who uses a car trailer for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he said it has brakes on all the wheels and the tires are good. im positive it dosent have stake pockets. i would have to make them myself.

what pissed me off is he origionally wanted 1200 obo. but he said he got a huge response and now he wants 1600. i may call him tomorrow and say best i can do is 1300 delivered.

i definatly want a trailer sometime this spring or summer at the latest as the tree work seems to be adding up and it would definatly prove useful. i just dont wanna totally screw myself.

If you are planning on using it for firewood only, you might want to consider one that does not have a beaver tail. IMO they are harder to stack and haul wood on.
Otherwise it looks like a very nice trailer. Just remember that it will probably have two 3500 lb axles at most. Something to think about when you heap it 3' tall with green wood.
Happy shopping...........

well i know nothing about trailers but i assume the beaver tail is the angled floor in the rear? he stated in the ad that its has a 4 ft beavertail. again i dont know what that is im just taking a guess.

i do have a69 charger and a 76 camaro that will definatly spend some time on the trailer but im buying one for firewood. me gettin a car trailer just makes the purchase make more sense for me.

well i know nothing about trailers but i assume the beaver tail is the angled floor in the rear? he stated in the ad that its has a 4 ft beavertail. again i dont know what that is im just taking a guess.

i do have a69 charger and a 76 camaro that will definatly spend some time on the trailer but im buying one for firewood. me gettin a car trailer just makes the purchase make more sense for me.

At a stated 18' that looks like a 14-4 (14' of flat deck and 4' of beaver tail). Yes, the beaver tail is the angled rear portion.

As was stated above, stay away from mobile home axles as they are meant for limited service. You want to see regular rims on those tires! Yes, many use them as regular axles, but if they ever let go .....

If you could get a look at the trailer, first thing to do is go over it and ensure the wheel bearings are good, springs are not sprung, metal is not rusted to the point of requiring replacement, etc. I'm not doubting the seller's honesty here, but keep in mind that it is in his best interest to present the trailer as positively as possible.

I paid just under $1500 for mine after taxes. It is a 16' (all flat deck) with 2 sets of 6000# braked axles. The deals are out there, you just have to find them and act quickly.

Good luck!

:cheers:

Save up and get a dump trailer. You won't regret it. Like someone else said check the tires. I just spent $500 on 15" tires for my trailer. Your looking at another $200 plus for stack pockets and wood for sides. The metal floor can get slick in he rain also. I have hauled a lot of wood on car haulers and they do work good.

Scott

i didnt even think to ask if it has regular car rims on it or if their those trailer rims. i didnt know there was a difference in axls. i assumed a 7k lbs rating was a 7k lbs rating. whats teh difference in the axls then?

the stake poscets arent a big deal i can make them up for free its just gonna be my time. the wood will definatly cost some money though.

i keep looking around online to see what i can find. wheres a good place to look? everything i find is either waay too expensive or a total pos.

thanks for all the info guys i really appreciate it. feel free to point out the obvious im totally green to the trailer world.

i didnt even think to ask if it has regular car rims on it or if their those trailer rims. i didnt know there was a difference in axls. i assumed a 7k lbs rating was a 7k lbs rating. whats teh difference in the axls then?

the stake poscets arent a big deal i can make them up for free its just gonna be my time. the wood will definatly cost some money though.

i keep looking around online to see what i can find. wheres a good place to look? everything i find is either waay too expensive or a total pos.

thanks for all the info guys i really appreciate it. feel free to point out the obvious im totally green to the trailer world.

Regular trailer rims are of the shape that you normally see (think nice white trailer rims). They have the 5, 6, or 8 bolt holes for the wheel studs. Those 3500# probably have 5 bolt holes.

Mobile home axle rims have 4 or 5 nuts that sit right up on the outside of the rim, near the rubber. If you ever take one off, you end up with just the rubber and the rim is basically a band of metal up against the rubber. Also, they usually come in off-sizes (e.g. 14.5"). Their intended purpose was to haul mobile homes to a lot, then the axles were supposed to be abandoned. Many people have scooped these up and made trailers with them.

I don't have a pic, but here is a link to some pics that show mobile home axles.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Trailer/Trailer.htm

HTH

not having stake pockets is not a deal breaker... but no brakes would be.

really don't like dealing with folks that their word is no good.
if I give out a price on an item... then I'll hold to it.

good car trailers go for $1200 range all the time on craigslist.
$1600 is on the high side... getting close to new price.

I'd pay $1800 for a brand new trailer... before paying $1600 for a used one.
if you can hold out a few months... I'd be keeping a keen eye on craigslist.

-------------

2004 18' car trailer metal deck elec brakes - $1200 (Granby )
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-03-04, 8:51PM EST

2004 premier car trailer diamond plate deck 14' Long with 4' beavertail with Ramps that slide underneath 7000lbs tandem axle with electric brakes new led lights, no longer use need money and it takes up a large spot in my drive way 1200 obo

he said it has brakes on all the wheels and the tires are good. im positive it dosent have stake pockets. i would have to make them myself.

what pissed me off is he origionally wanted 1200 obo. but he said he got a huge response and now he wants 1600. i may call him tomorrow and say best i can do is 1300 delivered.

i definatly want a trailer sometime this spring or summer at the latest as the tree work seems to be adding up and it would definatly prove useful. i just dont wanna totally screw myself.

