Who the Heck Steals Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, it's mine. The land is on a farm so my buddy and his father drive it nonstop. They said they seen him going down to the back field more than once lately in his pickup, they even saw firewood in the back according to the farm owner. I can tell because I'm the only person I know that marks with blue and I remember that exact stack because of some of the events that happened that day. Let's just say it was a learning day for a friend I've been teaching how to cut.

My buddy is pretty pissed about it, he plans on bringing it up to this gentleman. I guess he's worked on, and "borrowed" things from the farm before.

Well, someone has to say something if for no other reason than this guy is gonna keep on being a jack wad until he is confronted and put on notice. I mean you at the very least have to "borrow" it back...

Bide your time, the opportunity to Even things out will come. When it does, hit hard, real hard.
People like that only understand one thing and it involves pain.

Bide your time, the opportunity to Even things out will come. When it does, hit hard, real hard.
People like that only understand one thing and it involves pain.

As much as this appeals to me, I just can't. I've got kids, wife, house, etc to worry about now. It's not like it was when I was young and full of fire and could solve everything myself. There is a field behind his house that belongs to the farm. I was thinking that maybe this year we'd set up there for night hunting coyotes! Getting woke up every night and early morning with rifle shots should have him thinking about karma! :msp_thumbsup:

As much as this appeals to me, I just can't. I've got kids, wife, house, etc to worry about now. It's not like it was when I was young and full of fire and could solve everything myself. There is a field behind his house that belongs to the farm. I was thinking that maybe this year we'd set up there for night hunting coyotes! Getting woke up every night and early morning with rifle shots should have him thinking about karma! :msp_thumbsup:

trouble is those kind of people are the ones that would end up calling the damn cops on you and youd end up getting a disturbing the peace ticket

trouble is those kind of people are the ones that would end up calling the damn cops on you and youd end up getting a disturbing the peace ticket

Actually, this is one of those times that the law works for you. We are both licensed hunters with night hunting coyote stamps, on privately owned farm land, hunting within the hours of legal hunting, and far enough away from all residences that it would be legal. Could be wrong, but luckily I'm on good terms with the law and forestry around here.

Put in hogs.

Actually, this is one of those times that the law works for you. We are both licensed hunters with night hunting coyote stamps, on privately owned farm land, hunting within the hours of legal hunting, and far enough away from all residences that it would be legal. Could be wrong, but luckily I'm on good terms with the law and forestry around here.

kinda sounds like you got it made then. id grab a local LEO and knock on the guys door...

Oh, it's mine. The land is on a farm so my buddy and his father drive it nonstop. They said they seen him going down to the back field more than once lately in his pickup, they even saw firewood in the back according to the farm owner. I can tell because I'm the only person I know that marks with blue and I remember that exact stack because of some of the events that happened that day. Let's just say it was a learning day for a friend I've been teaching how to cut.

My buddy is pretty pissed about it, he plans on bringing it up to this gentleman. I guess he's worked on, and "borrowed" things from the farm before.

Did the friend you were teaching how to cut remember to take the M80 and Bottle Rocket out of that one split you rigged up for that 4TH of July outdoor bonfire we talked about??? Be a shame if that ended up back on that pile of splits somehow. Boy I hope he remembered to pull that off to the side... :msp_sneaky:

Did the friend you were teaching how to cut remember to take the M80 and Bottle Rocket out of that one split you rigged up for that 4TH of July outdoor bonfire we talked about??? Be a shame if that ended up back on that pile of splits somehow. Boy I hope he remembered to pull that off to the side... :msp_sneaky:

Hahahaha, jeez seems like I forgot all about that.

kinda sounds like you got it made then. id grab a local LEO and knock on the guys door...

Well this is actually easier said then done. This township that it would fall under has no local law enforcement. The state police have jurisdiction over this area and they honestly have a lot of more important things to do. I do plan on asking a game warden who covers the area that I know pretty well, but when it honestly comes down to it I did everything wrong.

- I'm cutting on land not owned by myself in this instance.
- I'm storing wood unsecured on land not owned by myself.
- I hadn't been to this "landing" for almost a month now.
- There are no posted or no trespassing signs because we like to hunt it and they dont mind if others do too.

It just seems that in the eyes of the law, I really wouldn't have a leg to stand on. As for hiring a lawyer, forget it. That would cost more than it would to buy several cords of wood at least! Besides, I prefer to stay out of the laws radar for silly stuff. One of those out of sight out of mind things.

Thieves suck. On the other hand, you should have had this years wood stacked and stored ready to burn. Not randomly piled in the field. Just sayin.

If the wood has your marks, and he was seen taking wood? I say ask where he got it from. He may not see any harm.

TreeTangler, maybe you need to get yourself a branding iron, for the wood, of course.

M80 idea a good one. Take about 10 splits and bandsaw them in half, hollow out an M80 pocket and then glue them back together. Toss them randomly in his pile and watch the whole pile rot, when he decides not to burn any more.

Right behind you, or in front, however it works out. I think, overall, it's still a better bet than where I am.

When I was in college, I spent a summer working on Microwave towers along the coast of Maine. I'm pretty sure after God created the world, on the seventh day, that's where he rested.

Why all my logs and firewood is in my back yard; hell, i even had some idiot back right up to my trailer I chain to my fence on the side of my house. He was saying to me "i saw a post for a free trailer on craigslist - just take it" .. i told him "i got some free buckshot too if you want that as well".
sometimes it is nice to be the resident psycho on the block :laugh:

I've had wood stolen from the golf course I worked at. Course closed and rounds were stacked neatly between standing trees. Had to be a local thief because the wood wasn't visible from the road.

Lesson learned? If you leave wood unattended don't stack it neat and tidy for easy thievery, rather leave it all scattered around the place so hopefully the thief will be too lazy to gather it!

I had a guy cutting rounds off of my log pile that i had stacked up the road the other year. He said he thought asplaud stacked all the wood there. The pile was 30' long and 10-12" high, and you could see it came out of and was stacked on private property. Luckly I was home and heard a saw running, I jumped in the truck and drove up there. His wife sure had big eyes when i jumped out of the truck and asked WTF are you doing? My pile got move to my house over the next couple days. I have now started to spray paint the crap outta logs, and right " My wood, and this means you" on them.

I would either have to confront this douch bag or just wait till hes not home and take it back and maybe some extra for you effort.

Back