who makes the best diesel truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but the aisin from what ive read isnt available in the 'regular' 3/4 and 1 ton trucks we are talking about. the 68rfe is a revised 48fre that was ok, but not great, the 68rfe is still new and the jury wont be back for a couple of years. no doubt the reputation of the aisin is good, comparabe to the allison, another husky-stihl debate infact. if we want to talk about the stirling/4500/5500 we should then compare to the kodiak, not the silverado, and the ally 3000/dmax combo...

the reason gm doesnt offer a stick, is why dodge put auto in almost all the finished trucks---theres no market for the stick. while i prefer a stick, in most situations the new intelligent autos are making that option extinct....

unfortunately(or fortunately) there is no option for towing 15klbs other than a diesel truck.... but my truck does infact work by hauling work gear(excavators and construction supplies), and visiting remote construction sites, but at the end of the day it is still civilized enough to take the wife and kids for a drive in.....

Alright, compare the 4500/5500 to the Kodiak... You and I both know the medium duty truck isn't the same class as the Class 4+5 Dodge. But, while the chassis's are way different, the Powertrains aren't. The Cummins/Aisin is considerably stronger than the Allison/D-Max that's in the Kodiak. Compare it to the F650/750... What engine is offered in that? The Cummins. Its offered with an Allison as well, smallest being the 2200. Most opt for the Eaton Fuller Trans.

The Aisin has payed its dues in the Mitsubishi Fuso trucks for years, and ask any real freight operator what trucks they'd have if they could afford them... The Kodiak or F-Series wouldn't be high on the list compared to Fuso, Sterling, FL, KW, or Pete... Its a different class of truck.

The 68RE is more than capable, its already got roughly 3 years on it, and I haven't seen any complaints, let alone failures.

All of the trucks I've driven are fine for highway cruising. Some might beat you up on back country roads slightly more than others, but they are the ones that generally last longer in the end. My trucks always get Bilstein shocks and eventually progressive springs anyways, so I'd be willing to bet my 99 2500 rides better than your Heavy Chevy. But of course, a little money can always buy better parts than stock...

but the aisin from what ive read isnt available in the 'regular' 3/4 and 1 ton trucks we are talking about. the 68rfe is a revised 48fre that was ok, but not great, the 68rfe is still new and the jury wont be back for a couple of years. no doubt the reputation of the aisin is good, comparabe to the allison, another husky-stihl debate infact. if we want to talk about the stirling/4500/5500 we should then compare to the kodiak, not the silverado, and the ally 3000/dmax combo...

the reason gm doesnt offer a stick, is why dodge put auto in almost all the finished trucks---theres no market for the stick. while i prefer a stick, in most situations the new intelligent autos are making that option extinct....

unfortunately(or fortunately) there is no option for towing 15klbs other than a diesel truck.... but my truck does infact work by hauling work gear(excavators and construction supplies), and visiting remote construction sites, but at the end of the day it is still civilized enough to take the wife and kids for a drive in.....

I am supposed to have the aisin in my 2007 3500 or at least my owners manual says so?

I am supposed to have the aisin in my 2007 3500 or at least my owners manual says so?

my understanding is that it is only available in the 3500 for cab-chassis and in all 4500/5500 and it isnt available in the 2500. from what ive read the difference in application with the 68rfe and aisin is the option for pto with the aisin...

Rope, unless you have a Cab/Chassis truck you've got the 68RFE. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a truck with the 68RFE, although it's new to the diesel, it's the same basic design that first came out in the 99 Grandcherokee with the 4.7 Engine.45FRE trans. And the 45RFE has been the trans in the trucks with the Hemi since 03, including the 3/4 and 1 tons.

It has a much more heavy duty converter, clutches etc. And in the diesel they make use of all the planataries, and made it into a 6 speed.

The 45RFE behind the 4.7 and Hemi has been excellent in my opinion, and haven't had any problems yet or anticipate allot of problems with the 68RFE behind the 6.7.

Unfortunately Dodge has such a bad reputation for tranys, it will take years for people to trust them

Last edited:
Rope, unless you have a Cab/Chassis truck you've got the 68RFE. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a truck with the 68RFE, although it's new to the diesel, it's the same basic design that first came out in the 99 Grandcherokee with the 4.7 Engine.45FRE trans. And the 45RFE has been the trans in the trucks with the Hemi since 03, including the 3/4 and 1 tons.

It has a much more heavy duty converter, clutches etc. And in the diesel they make use of all the planataries, and made it into a 6 speed.

The 45RFE behind the 4.7 and Hemi has been excellent in my opinion, and haven't had any problems yet or anticipate allot of problems with the 68RFE behind the 6.7.

Unfortunately Dodge has such a bad reputation for tranys, it will take years for people to trust them

I have several recalls it has to go in for soon I just hope the epa has not ruined the 6.7 I know the 6.0 I had was crap.

The EPA has ruined all the diesels, Big or small. The old ones would run forever, Like the old cummins. I really don't expect my 24 valve to last as long as the old 12 valves.

I has to ba a bushama conspiracy:rolleyes: They send all the jobs to foreigner's then build our vehicles where they don't run to bankrupt our azz. Then what few jobs that are left they devalue by catering to illegal labor.

