learning something new but that was just what some of the local GM mechanics had told some of us years ago.

The 6.2's and 6.5's that we ever had in Texas couldn't pull much of anything with the exception of a few engines here and there.

Last edited:
I'd have to say the Ford truck with the GM engine and transmission.

i kinda agree with this. i have a 98 f250 with the 5.4l triton and the ride is still much better than my 08 3500hd duramax.

this is my second duramax(1st was 2004 2500hd) and i believe that the duramax/allison combo is just about perfect. i hate the epa crap on my 08, the egr tripped the check engine light and by design the exhaust filter cleaner system was knocked out, back pressure and heat thus blown head(great system huh?).

i have little experience with the dodge, but a buddy has one and he liked my gmc(2004), but the 2008 has a smaller feeling cab.

i think that gm did put a cat in the 1 ton duallies in the late 80's/early 90's.

dave

Latest posts

Back