Whoopsie.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it or not, I've never done it! BUT my wife has at least three of my back windows under her belt over the years! :laugh: I thought I solved the problem by buying a yard beater that don't have a back window, but now the wood ends up on the seat instead! :laugh:

Like someone said before, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

Do yourself a real favor if you are going to have someone local put your glass in, shop around.
I punched mine out last year for the first time.The first 3 places I called wanted over 500 bucks to install a new glass. I was real bummed out!
The fourth and final guy I called wanted only 175.I told him that I didnt want some cheap piece of glass, he told me that he only installed OEM quality glass.
When he showed up, I checked out the glass and then checked the name of the glass company online. Lots of good feedback so I told him to go ahead.
Four days after he installed it, it fell out while I was driving down the road.I called the guy, and he came right back out.Luckily the glass slid down between the cab and the bed and rested on the frame rails, so it was undamaged. He called the manufacturer, and they told him to use a different bonding agent which he did.Had no problems after that.
Why he was so much cheaper, I have no idea. Maybe he stole his glass at night?;)

That's an expensive load of firewood you've got there, Nuzzy.

There but for the grace of God go I. I've been mighty lucky. I've had a few bounce off the back windshield but never one that made like that old Doors song, Break on though.

Sorry about that man, but anybody who has cut any amount of wood has done that, plus taken out a few tail lights, and has dents all over the side of the truck. I started putting headache racks on all my trucks since '76. I have trailers to use, but the truck is still easier, especially getting back in the brush where I usually end up.

I got to thinking.

I'm curious about possibly doing an easily removable rack... I do a lot of towing and it sure is nice having an unrestricted view of what's going on behind me. I started thinking how it'd be pretty easy to bend up a hoop of cheap HREW to match the cab lines, weld in a spreader, weld in a few vertical spines, and then throw some expanded metal across. Maybe have some slugs bolted to the bed with holes for cotter pins to slip the assembly down over when in use. Pull two pins (or 4) and pop off when not needed... Hmm...

I got to thinking.

I'm curious about possibly doing an easily removable rack... I do a lot of towing and it sure is nice having an unrestricted view of what's going on behind me. I started thinking how it'd be pretty easy to bend up a hoop of cheap HREW to match the cab lines, weld in a spreader, weld in a few vertical spines, and then throw some expanded metal across. Maybe have some slugs bolted to the bed with holes for cotter pins to slip the assembly down over when in use. Pull two pins (or 4) and pop off when not needed... Hmm...

I keep telling myself I need to get busy any cut a piece of plywood to size so I can toss rounds into the bed with abandon. Not pretty, but sure is convenient.

I sold my truck this past spring and started using a trailer and that was the one thing I thought of was I do not have to worry about throwing stuff at a trailer.

That sucks about your glass! I use a trailer also but I had to keep my truck to pull it.
I couldnt find one that pulled itself:greenchainsaw: J/K

I have bounced more than one log off my back window, but haven't broken it yet. It is one piece with no slider. I think that gives the window more flexibility to bend before breaking. To prevent that from happening, I now keep a piece of plywood in the back and simply lay it across the bed rails and against the cab before I start throwing wood. Keeps the view unobstructed and saves the window.

I got to thinking.

I'm curious about possibly doing an easily removable rack...

Mine is currently held on with 2 clamps made for holding toppers on, loosen 1 3/8" bolt on each side and it comes right off. Once I get it painted, it will be bolted down for good, with 4 3/8" bolts and 2 3/8" eye bolts for strapping stuff down.

Visiblility out the back is fairly good, but a few years driving truck made me much more dependent on side mirrors than the rearview.

I keep telling myself I need to get busy any cut a piece of plywood to size so I can toss rounds into the bed with abandon. Not pretty, but sure is convenient.

Thats what I do, use a piece of plywood. I cut a sheet of 3/4 inch stuff I had out back and set it against the window. After unloading, I just drop it back into the bed of the truck,and the sideboards also just drop right in on top of it.Takes a second to pop the plywood and sideboards back out of the truck if I am going to use the truck for something else.
Cheap and easy is my motto.
Besides, my ole truck would look plum silly with a fancy headache rack!

That sucks. I finally know how it feels.

Hey Nuzz, believe it or not in 17 years of gathering wood I've never busted the back window...until the start of this season. I wasn't even throwing. I had a full row of rounds up to the window and was starting on my second row. Used a long stick to reach in and adjust a couple pieces and didn't realize that a piece in the first row had a long splinter sticking out. Pushed it right into the window at the point where the glass enters the body panel behind the rubber window gasket/trim. Did I mention it was bitter cold too?Anyway, I shoved with the stick and heard a noise. The whole back window was in a million pieces but didn't collapse. Wish I had a picture for ya.

Best Regards,
Flehmen

Last edited:
It brings back fond memories for me. My dad and I had scored a nice bit of free wood and had cut a load and he threw the "last" piece through the back windshield. That was a cold ride home and I don't think he got around to replacing it for awhile either. Money was tight.

You are not the first, won't be the last. That sucks, man.:bang:

Been there done that. :( When I got the used second glass from a guy I knew. He handed me a second one and told me if I keep cuttin wood I would need the second back glass.So far I still have the second glass. :jawdrop: : Time will tell.:dunno:

Been there done that with a piece of oak in the little old toyota 4wd. Pizzed me off two but got a replacement at a junk yard for about 30 bucks. Stack wood a little gentler in the back nowadays.

Mine too. Then I got married.

Coming soon to YouTube: footage of woodbooga getting chased around by angry female with rolling pin.

When I got married, I had to lean out on the "easy" setting, but I got even cheaper to make up for it!

When are we going to see that video?:popcorn:

Back