Last edited:
Not for nothing,but a 7K GVWR trailer isnt going to hold much more than a small/medium car anway.A full cord of anything wet will be the max before your overweight.Maybe you have a light tow vehicle and it wont matter much.
I'm not sure what your looking for,but I was considering selling my 9900GVWR 18ft utility trailer,its a Starlight I bought it brand new locally,its got slide in ramps,and it will carry almost 8000 legally.Important part is the trailers under 10000GVWR,so you dont need a class A CDL to tow it. The 12-14K trailers you do.Mine is a 1999.Oh yeah its got stake pockets already,3" C channel all the way around,and I built 1 ft high sides in front of the wheel wells they would go with it.Its got working brakes on all 4,6 lug 5200lb dexter axles,new breakaway,LED tailight,and I just dont use it much anymore,since i got a dump trailer,and my SS came with a trailer that I have been using with it. PM me if your interested at all.I havent put it on craigslist yet,but will once the weather warms up and ppl are out looking for them.

here's a deal.. if it's still there.. if pintle hitch can be converted to 2 5/16 ball
this is twice the trailer you started out looking at!!!

Heavy Duty Car or Equipment Trailer - $1300 (Franklin)
Date: 2009-02-23, 12:25PM EST

Heavy Duty Car or equipment trailer, 14' long by 8' wide, 2) 8 lug axels, new tires, newer planks, pintle style hitch, pulls nice over all good cond, was used to haul cars and a bob cat $1300 or best offer CASH!! No SHIPPING!! [email protected]

3m73p83l5ZZZZZZZZZ92n45d3351873fc1a65.jpg

3n63o83pbZZZZZZZZZ92n98a274ba10161721.jpg

Last edited:

Something to think about since you say your cars will see time on the trailer:

While the beavertail does you no specific favors for wood hauling, and makes the trailer more prone to hanging up or scraping coming out of parking lots, driveways, etc, it can be crucial in loading if your cars sit low.

I specifically stayed away from a beavertail on mine because I tow my jeep into some interesting staging grounds, but the times I've hauled cars I've had to do some tricky business with my 5 foot ramps and 2X6s to avoid scraping or high centering the cars when loading.

here's a deal.. if it's still there.. if pintle hitch can be converted to 2 5/16 ball

Screw the ball. Keep the pintle!!

I cant wait to ditch my ball and convert to pintle :rock:

BTW, that's a damn fine trailer for sale for the price :jawdrop:

whats the benifits of a pintle hitch over a ball? sorry for my noobness but i gotta learn sometime.

Security. Once that pintle hitch is on .... it's on! It is certainly more secure than a ball hitch when hauling heavy loads.

Flexibility. The trailer can move more independently of the truck without binding (when going over rough terrain).

whats the benifits of a pintle hitch over a ball? sorry for my noobness but i gotta learn sometime.

Security. Once that pintle hitch is on .... it's on! It is certainly more secure than a ball hitch when hauling heavy loads.

Flexibility. The trailer can move more independently of the truck without binding (when going over rough terrain).

:agree2::agree2:

It may also make the trailer harder to steal since fewer people have the means to hook up to a pintle...

The downside though is that pintles may feel a bit rougher when towing since there is more play forward and back than a ball. You can feel the trailer come forward in the hitch a bit when hitting brakes and then feel the slack picked back up when accelerating.

Should be fine, just make sure you watch how high you pile the trailer, It can be tempting to throw a few more logs on and get pretty good loads on them. Check the tires. Many people put car tires on trailers when they replace the tires cause they are cheaper, but they dont handle the weight.

Heavy Duty Car or Equipment Trailer - $1300 (Franklin)
Date: 2009-02-23, 12:25PM EST

Heavy Duty Car or equipment trailer, 14' long by 8' wide, 2) 8 lug axels, new tires, newer planks, pintle style hitch, pulls nice over all good cond, was used to haul cars and a bob cat $1300 or best offer CASH!! No SHIPPING!! [email protected]

3m73p83l5ZZZZZZZZZ92n45d3351873fc1a65.jpg

3n63o83pbZZZZZZZZZ92n98a274ba10161721.jpg

Is this one in OK?

many times, tires are the limiting factor in how much your trailer can handle.

the best tires for 8 lug, 16 in rims that comes on 7k lb axles are E rated truck tires. not trailer specific tires. Ask any trailer service tech and they will tell you the same.

no clue about trailers with light duty 3,500 lb axles that take 5 lug 15in rims.

the HD trailer listed above is in Connecticut... sure hope it's still there for the OP. it's a heck of a deal for $$$$!

Should be fine, just make sure you watch how high you pile the trailer, It can be tempting to throw a few more logs on and get pretty good loads on them. Check the tires. Many people put car tires on trailers when they replace the tires cause they are cheaper, but they dont handle the weight.

That's what I use, I made side boards, works well, I don't have any pics right now

Latest posts

Back