who warms up their saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Welcome to Norway, blis.......
Unless you live on the coast.
My girl friend works in the petroleum industry and gets all these sea ice condition reports and temperatures from all around the world.
The crazy weather is were I live and places in Germany/Austria and Russia that I have seen weather reports from there go from -25/-30 to 0 in less than a day!The ones in Austria are coming from the mountains.

here we go with the dumb people calling the smart ones dumb

Ok, understand this. When you start a 2stroke motor, there is more play between the piston and cylinder because metal (which your saw engine is made of) expands as it heats up. If you rap the piss out of your saw when its cold, it slaps the piston against the cylinder, resulting in advanced wear. Does this concept make sense? Because it is a fact. the only argument is the acceptable temp to go crazy with the saw.

Uhhhhhhh I would warm them but like they never cool!
Seriously,I do when it is cold and start it up before I
climb but usually just fire it up blip and run but hey going
on five years on a saw that has made a lot of cuts still
runs strong.

unhook the fast idle off my saw . man I go through a lot saws .glad you told me want saws are made of metal . never thought it. studying for my buy a chainsaw license

I'm under the impression that a lot goes into designing the cylinder and piston so that they are matched in expansion regardless of temperature. While the piston may expand with heat, so will the cylinder. Excessive warming is just a waste of fuel.

well... the piston initially expands faster than the cylinder... smaller mass. But they catch up with each other. I don't hear cold pistons slapping any worse than hot pistons.

but...

IMO... a few 10's of seconds and few blips is all it takes. and if it doesn't, I can't explain why my saws work so well. ;)

Last edited:
has any one watch the hot saws on the lumberjack shows ? they start um run'em till there done stumbling . then let it rip .they don,t let it sit there idiol an carbon up .one or two poster don,t need to think Iam moron for my opion . I shoudnt have said it was nonsense . maybe unnessary. for pro long warm up . goose um few times let um rip. haven.t blown one yet .

has any one watch the hot saws on the lumberjack shows ? they start um run'em till there done stumbling . then let it rip .they don,t let it sit there idiol an carbon up .one or two poster don,t need to think Iam moron for my opion . I shoudnt have said it was nonsense . maybe unnessary. for pro long warm up . goose um few times let um rip. haven.t blown one yet .

You know what... hotsaws are designed for one thing only... and its not longevity :clap:

this thread is like chevy vs ford if you say something. your wrong go ahead warm em up hours I don.t care your right I,am moron no experince. why even start the tread?if don,t want here the other side .

It's Holden vs Ford here (NZ) ...

this thread is like chevy vs ford if you say something. your wrong go ahead warm em up hours I don.t care your right I,am moron no experince. why even start the tread?if don,t want here the other side .

:popcorn:

Ill say it again LOLOL

You WARM UP FELLERS are the reason for GLOBAL WARMING :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy:

Scott

You got that right! :clap:

For some of you the best way to avoid undue wear on the P&C from starting, is not to start it. :buttkick:

I'll just keep starting and running mine the way I have been.

I will agree that it is not necessary to let the saw sit there for 10 minutes idling. But The first little bit of heat built into the engine is important in my opinion. Ok, Im done with this thread. :fart:

Back