Who's cooked a clutch???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I hear a number of fellow members here always using the "heat" excuse to justify why they prefer outboard clutches over inboard. Personally I prefer inboards but own a couple of saws with outboard clutches. I'm actually quite curious :)
Now I live in what would be classed as a pretty harsh environment compared to many members with tough, dusty wood and hot conditions. I also have spoken to a lot of people over the years in regard to this inboard vs. outboard clutch debate both in industry and out and have NEVER heard of a smoked up clutch apart from when a saw is jammed or if there is a fault.
In fact the only clutch I've ever had really overheat and slip is on my outboard clutched Husky 3120 (too much torque when the chain gets jammed :D). I was warned by the dealer not to gas it too much with a stuck chain...

So OK guys, fess up. Who has smoked an inboard clutch and thinks it wouldn't have happened if they'd have been running an outboard setup?

Thanks for any replies but I'm gonna put it out there that I think the old heat argument doesn't stack up on anything but paper...

ive never done it but i just picked upa ms250 that had the whole side of the case melted out of it because of the previous owner running with the chain break on. dont think the damage would have been as bad on a outboard set-up but then i wouldnt have been able to pick it up so cheap!!

ive never done it but i just picked upa ms250 that had the whole side of the case melted out of it because of the previous owner running with the chain break on. dont think the damage would have been as bad on a outboard set-up but then i wouldnt have been able to pick it up so cheap!!

Hah hah. Yeah I probably should have mentioned that stupidity doesn't count :) I should clarify that I'm talking under normal use.

oh ok you didnt say it didnt count i always count stupidity as it usually gets me a cheap saw hahahahahaha:hmm3grin2orange:
for the record i prefer inboard my self but thats just me

Matt, I'm not sure they're concerned with the clutch as much as they are with the fact that the OB clutch will dissipate heat from the power head, not add to it... As far as cooking and smoking, I make a pretty mean pulled pork bbq.

Matt, I'm not sure they're concerned with the clutch as much as they are with the fact that the OB clutch will dissipate heat from the power head, not add to it... As far as cooking and smoking, I make a pretty mean pulled pork bbq.

Yeah I understand that Nik but I'm not convinced it's enough to cause a problem. A few too many professionally used inboard saws around for it to be an issue methinks. If heat was a really big issue I'd suspect that crank seals would be the first to show a problem.

By the way, I'm buying a plane ticket as we speak for some of that pork...

Yeah I understand that Nik but I'm not convinced it's enough to cause a problem. A few too many professionally used inboard saws around for it to be an issue methinks. If heat was a really big issue I'd suspect that crank seals would be the first to show a problem.

By the way, I'm buying a plane ticket as we speak for some of that pork...

I agree completely, I was just iterating what I thought their point was.

As far as cooking and smoking, I make a pretty mean pulled pork bbq.

Yes, yes you do!!!:bowdown:

Under normal use you should never cook a clutch on a saw or a vehicle.:msp_smile: I too have seen a plastic cased saw that was melted from the clutch getting far too hot, stupidity was the cause for sure.

Last edited:
beer?!?! Yuck!:laugh:

I'm going to have a few of these right now.:rock::rock:

attachment.php

I find them to be a little tough unless they're tenderized first! Marinate with a good winter bar oil over night! Then bake @ 300 until done!

IMO ....one has to be really clueless about the saw to burn it up!

I have always thought it was a weight or balance thing rather than heat. An outboard clutch wouldn't require a wider case or something like that. :dunno:

I have always thought it was a weight or balance thing rather than heat. An outboard clutch wouldn't require a wider case or something like that. :dunno:

On smaller saws I tend to agree. Although I've never noticed superior balance on my outboard clutched Husky 3120 over the inboard Stihl 880's I've used :)

Back