who makes the best diesel truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come back and see me little boy when you have your own truck to brag about instead of your boss's.:D

attachment.php

I sold my 06 in spring this year........I dont need a truck like this anymore....Im switching to a new single rear when I see something I like...

I dont need to brag about my trucks.......I just use them......

Last edited:
I plow snow with 2 Dodge's, never had a lick of trouble... Of course, the first thing either one of them got was a Thuren track bar, once that was in, nothing else failed. Brakes are great, ball joints have held up better than the Fords we used to have (except the D60's with King Pins). The ONLY thing we ever had a problem with when plowing snow was front U-Joints in the driveshaft, because without grease fittings they all suck.

BTW... My 12V's are a hell of a lot quieter than a 24V, or a 6.0, or 7.3, and they both have exhaust systems on them. Even with the stacks on my 97 highway drone is about the same as the stock Ford system. The GM trucks sure are refined, but if you're that limp wristed you really don't need to be driving a diesel truck now do you?

so IFS is used in MOST applications. How many Mack, Western Star, Volvo, Freightliner, etc, etc, etc, trucks do you see with IFS? NONE. How many rock crawler rigs do you see with IFS? NONE. How many full blown pulling trucks do you see with IFS? There might be a handful, but the vast majority are solid axle, solid suspension fronts. IFS will NEVER be stronger than a solid front axle, there are just too many moving parts, and joints to fail.

Are the Mack, Western Star, Volvo, Freightliner, etc, etc, etc you mention power axles or just solid steer axles???......

I could not believe that the Dodge 2500,3500 2 wheel drives are .....IFS ....:) :)

I'm the market for a new 2500 4x4 and will keep looking .........Not sure who is going to be making them in the near future...

Last edited:
man... you are in the driver's seat... if you are in the market for a diesel truck. prices are wild!

for instance... a 2005 cummins diesel... I've seen $10k to $25k asking prices... the widest range I've ever seen.

12v cummins traditionally have one of the best resale value. a low mileage 12v typically will bring the same $$ as a much newer truck. even 12v prices have dropped...

if you are thinking dodge... stay away from 98.5-2002 models... you can thank me later...

go with 94-98 12v or 2003- newer CTD... with prices soooo low.. I'd go with a low miles 2003-2004...which is supposed to be the best years for common rail cummins.

there's a 2004 extended cab 2500 for $8900 on craigslist tulsa.. looks a bit rough.

Are the Mack, I'm the market for a new 2500 4x4 and will keep looking .........Not sure who is going to be making them in the near future...

man... you are in the driver's seat... if you are in the market for a diesel truck. prices are wild!

for instance... a 2005 cummins diesel... I've seen $10k to $25k asking prices... the widest range I've ever seen.

12v cummins traditionally have one of the best resale value. a low mileage 12v typically will bring the same $$ as a much newer truck. even 12v prices have dropped...

if you are thinking dodge... stay away from 98.5-2002 models... you can thank me later...

go with 94-98 12v or 2003- newer CTD... with prices soooo low.. I'd go with a low miles 2003-2004...which is supposed to be the best years for common rail cummins.

there's a 2004 extended cab 2500 for $8900 on craigslist tulsa.. looks a bit rough.

Most here in ks go to Oklahoma to buy theirs. The dealers just wont work with you. You can go south and buy the same $45.000 truck for $35.000. At least until now. For the first time ever they are selling off the rest of their 08s for $28.000. From what I understand these dealers have to buy whats left on the lot here shortly.

After reading all the posts, I'm so glad to have the non turbo 7.3. Only 175 hp, but its always there for me. The only problem I have with the truck, is every once in a while, there is a clunk under the drivers floor board. cant find anything loose though.

Are the Mack, Western Star, Volvo, Freightliner, etc, etc, etc you mention power axles or just solid steer axles???......

I could not believe that the Dodge 2500,3500 2 wheel drives are .....IFS ....:) :)

I'm the market for a new 2500 4x4 and will keep looking .........Not sure who is going to be making them in the near future...

Well since we were talking 4x4's. I was talking powered drive axles... 2WD's with IFS are more than capable of handling the lighter duty task's that are asked of them, they don't see rough terrain (or shouldn't), and they don't have to deal with steering and transmitting power. Thats why every P/U uses IFS in 2wd applications.

If you really think 3/4 ton trucks are going away you need to think again... People don't buy 3/4 ton trucks to haul people around like they do with 1/2 tons (which is why the 1/2 ton market is shot right now), they use them for work, and they will always use them for work. They are big moneymakers for manufacturers, and they won't let them die.

Nilz, if its a clunk under the drivers floorboard, check your leaf sring perch bushing... Its probably original and shot, see it a lot on older Ford's, Jeep's, Dodge's, Chevy's, basically anything with a leaf sprung front end.

Nilz, if its a clunk under the drivers floorboard, check your leaf sring perch bushing... Its probably original and shot, see it a lot on older Ford's, Jeep's, Dodge's, Chevy's, basically anything with a leaf sprung front end.

