Who's in Maine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Define "half naked college girl!" and "the benefits of working in academia". :cheers:

half naked college girl: (from Lee's dictionary) a girl of college age (legal) that wears only 6 square inches of clothing on her entire body.

the benefits of working in academia (see definition for half naked college girl): work for very little pay and even less respect.

half naked college girl: (from Lee's dictionary) a girl of college age (legal) that wears only 6 square inches of clothing on her entire body.

the benefits of working in academia (see definition for half naked college girl): work for very little pay and even less respect.

But, will they respect me in the morning?

Probably the BEST story teller of all the greats. I think "Bourgeois Blues" is one of the top 5 blues songs, ever. And, "Please, Governor Neff, Be good 'n' kind" is without peer as to its story and the influence the song had on a life.

The Greats:

T-Bone Walker
Elmore James
John Lee Hooker
Albert King
Gary Davis
Lightnin' Hopkins
Furry Lewis
Otis Spann
Tampa Red
Fred McDowell
Bobby Bland
Howlin' Wolf
John Estes
Sonny Boy Williamson I
Rice Miller - Sonny Boy Williamson II
Pinetree Perkins
Robert Johnson
Gatemouth Brown
Muddy Waters
Robert Nighthawk
Son Thomas
Johnny Shines
RL Burnside
Jerry Ricks
Little Walter
Robert Lockwood
Blind Willie Johnson
Wynonna Carr
Memphis Slim
Buddy Guy
Albert Collins
Son House
Bukka White
Freddie King

And the newer Greats:

Alvin Youngblood Hart
Corey Harris
Eric Clapton - Derek and the Dominoes - Yardbirds - Cream
Stones
Rory Block
Charlie Musslwhite
Taj Mahal
Savoy Brown
Johnny Winter
Canned Heat
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Geroge Thorogood
Fabulous Thinderbirds
Robert Cray

I thought I'd just mention a few to see if we have any others in common.

Beefsteak when I'm hungry,
And whisky when I die,
Good lookin' women whilst I'm livin',
And heaven when I die,

Joat

Nice list, Doctor. "Whoa Black Betty, Bam a Lam!"

Where are Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry? Saw them play once. Wow.
I would place Lightnin' Hopkins at the head of the list (Check out Mel Blanc's "The Blues according to Lightnin' Hopkins" fer sum serious down home, Texas style), and add Otis Taylor to the newer list. John Hammond fits in there too

I got to interview Rory Block for the college radio station when she came to town a few years back. Amazing, beautiful woman, great musician.:clap:

Hmm. Sunday school teacher, Blues aficionado, maybe I do have a twin out there. Thought that was a buncha bunk.......

Ohh I guess I got off topic..... Is Maine like within uh, flying distance of Kansas?
Any tips on getting an 084 with a 41" bar into a carry-on bag????:)

Nice list, Doctor. "Whoa Black Betty, Bam a Lam!"

Where are Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry? Saw them play once. Wow.
I would place Lightnin' Hopkins at the head of the list (Check out Mel Blanc's "The Blues according to Lightnin' Hopkins" fer sum serious down home, Texas style), and add Otis Taylor to the newer list. John Hammond fits in there too

I got to interview Rory Block for the college radio station when she came to town a few years back. Amazing, beautiful woman, great musician.:clap:

Hmm. Sunday school teacher, Blues aficionado, maybe I do have a twin out there. Thought that was a buncha bunk.......

Ohh I guess I got off topic..... Is Maine like within uh, flying distance of Kansas?
Any tips on getting an 084 with a 41" bar into a carry-on bag????:)

Teach,

I stand corrected. I was running out of room. Great vetting job on the list. I was listening to Etta James this morning and realized I left her off the list. Not a comprehensive list, just off the top and what I often listen to.

And, Lead, you've reminded me of "Little Schoolgirl" by Son Thomas. I have a Son Thomas disc loaded as one of my six CDs currently loaded in my Runner, so I'll listen to "Little Schoolgirl" at lunch in your honor, or lack thereof, as the case may be.

Blues, BBQ, Bible and Big saws,

Joat

Teach,

I stand corrected. I was running out of room. Great vetting job on the list. I was listening to Etta James this morning and realized I left her off the list. Not a comprehensive list, just off the top and what I often listen to.

