who uses a car trailer for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the best tires for 8 lug, 16 in rims that comes on 7k lb axles are E rated truck tires. not trailer specific tires. Ask any trailer service tech and they will tell you the same.

!

I have a set of 14 ply trailer tires on my dump trailer. I think they are g-rated. Much better then the trck tires on my other dump trailer. They need 100or 110psi. They hold one hell of a load and don't flex much at all.

Scott

well i checked out that car trailer today. it seemed pretty good till i noticed the axle were bent up pretty bad. so i went and called my uncle who know a bit about that stuff and told him. he says if he bent the axls he prolly bent the frame and if he did that the tires wont wear right. i also noticed before i called my uncle that a couple of the tires were worn oj ojne side really bad. so i guess it got way overweight at somepoint. so i passed on the trailer.

well i checked out that car trailer today. it seemed pretty good till i noticed the axle were bent up pretty bad. so i went and called my uncle who know a bit about that stuff and told him. he says if he bent the axls he prolly bent the frame and if he did that the tires wont wear right. i also noticed before i called my uncle that a couple of the tires were worn oj ojne side really bad. so i guess it got way overweight at somepoint. so i passed on the trailer.

Good call. The last thing you want to do is buy a headache.

Keep your eyes open - those deals are out there. The day after I missed out on a 18' with a 10,000# rating for $2500 I found a 16' with a 12,000# rating for $1300.

:cheers:

a trailer with tandem 7klb axles is more like a heavy equipment trailer. sure you can haul cars, but it can easily haul tractors.

it's ideal for hauling wood! just make sure you've got a heavy duty truck like Cummins.

here's mine loaded with $15k+ lbs. pulling rig is a 97 cummins 12v.

loaded trailer.JPG

What is that crane rated for capacity wise?

of course a G-rated tire will hold more than an E rated one. you must have 19.5 in rims... have never heard of a true G-rated tire to fit 16in rims

I have a set of 14 ply trailer tires on my dump trailer. I think they are g-rated. Much better then the trck tires on my other dump trailer. They need 100or 110psi. They hold one hell of a load and don't flex much at all.

Scott

I load up my 18' 10,400# rated trailer with wood in a strange way. Vertical. I take it home to process and find that the longer 36" rounds travel better on end.

Note that this trailer weighs 2500# empty so with the pictured 2 cords of green red alder it is right near the GVWR. The truck had another 0.5 cords in it making this a maxed out F350. I am only allowed a 20k# GCWR

a trailer with tandem 7klb axles is more like a heavy equipment trailer. sure you can haul cars, but it can easily haul tractors.

it's ideal for hauling wood! just make sure you've got a heavy duty truck like Cummins.

here's mine loaded with $15k+ lbs. pulling rig is a 97 cummins 12v.

loaded trailer.JPG

=====

Gotta throw the BS flag on this...

i use my triple axle flatbed...

with some bolt on bunks i made, i've moved 1200+ board foot for lumberyards as well...

That is the newer version of what I have. They are great tires. There wear really good. I bet mine have over 40k on them. They are getting thin 'm not looking forward to replacing them.

Scott

somewhere i ran across a steal on some 14.5 lowboys... 18ply... $138 each, carry out..

Here are a couple logs that are going to the mill tomorrow on my car trailer. They are to long for my dump trailer.

Scott

This is a cool thread...!

And some really nice pics too! You guys have got some really nice wood haulers...plus I'm learning some great trailer tips!!:cheers:

Back