You know, I've never even thought of that. But, now that you mention it, it does make sense. I'll check. Is the bushing something I can get from Ford or NAPA? Thanks Motor.:)

You know, I've never even thought of that. But, now that you mention it, it does make sense. I'll check. Is the bushing something I can get from Ford or NAPA? Thanks Motor.:)

Absolutely, you can get them just about anywhere. If you are gonna keep the truck a while I'd recommend calling Energy Suspension and getting a set of Poly Bushings, they'll never wear out.

Well since we were talking 4x4's.I was talking powered drive axles... 2WD's with IFS are more than capable of handling the lighter duty task's that are asked of them, they don't see rough terrain (or shouldn't), and they don't have to deal with steering and transmitting power. Thats why every P/U uses IFS in 2wd applications.

If you really think 3/4 ton trucks are going away you need to think again... People don't buy 3/4 ton trucks to haul people around like they do with 1/2 tons (which is why the 1/2 ton market is shot right now), they use them for work, and they will always use them for work. They are big moneymakers for manufacturers, and they won't let them die.

Never said 3/4 tons were going away...Was talking about who was going to be building them.........There might be some big changes ahead in the brands....:) :)

Last edited:
Never said 3/4 tons were going away...Was talking about who was going to be building them.........There might be some big changes ahead in the brands....:) :)

Yup, you d-max versus cummins guys might see the end of the road soon with GM trying to buy Chrysler. If the govt says no, GM has enough extra cash to go to till next summer and then that is it....

The company that owns Chrysler now just bought it to resell for profit down the road, so it will be interesting to see what the future holds....and who will get the cummins contract, I bet ford would be going for it hard if they are still in business too.

Yup, you d-max versus cummins guys might see the end of the road soon with GM trying to buy Chrysler. If the govt says no, GM has enough extra cash to go to till next summer and then that is it....

The company that owns Chrysler now just bought it to resell for profit down the road, so it will be interesting to see what the future holds....and who will get the cummins contract, I bet ford would be going for it hard if they are still in business too.

From what I have seen the same bank owns controlling intrest in both GM and Chrysler and its looking very likely that they are going to loan the money to GM to buy Chrysler, not a done deal but looks like it. More than likely Chrysler will be killed off would be my bet. If that happens the Cummins contract is probly up for grabs. I may be going to GM or Ford for engine parts.

We'll see what happens, the auto industry thrives off of downturns like this, it just takes 5-10 years... Look at the 80's.

Cerberus said they would "Loan" GM the money to buy Chrysler if GM gave them GMAC... I highly doubt GM would give up their Cash Cow to buy Chrysler, its like getting nothing for something to them, they already have everything they want besides the Jeep brand, and Dodge going away.

However, if GM does get Chrysler, I would find it hard to believe that Dodge would go away, their are just too many loyalists, too much history, and too many sales for GM to axe them...

But what do I know...

We'll see what happens, the auto industry thrives off of downturns like this, it just takes 5-10 years... Look at the 80's.

Cerberus said they would "Loan" GM the money to buy Chrysler if GM gave them GMAC... I highly doubt GM would give up their Cash Cow to buy Chrysler, its like getting nothing for something to them, they already have everything they want besides the Jeep brand, and Dodge going away.

However, if GM does get Chrysler, I would find it hard to believe that Dodge would go away, their are just too many loyalists, too much history, and too many sales for GM to axe them...

But what do I know...

Not a damn thing like the rest of us........

I highly doubt GM would give up their Cash Cow to buy Chrysler, its like getting nothing for something to them, they already have everything they want besides the Jeep brand, and Dodge going away.

Since when is GMAC a cash cow? I thought they were losing money with all the 0% stuff and stopping the leasing.

Since when is GMAC a cash cow? I thought they were losing money with all the 0% stuff and stopping the leasing.

LOL... NO! GMAC since its inception has always been a huge money maker for GM. In the last year it hasn't done to well, but nothing has, and it will rebound. The thing with GMAC is, it almost always breaks even, even in these bad times, and almost never looses money, but when times are good to great, it makes tons of money, and is usually what makes GM's profits so inflated.

You can only speculate on what will happen, that is for sure. Even if you have loyalist, history and all that good stuff, profit is what matters. If none of the big 3 can generate profit, they better fix it or they will go bye-bye.

I hope they can turn it around though, I like what they have been coming out 100 times better compared to 10 years ago.

LOL... NO! GMAC since its inception has always been a huge money maker for GM. In the last year it hasn't done to well, but nothing has, and it will rebound. The thing with GMAC is, it almost always breaks even, even in these bad times, and almost never looses money, but when times are good to great, it makes tons of money, and is usually what makes GM's profits so inflated.

I meant to correct my post after I researched it a bit. I must have been thinking of the troubles Ford had with it's credit arma few years ago.

:dizzy:

I meant to correct my post after I researched it a bit. I must have been thinking of the troubles Ford had with it's credit arma few years ago.

:dizzy:

Hey, we all get a little back asswards every once in a while. I set my clocks an hour ahead saturday night, got to church awful early though! :givebeer:

And yeah, all we can do is speculate.. Who else is ready to pound a few to this plunking economy?

Last edited:
Back