And, Lead, you've reminded me of "Little Schoolgirl" by Son Thomas. I have a Son Thomas disc loaded as one of my six CDs currently loaded in my Runner, so I'll listen to "Little Schoolgirl" at lunch in your honor, or lack thereof, as the case may be.

Joat

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vWUu7sUyMPE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vWUu7sUyMPE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Teach,

Joat

I wasn't trying to correct you, Dr. Joat. Just adding my two wooden nickels' worth. Your list got my mind thinking about folks I hadn't listened to in a while. I'm home sick today, which almost never happens, and so I am listening to Bessie Smith.....the CD case was seriously dusty......

John Cephas and Phil Wiggins' Hard Times describe our economy of late...
J. B. Lenoir
Janis Joplin.....Big Mama Thornton's "Ball and Chain" is a must hear
Hound Dog Taylor
Moses Rascoe
Jimi Hendrix
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Pink Anderson
Champion Jack DuPree....."Pig snoots and sauerkraut, make yo' belly stick right out!"

Wheeeeeee! Great thread! Cool how we manage to stay on topic!
chainsaw chainsaw chainsaw chainsaw chainsaw.... see, stihl on topic!:)

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to correct you, Dr. Joat. Just adding my two wooden nickels' worth. Your list got my mind thinking about folks I hadn't listened to in a while. I'm home sick today, which almost never happens, and so I am listening to Bessie Smith.....the CD case was seriously dusty......

J. B. Lenoir
Hound Dog Taylor
Moses Rascoe
Jimi Hendrix
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Pink Anderson
Champion Jack DuPree....."Pig snoots and sauerkraut, make yo' belly stick right out!"

:arg: But in the best way imaginable.

John Hammond and Blind Lemon! Awesome. I'll toss in Tom Waits (modern) along with Blind Blake (1920s) and the Rev. Gary Davis (ole timer rediscovered like Leadbelly during the folk revival of the late 50s/early 60s).

If I can make the GTG (baby on the way and time away might be a hard sell), I'll bring along my guitar. I think Zodiac plays an instrument, too. I can't do much with the single line lead stuff a la Hendrix/Clapton. More fingerstyle in the tradition of Blind Lemon, Missippi John Hurt, Rev. Davis, etc.

+100 to all the blues and country guys contributing. :cheers:

I have dabbled in blues guitar a bit for a while, wrote a song or two, but don't seem to make much time for it these days. I wish I could come to the Maine GTG, saw in one hand, guitar in the other. Maybe a bit too far to drive....:cry:

Check these out...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dUUEehVDMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFN9lebEvF0&feature=related

Second video has some amazing still pics, tell quite a story.

(Could someone PM me a good procedure/recipe for spare ribs? I am in charge of ribs fer our upcoming church BBQ, and well, I've never done slabs of ribs B4) There is a case of ribs in my freezer, waiting for culinary liberation!

Last edited:

J. B. Lenoir
Hound Dog Taylor
Moses Rascoe
Jimi Hendrix
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Pink Anderson

Teach,

Pink. From Spartanburg, SC. Pink Anderson and Floyd Council are the two Pink Floyd are name for.

Happy listenin' and get well soon,

Joat

\t

Good point PB.

My dad went to a small dairy farm shortly after morning milking and was offered a beer. When he asked, "Isn't it to early for beer Cliff?"

Cliff Said, "Beer don't know what time it is."

SL,

Oh my! You know Cliff Claven?

Joat

i guess all this GTG talk is a good excuse to acquire a few more "ridiculous for the region" type saws so i can show off a bit. geez we might even get a little network going here.

wondering if we can give Magnus a better tour if we can get him to come back over. he spent most of his time in NH and CT... but i got to meet him at Faulkner's.. however he was calling it a once in a lifetime trip.

maybe i'll have to track down some cousins from the county that have been racing saws at fairs. could be fun.

Thought I would bring this up again, but I no longer have access to the camp property. The lease ran out, and no one wanted to extend it (economy sucks and we didn't use it that much). So I wouldn't be able to host.

If it all works out, I should have more camp property by the end of summer that is a little closer to civilization. We could have it there unless someone else would like to host.

Latest posts

Back