The EPA has ruined all the diesels, Big or small. The old ones would run forever, Like the old cummins. I really don't expect my 24 valve to last as long as the old 12 valves.

i think the 24v does have a good rep, but the 12v is considered better.... as was mentioned it will be a while before people will truct a doge built tranny...

the epa has already ruined the diesel, and they should be trying to get us to convert to diesel. its easier, and less enviromentally harmful, to make the diesel, better ecomony, and the days of diesels blowing blake smoke are long gone.

my old lb7(2001) was easily capable of 23mpg on the highway and 18mpg in the city, my lly is less by about 1.5mpg. however with the dpf and other emissions crap, dads lmm is getting 5-7mpg less..... so you burn more fuel, have a more complicated vehicle that doesnt last as long due to the emission crap(blown turbos, clogged egr etc) and the epz thinks this is good???

Wow so is that the 6.7 rods gonna be tough to break those lol:cheers:

Yeah, I wonder which are stronger, 6 of the Cummins rods or 8 of the other two? As near as I can figure, they NEED to be 33% larger/stronger to even equal 8 v-8 rods.:biggrinbounce2:

Yeah, I wonder which are stronger, 6 of the Cummins rods or 8 of the other two? As near as I can figure, they NEED to be 33% larger/stronger to even equal 8 v-8 rods.:biggrinbounce2:

You don't really get an appreciation for how heavy duty, and overbuilt, the cummins is until you see one apart, the crankshaft and rods are massive compared to the Ford, (don't know about the chevy, as I work at a Ford/Dodge dealer) But actually the Fords haven't had allot of bottom end problems either.

When I first went to school on the cummins, back in the early nineties, we were all standing around looking at a 5.9 cummins torn apart, trying to figure out why the rod caps were cut at an angle and not just straight across like a normal engine, guys were theorizing which side of a rod cap had more load on it etc. The instructor came over and simply explained and demonstrated how the large end of the rod would not fit down the bore of the engine, if it were machined straight across. The 5.9 had a 4" bore, so that tells you how big the crank journals are

If you're going to look at it that way, the how much bigger do the 5 MAIN BEARINGS need to be on the Chevy/Ford, compared to the 7 on the Cummins?

Its a null point, the Cummins Mains are about 30% bigger than either of the other two anyways... And they still have more of them.

I've had 4 Fords with the 7.3, and have been extremely happy with all of them. Three of them have been as company trucks, and have taken huge amounts of abuse. I reckon my only complaint is that it doesn't have the pep that the newer engines have.

I've had 4 Fords with the 7.3, and have been extremely happy with all of them. Three of them have been as company trucks, and have taken huge amounts of abuse. I reckon my only complaint is that it doesn't have the pep that the newer engines have.

I think the 7.3L 97-03 Fords were some of the best diesel trucks ever. But, you can't beat the power and reliability of that old 12V P-Pumped Cummins in the 94-98 Dodges.

I think the 7.3L 97-03 Fords were some of the best diesel trucks ever. But, you can't beat the power and reliability of that old 12V P-Pumped Cummins in the 94-98 Dodges.

I agree, I have a cutomer with a 98 12 valve, the last time he was in he had over 370k miles on it.He bought it new and I do all his maint work, haven't touched the motor, injectors, injection pump, lift pump nothing.

I had one of the first Powerstrokes(95 model), and my Dad had a 96 model Cummins, to make a long story short, we rebuilt the two of them, (threw the fuel plate away from the Cummins during the rebuild), I did every trick I could learn at the the time to the powerstroke, and that damm dodge kicked my ass when we were done, but, with the two engines tore down, side by side, the Cummins makes the powerstroke look sick, might as well compare apples to oranges, I personally beleive there is no way to possibly make one of the International engines make the HP of the Cummins.

The IH engines that came in school buses and other equipment can make plenty of power. The 360 Ih is an I-6 just like Cummins. They actually cast some blocks and heads for Cummins in the 90s. A Dt466 Ih will fit where a Powerstroke sit. Tractor pullers have made 2000 hp plus on those engines. If Ford had used those instead of the V-8s it would have been a lot closer in the power department.

The IH engines that came in school buses and other equipment can make plenty of power. The 360 Ih is an I-6 just like Cummins. They actually cast some blocks and heads for Cummins in the 90s. A Dt466 Ih will fit where a Powerstroke sit. Tractor pullers have made 2000 hp plus on those engines. If Ford had used those instead of the V-8s it would have been a lot closer in the power department.
Good post, brings up another question, why did Ford opt for the v8?

Last edited:
Good post, brings up another question, why did Ford opt for the v8?

One reason... Marketing. International wanted to make the 6.4L and the 6.0L a V-6. Both times Ford said they'd need a V-8 for Marketing.

If Ford had put the DT466 in their F-250/350, I probably wouldn't be driving a Dodge. Of course, they'd have to have used the P-Pump to really get my attention.

Yeah I would like a p-pumped dt466 in a super duty truck. I guess Ford thought the I-6 wouldn't sell.:bang:

Back