Who's old enough to remeber what the spotted owl did?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookerdog

The New Champ
Reaction score
Was just wondering if any of you guys remembered what that owl did to logging towns. I remember 3 saw shops, 2 small theaters, and a couple of restaurant's close down during that period. Probably alot more things got hurt just don't remember. The bar's were plenty busy though.

Was just wondering if any of you guys remembered what that owl did to logging towns. I remember 3 saw shops, 2 small theaters, and a couple of restaurant's close down during that period. Probably alot more things got hurt just don't remember. The bar's were plenty busy though.

The bars were plenty busy alright. Also the U-Haul place from people moving out, the pawn shops, and the unemployment office.

Yeah I remember hearing about the major impact the Spotted Owl had on the logging industry. Man that was BIG news.

Not sure how it affected Whidbey here but I don't immediately recall any shops closing or anything. Then again Tourism and the Military are our bread and butter.

"Save a logger, eat an owl." There efforts aren't even helping. LINK

Isn't that interesting...

Lots of effort, studies, even shutting down an industry - and it's other factors that are doing as much or more damage.

Seems to be a trend these days - elaborate measures to help fix a problem, and the situation only gets worse.

Isn't that interesting...

Lots of effort, studies, even shutting down an industry - and it's other factors that are doing as much or more damage.

Seems to be a trend these days - elaborate measures to help fix a problem, and the situation only gets worse.

Don't forget that it's all paid for by you and me! Maybe the new Decider-In-Chief will get someone with a brain to head up EPA.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

If I remember correctly from my college biology class they weren't an actual species. They were a cross between two different subspieces of owls that just happened to meet on a cold night.

I would not recommend EATTING an owl,but when THEY become more important than a human something is really screwed up....But if you do, wash it down with a lot of beer:cheers:

I'm home hoarking up my lungs today. I am living in a community that was hit hard. There used to be a small saw shop and a gas station/logging supply place, 7 truck scale ramps, and a school full of kids. Now it has 2 mini-marts, the grocery store, we have to drive 60 miles to a saw shop, no truck scaling and the school has had to combine with two other communities because of all the families that moved away. Tourism was supposed to replace the logging/mill jobs lost but that hasn't happened. Lots of retirees and second home people moving here. I miss the signs on the bar doors that said
PLEASE!
No guns.
No knives.
No calks.
We still have a mill going. Used to be three here. I came back under the impression that things were going to pick up some, but that isn't happening.
Right now there isn't anything going on because of snow and the market. Well, time to grab more kleenex. We need to live for the future! And the way my nose goes when I have the crud, the kleenex industry will thrive.:)

I liked spotted owl better than checker spot butterfly, you can eat em, they just don't taste as good.

Apparently they nested and crapped in KMart signs, thinking they were trees. The story was up, but, the damage was done.

Mark

The spotted owl was just the horse the environmentalists rode in on. If it hadn't been the owl it would have been the murrelet or the elderberry beetle or who knows what. The owl is a cute cuddly little creature that tugged at the heart strings of people who should have known better.
The people whose true agenda is to keep anyone, anywhere, from ever cutting another tree are the ones to blame... along with a few grandstanding politicians who jumped on the band wagon figuring it would get them some votes.
It's all good and well to joke about the owl and what's happened...it shows that our sense of humor is still intact I guess. We need it, too.
But I've seen lives completely changed, and not for the better. I've seen little towns whose main source of income was logging and sawmilling just damn near dry up and blow away. Tourism never seems to reach these places to any degree. There's only so many service industry minimum wage jobs to go around.
I've seen third and fourth generation loggers and mill people whose whole life was blown apart by the things the owl brought with it. I know, personally, of two suicides brought on by the despair of a middle aged logger who has had the rug pulled out from under him and can't provide for his family any more. If you're a logger and that's all you know how to do and you're not allowed to do it anymore it can eat away at you 'til nothing's left.
I don't know of anything good that came from the spotted owl. I wish I did.
I guess this is kind of grim and depressing...but I submit it without apology.

seriously guys:
it wasn't the owl that shut down the logging.
it was some well intentioned people with uninformed opinions and misguided ways, that found lobyists willing to listen, that funded some politicians, that wanted to be elected...............
don't blame the owl. blame the idiots.

The spotted owl was just the horse the environmentalists rode in on. If it hadn't been the owl it would have been the murrelet or the elderberry beetle or who knows what. The owl is a cute cuddly little creature that tugged at the heart strings of people who should have known better.
The people whose true agenda is to keep anyone, anywhere, from ever cutting another tree are the ones to blame... along with a few grandstanding politicians who jumped on the band wagon figuring it would get them some votes.
It's all good and well to joke about the owl and what's happened...it shows that our sense of humor is still intact I guess. We need it, too.
But I've seen lives completely changed, and not for the better. I've seen little towns whose main source of income was logging and sawmilling just damn near dry up and blow away. Tourism never seems to reach these places to any degree. There's only so many service industry minimum wage jobs to go around.
I've seen third and fourth generation loggers and mill people whose whole life was blown apart by the things the owl brought with it. I know, personally, of two suicides brought on by the despair of a middle aged logger who has had the rug pulled out from under him and can't provide for his family any more. If you're a logger and that's all you know how to do and you're not allowed to do it anymore it can eat away at you 'til nothing's left.

In our area tourist really took over with the windsurfing. Our communinty got hit again in 1992 when the alar chemical scare on apple crops took the spot light. In one year apples went from $150 a bin to $10 a bin.

Grim and depressing, but also true and clear. Thank you for the post, I'd rep ya several times over if I could...

Well-said and needs to be said many more times.

Back