Who's Making The Best Half Ton Truck???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope .....My problems with my truck were solved when I sold it ......Didn't know he had one......But I did see a 04 5.4 with a plug that blew out,And a bunch of the 6.0 PS that crapped out.....

What does this have to do with anything? We were talking about the need to rotate tires every 1500 miles on 80-96 ford trucks. I was never arguing that the 6.0 was a great motor and I haven't personally owned an 5.4, but know a lot of people that have had good luck with them. I even know people that like the 6.0 and have had great luck with them. Would I buy one probably not.

Oh...almost forgot...3,080 lb. payload capacity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tHs9aEVXoY

That's over 50% more than any 1/2 ton Chevy, and 900 lbs. more than any other 1/2 ton in the world.

Nobody does trucks like Ford Motor Company. And this fall...I pity the other 1/2 ton competitors...
Why do you want such high capacities in a half ton? Doesn't make sense to me. There are different size trucks for a reason. 1/2 tons are supposed to be smaller and more fuel efficient. If you need more capacity, there are 3/4, 1 , 1 1/2, 2 ton, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad truck, but I don't get building a 3/4 ton and marketing it as a half ton. What about the folks who want a half ton?

Here's some evidence that building a 3/4 ton as a half ton might not be the best marketing technique. That extra payload costs weight. That weight costs fuel. That fuel costs dollars, dollars that wouldn't have to be spent if a half ton truck is all that is needed.

There are two big reasons the F-150 is not the quickest half-ton pickup or fastest tow vehicle. First, it is usually heavier than similarly equipped models from the competition, and second, like GM's Silverado and Sierra, it has to make do with a four-speed automatic where Dodge, Nissan and Toyota offer a five- or six-speed automatic. (We are expecting to see six speeds in the 2009 F-150 because the Expedition's 5.4-liter already has it.)

http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-drive.cfm?Vehicle=2008_Ford_F-150&ReviewID=3581

Why do you want such high capacities in a half ton? Doesn't make sense to me. There are different size trucks for a reason. 1/2 tons are supposed to be smaller and more fuel efficient. If you need more capacity, there are 3/4, 1 , 1 1/2, 2 ton, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad truck, but I don't get building a 3/4 ton and marketing it as a half ton. What about the folks who want a half ton?

There are many different configurations available for the F-150, and only the heavy-duty configurations have that increased capability.

I posted that to counter the nonsense posted by others that modern 1/2-tons were girlytrucks and the like...I can't speak for the other mfgrs, but the F-150 is certainly still a truck. Yes, there are Urban Cowboy versions available for the posers of the world, but underneath those underpinnings is still a very, very capable F-150. It remains a truck designed and built to do what trucks have always been intended to do.

So I guess the bottom line is that, if you want a truck for lighter duty, with less capability than the F-150, I recommend you visit your local Chevy dealer. :D

Or if you don't want to put the lockwashers on yourself, GMC. (Hey Ultra!) :laugh:

There are many different configurations available for the F-150, and only the heavy-duty configurations have that increased capability.

I posted that to counter the nonsense posted by others that modern 1/2-tons were girlytrucks and the like...I can't speak for the other mfgrs, but the F-150 is certainly still a truck. Yes, there are Urban Cowboy versions available for the posers of the world, but underneath those underpinnings is still a very, very capable F-150. It remains a truck designed and built to do what trucks have always been intended to do.

So I guess the bottom line is that, if you want a truck for lighter duty, with less capability than the F-150, I recommend you visit your local Chevy dealer. :D

Or if you don't want to put the lockwashers on yourself, GMC. (Hey Ultra!) :laugh:

No doubt that Ford makes good trucks, or at least the older ones I had were good. I've found each brand to have their quirks and shortcomings though. Fords have always had really tough engines that are pretty much bullet proof--well, before the new diesels that is. ;-) The problems I always had were leaking and noisy steering pumps, electrical accessories not working, and smoke coming from the steering columns. My gm's have had vastly superior electrical systems.

It used to be Space, back in the day when trucks where trucks, the 1/2 ton was equivalent to today's 3/4 ton, and so on. You could load them down, and just get plain stupid without having to worry about the frame breaking (Mid 90's Dodge half ton's!!)!
Today, with all the urban cowboy crap and the EPA cracking down, they are using lighter materials and softening the ride etc. to make soccer moms happy!!!
IT'S A FRIGGING TRUCK!!!! IT'S SUPPOSED TO RIDE A LITTLE ROUGH!!! IT'S SUPPOSED TO GET CRAPPY GAS MILEAGE!!!! BUT IT BETTER HAUL WHATEVER I PUT IN THE BED!!!

