who makes the best diesel truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said power is no problem it does not need any more of that
I passed up hill towing a 53 foot wedge with two custom horse trailers
and it was duramax I passed! Dpf is foreign language to me
I have turned many wrenches in older stuff but these new fangled
contraptions,don't have a clue.

Power is just a bonus to the better fuel economy you will get with a good tuner. The DPF is on all new diesels (07 and up I believe) it traps particules and increases the exhaust gas temperture to burn it before it leaves the exhaust to help the enviroment:confused: sorry for the vague explanation but in short it kills your fuel economy but if you get rid of it make sure you keep your factory exhaust if you need to go in for service because they will probably void your warranty if they see you removed your DPF.

Power is just a bonus to the better fuel economy you will get with a good tuner. The DPF is on all new diesels (07 and up I believe) it traps particules and increases the exhaust gas temperture to burn it before it leaves the exhaust to help the enviroment:confused: sorry for the vague explanation but in short it kills your fuel economy but if you get rid of it make sure you keep your factory exhaust if you need to go in for service because they will probably void your warranty if they see you removed your DPF.
I have the extended and don't want to jeopardize it.

"CAT hands down.

797B, 3600 hp.

I am disposing of the dump boxes as they are replaced.....each is about 100,000 lbs alone."

100,000 lbs. That would fetch a pretty penny at the scrap yard. Figure around $10,000 maybe a hair less. Thats at about .10 cents a pound which is what the local scrap yard around here pays. But then again 10 grand won't buy much fuel for that thing.

The Nissan Navara pick up seems to be a huge seller over in the uk
Fast, Comfy, 30 mpg, Nice looking and a great towing capacity

"CAT hands down.

797B, 3600 hp.

I am disposing of the dump boxes as they are replaced.....each is about 100,000 lbs alone."

100,000 lbs. That would fetch a pretty penny at the scrap yard. Figure around $10,000 maybe a hair less. Thats at about .10 cents a pound which is what the local scrap yard around here pays. But then again 10 grand won't buy much fuel for that thing.

We have a contract with a scrap dealer so by the time they cut it up, load, transport it at least 250 miles etc what we get is a lot less. Still about $500k a year net proceeds none the less. 21 of these boxes are going to be replaced over the next nine months.

My 05 E350 with 6.0 Power Stroke has been to the dealer too many times already, (EGR problems, faulty cam sensor's twice, turbo clogging with soot, trans issues) on top of that with just supplies in the van we only get about 10 miles to the gallon. I'll admit it dose have power but the problem are too much to deal with. The old 7.3 Power Stroke may have been a bit of a dog compared to the newer Diesels, but they ran everyday. Were supoposed to be getting in some new GMC Express vans with the 250HP Duramax, I drove one the other day, thay are really quiet.

This site will make all Cummins fans smile. My favorite would be a 80s 1 ton Chevy PU with the Cummins engine and allison trans.

http://destroked.com/

My 2000 dodge cummins has 150,000 miles on it and the only thing really done to it other than regular maintenance Is to get rid of the bad fuel system that came with it. The lift pumps were a joke. I replaced 4 or 5 of them since ive owned it and finally put the fass fuel system on. No problems now with fuel pressure. It is not a rocket but will pull all i need it to. Would i buy another, i don't know as they are very expesive right now. Probably couldn't afford one and diesel is a lot higher than gas. Would have to really think about it now. a gas engine would do what i need to do.

World wide I would say the toyota hilux has to be well up on the list, its found in the most inhospitable places on earth, its hard working, rugged, effiecient, affordable and reliable. Found everywhere US trucks arent (which is just about everywhere outside the american continent) Heck they even had a war named after them.

Heres one put to good use by some CIA backed freedom fighters

Last edited:
The best pick up truck is the Ford superduty, the best diesel engine is the 5.9 Cummins. Too bad that truck does not exist unless you do the swap.

not really... hands down a 12valve Cummins Turbo diesel is the best!

97 was the last full production year for 12v cummins and is considered the best year. 12v cummins are the most trouble free diesel on the road.

key is mechanical fuel injection, very forgiving and can run 50% waste motor oil with zero mods. tuffer than nails... stay away from 98.5-2002 cummins with VP44 electronic fuel injection.... you can thank me later...

if you must have a newer truck... go with 2003 or newer. general rule of thumb is newer the truck... the more picky the fuel requirements.

my 97 CTD get 20-22 mpg on the road.... I've pull 30k+ lbs with no problems. easily bombed to 400hp with little $$ invested. torque converter/clutch has to be beefed up to take extra power.

This is goona be like the best chainsaw thread....
:popcorn:

The best pick up truck is the Ford superduty, the best diesel engine is the 5.9 Cummins. Too bad that truck does not exist unless you do the swap.
+1 I have a rancher friend and they use and abuse the trucks they have. He loves his f350 but hates the motor I don't care much for internationals also. 12 valve Cummings is the way to go great mileage good power,and most important low maintenance. Here's one for ya I have a 1980 GMC that had a 350 olds diesel in it originally what a piece of junk!! now it has a 307 olds but at one time wile my buddy owned it it had a 425 olds. But at 400hp and tons's of torque it at up the half ton drive train so he down graded to the 307 to save fuel and were and tare plus he wanted the motor for his Tornado.Again Cummins 12 valve in all the big three would make everyone happy.

+1 I have a rancher friend and they use and abuse the trucks they have. He loves his f350 but hates the motor I don't care much for internationals also. 12 valve Cummings is the way to go great mileage good power,and most important low maintenance. Here's one for ya I have a 1980 GMC that had a 350 olds diesel in it originally what a piece of junk!! now it has a 307 olds but at one time wile my buddy owned it it had a 425 olds. But at 400hp and tons's of torque it at up the half ton drive train so he down graded to the 307 to save fuel and were and tare plus he wanted the motor for his Tornado.Again Cummins 12 valve in all the big three would make everyone happy.

The 12 valve cummins is a great motor to bad you have to buy a dodge to get it.

I'm all for the dodge cummins combination myself, I own an 02 Ram 2500 24 Valve pulling truck, little brother has a 97 Ram 2500 12 Valve, friend has a 91 Ram D250 12 Valve, and the work truck my friend and I use is a bone stock2000 Ram 3500 24 Valve with a 9 foot flatbed.
The 2000 is a working truck, serves as a skidder, log truck, woods truck, scrap metal hauler, you name it it's hauled it i think... had a full size lincoln continental on the back of it, don't as me how we got it on there. I'll post a pic of it.

The black truck is the 2000 Ram 3500 24 Valve
The Red and Silver truck is my truck (the 2002 Ram 2500)

12V Cummins without a doubt... Only problem with them is the stock Auto's had a POS Converter in them, pop a billet converter in it and your good to go. The manuals had more power and were pretty much indestructible. Best driveline without question. Front suspension pieces, namely the track bars, wore out too quickly as they weren't designed to carry the heavy Cummins (notice its not "Cummings"). Throw on a track bar from Don Thuren or DT ProFab and your all set.

Also keep in mind, the 12V has 0 electronics on it besides the fuel shutoff solenoid. Mine has a cable in place of the solenoid, so I can literally run the truck with no batteries, or alternator, and it won't die.

The Fords have a great chassis, just a poor excuse for an engine, and the Chevy's have a great engine in the Duramax, almost as good as the Cummins, but the chassis doesn't last if its beaten, or overloaded. IFS has a lot to do with that.

My 97 12V:
0915081559a.jpg

Still waiting to get the new 35" X-Terrains mounted up, the 33" BFG A/T's are about shot...

And my old 95 with 35" BFG A/T's:
Truck.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back