Who used a chainsaw harder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt mean which person per say is rougher on the saw... I meant which operation is harder on the saw in one day of use... a day of felling... and day of firewood or a day of milling. Imagine it is the same person using the saws for all three operations

In one day?...id say milling, timber cutter, firewood cutter. Assuming the firewood guy has to stop to move firewood or load firewood out that day too, also assuming the timber cutter is working 10hrs, and the milling guy the same. Different varances for all of them too though.

First off, the correct term is Faller.

Is not about how many cuts in an hour, it is hours of sawing in a day, if a Faller isn't sawing, he isn't getting paid. Typically a Faller will wear out a chainsaw every year or two, a firewood saw can live for many years. Firewood involves handling the wood, probably more than half the time consumed in a day.
Milling is tough, lots of hours, lots of wear.

I must have missed this post randy...i read it AFTER i posted mine...i guess we think alike...lol

I don't think the profession means as much as the guy working. You are either a hard worker or you're not.

A hard working firewood cutter working his tail off is going to outwork a lazy azz logger anyday. :hmm3grin2orange:

BTW: OP, quit ####in with RandyMac. He's forgotten more than most of us will know about all things logging.

Last edited:
Your statement is proof you are an idiot.

Just admit it... you're old and assumed feller wasn't a proper way to describe someone who cuts down trees.... Hey you know those machines that are called feller bunchers??? wonder why they dont call them faller bunchers?

Just admit it... you're old and assumed feller wasn't a proper way to describe someone who cuts down trees.... Hey you know those machines that are called feller bunchers??? wonder why they dont call them faller bunchers?

Go back to tappin' toes in the stall and exchanging secret handshakes.

HAHA oh gee good one! my knee sure took a slappin from that one!

you still havent explained why faller is proper in comparison to feller...

The guy cutting cookies in the back yard....with the dull chisel chain....who works in a cubicle....but is a chainsaw expert- workin the poor bastard of a pro saw to death- Sam

I would have to say we work chainsaws hard here at my Firewood business.
We are not hard on them, we just work them hard. 6 days a week year round.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

how about the homeowner i ran into last week, that i told him that his chain was too tight and on backwards and him replying "that's the way there spore to be and it's bi-directional chain"

i'd wanted to say to him well when you fry your saw i'll take it...

speaking of that contraption on a chainsaw forum is blastfeemers. it's is especaly ofending to a true timberFALLER.. just sayin.;)

please explain... because I tend to side with multiple dictionary references over a old lumberjack when it comes to things that have to do with the English language.

You "tend to side with multiple dictonary references" typed by some pale skinned office pinky who's probably never even HELD a real chainsaw, rather than believing "an old lumberjack" who actually worked in the trade and spoke the trade language and terms FOR DECADES????

You sir aren't an idiot. You're a MORON...

how about the homeowner i ran into last week, that i told him that his chain was too tight and on backwards and him replying "that's the way there spore to be and it's bi-directional chain"

i'd wanted to say to him well when you fry your saw i'll take it...

I doubt you'd really want what's left after he's done with it Dave. I've worked on hundreds of pieces of OPE ran by idiots like that. Not much worth keeping....

Commercial firewood outfits would be the saw killers around here. They buy tiny POS saws and beat the piss out of them while squeezing every last nickel possible. Lot saws maybe go 6 months before a major repair or get dumpstered.
After those folks, the utility subcontractors, 6-12 months before a major repair.

I'd buy a mill bound timber cutter's saw long before I would get excited about the other two.

please explain... because I tend to side with multiple dictionary references over a old lumberjack when it comes to things that have to do with the English language.

Great. You'd rather believe something in a book than listen to somebody with experience? You've just insulted one of our more knowledgeable members. In your part of the country you can call them anything you want but if you're talking to people west of the Rockies the term faller is correct.

And don't ever, ever, call a Left Coast logger a lumberjack...it just underlines your ignorance. Learn the language, son, before you try to speak it.

In answer to your question...if the same person was doing the jobs I think milling would be hardest on a saw, especially if the miller just read books and ignored the advice of people who knew what they were doing. Timber falling would be a close second.

Latest posts

Back