Now, on a side note:
I have to say, I really never thought I would buy another Ford half ton! But the deal and options I got on mine, I just couldn't pass it up!!
I HATED the 5.4l, not big enough to do what I want/need, sucks gas, noisy, just all around, not what I wanted in a motor!!!
I was WRONG!!!! I average 17mpg (I changed over to synthetic oil), it hauls anything I have thought about, with power to spare, the thing will flat move if I stick my foot in it!!! But it is noisy!!!
I didn't like the interior, too much like a Mercedes or something, I am getting better with that, it's nice, Mama will gladly go out for a night on the town in it, and it's kinda nice/makes me feel nice, to drive something like that.
The ride is nice, it is a truck, mine has the towing package, and Mama doesn't even complain, but with the trailer loaded it sure doesn't squat much, and still has a decent ride.
I have to say, the more I drive and use it, the more I come to love it!!! And this was a hard sell for me!
I still don't like the wheel's, but I don't like any of the factory wheels on this body style.:)

IT'S A FRIGGING TRUCK!!!! IT'S SUPPOSED TO RIDE A LITTLE ROUGH!!! IT'S SUPPOSED TO GET CRAPPY GAS MILEAGE!!!! BUT IT BETTER HAUL WHATEVER I PUT IN THE BED!!!
I've heard that said a lot, but like anything else, demand mandates what the product will be. No one wants to bounce around in a rough truck that breaks down, is noisy and unrefined--especially those with bad backs.

By your logic, any pickup is wimpy because a it won't haul what an 18 wheeler will and rides smoother than the big rigs. That is nonsense. Trucks are tools available from 4 wheeler size to oversized load, permit required sized. Buying the correct sized truck for your needs is not wimpy, nor does it make you a soccer mom--it means you are smart.

Half tons are perfect sized tools for the vast majority of pickup owners--hence their high sales. There's no need to buy a Cat diesel powered semi truck to haul a living room set of furniture.

spacemule;900840Fords have always had really tough engines that are pretty much bullet proof--well said:
The 4.2, 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8L engines are also less than stellar. Always a bad coil, leaky headgasket or plug blown out.

I've heard that said a lot, but like anything else, demand mandates what the product will be. No one wants to bounce around in a rough truck that breaks down, is noisy and unrefined--especially those with bad backs.

By your logic, any pickup is wimpy because a it won't haul what an 18 wheeler will and rides smoother than the big rigs. That is nonsense. Trucks are tools available from 4 wheeler size to oversized load, permit required sized. Buying the correct sized truck for your needs is not wimpy, nor does it make you a soccer mom--it means you are smart.

Half tons are perfect sized tools for the vast majority of pickup owners--hence their high sales. There's no need to buy a Cat diesel powered semi truck to haul a living room set of furniture.

Too bad you didn't read the rest of my post.

The 4.2, 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8L engines are also less than stellar. Always a bad coil, leaky headgasket or plug blown out.

I've ran the 4.9 six cylinder, the 302, 351, and 460 extensively. I was very disappointed when they discontinued these engines--well, except for the I6. I also drove 352, 360 and 400 powered older Fords of my bosses for a few years.They were all good. The 360 was expensive to work on and was broke down a lot, but my coworkers really ragged on that truck. I've not run an overhead cam Ford engine.

We got an 02 f150 4x4 to replace my wifes 92 chevy 2wd truck. I didnt test drive any others because my brother worked for Ford. Expensive mistake.

The f150 was OK, until it started leaking oil on my new garage floor at 12k miles. Warranty or not it was getting traded off. I have had enough of this crap from the big 3. We went and test drove the Tacoma and Tundra and left with a new 03 Tundra wich was highly rated on Consumer Reports at the time. I couldnt be happier with it and figure anyone driving a Ford at the time had never tested the competion. I only have 20k on the truck so far, had the ball joint recall done and thats it. I have heard the new Tundras are not as good as older ones. Most new models have there problems, well see if they get better.

Ive had vehicles from almost all of them, with plenty of problems, and now we drive a Honda car and a Toyota truck. Both built in USA by the way.

I've ran the 4.9 six cylinder, the 302, 351, and 460 extensively. I was very disappointed when they discontinued these engines--well, except for the I6. I also drove 352, 360 and 400 powered older Fords of my bosses for a few years.They were all good. The 360 was expensive to work on and was broke down a lot, but my coworkers really ragged on that truck. I've not run an overhead cam Ford engine.
The 360 was less than stellar imo, but I dont' have any personal experience with the 352 either so I don't know much about them.

Back