Who needs saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
It's been close to two full seasons since I've had to run any of my saws more than busting a long log into firewood length, maybe a tank full through the 440. The EAB has every tree service in the county working double time , there's pile of wood laying everywhere.

This is how I've got the last 4 loads of wood..my scrounge tools now consist of craigslist and my FEL tractor for saving my back...best I can tell it's around 5 cord.

image.jpg

Burning has never been easier.

smokkkkkeeeeeessssss!!!! good haul!! and easy access......
The last haul was the best..I never got off the tractor. The property owner was so eager to get the rounds out of his garden he worked his tail off loading the bucket ..I bet he'd a split it too!

Wowza. You make me eager to get the EAB out here. The map says they're here, but the damage isn't noticeable yet.
For firewooders EAB has to be heaven or maybe even too much of a good thing. I see some neighborhoods in Des Moines that street after street was planted with all ash. It will be a barren landscape when that bug is done

Too much wood too fast. How much will rot before it can be burned? What a shame.

I'm fighting that now. I stumbled upon a huge amount of firewood last year at the end of my gathering season. I had no room left in the shed so I stacked it all outside. Then last year was soooo warm I only burned about 1/3rd of what I would normally burn. I was able to get about 1/2 of last years stockpile in the shed this year but the rest will have to sit outside for a second year.

I only started the saw once this year and that was because I was camped somewhere with abundant firewood! I would have brought some from home but it was easier to cut it there than to pack it. :cry:

Too much wood too fast. How much will rot before it can be burned? What a shame.
Yep...I've got no less than a dozen standing dead Ash on my property that I'm counting on staying standing till next year because I'd have to sell it or find some where to pile It hoping it doesn't get punky.

In Harrison, 20 minutes west of Cincinnati, and that's the fact jack!!!! Standing dead ash ALL over, been cutting it, getting it free from a tree service, getting it for family and friends, won't rot if you keep it dry

In Harrison, 20 minutes west of Cincinnati, and that's the fact jack!!!! Standing dead ash ALL over, been cutting it, getting it free from a tree service, getting it for family and friends, won't rot if you keep it dry

I'm on the west side of Colerain..if I stand on my roof I can see Harrison! I live on three acres but good sunlight and airflow are at a premium...rots definitely a problem .

I am 3 hours west of Cincinnati. My wood shed is 480 square feet, not big enough for what is coming. I can stack much higher but I hate a rickety stack and constantly being on a ladder, recalculating. Firewood is cheap here now, no money in it. I feel for the folks who depend on income from selling it.

Back