Why are flippy caps hated?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
Reaction score
No ranting here or anything. I was JW. I never had any problems with flippy caps and find them convenient in the field. Is there alot of problems with them? Have I just been lucky so far.

I guess I was just asking:
Do you hate flippy caps and why? Just wondering about some of the reasons people don't like them, thats all. :cheers:

I just wondered if a couple of well knowns here pronounced thier hatred towards them and everyone else follwed suit just to "agree".

Like I say, not picking any fights so please just reasons here, not rants. If there's problems with them, I just want to know about them.

Sometimes they are not easy to seat. You have to ride the rim of the tank opening a little bit to get things to line up .Sometimes you can get it to take in the wrong sequence and have it not seal.

They are also put in places where they make no sense. Like on the tank of a string trimmer or back pack blower. No reason not to have a nice, easy to use screw on cap there.

They are also more expensive than normal fuel caps. I have seen them crack and break, since there are more and thinner components that make them up rather than just a single piece of plastic...

love em. they work perfectly.

when I grab my one husky saw to use I always go, "oh yeah...this is the saw that has the crappy caps"!

Yooper hate 'em because his broke. I find mine to be convienient because mine have not broke. That's where I stand.

I don't hate them, they seem to work well enough. I just think a bored engineer was behind it....

Let's make it out of three pieces instead of one...:dizzy:

I don't like them because I had a saw that was leaking a little mix and went and bought a new one. It leaked more than the old. I pulled the o-ring off the new and put it on the old and leak fixed. It seems like you need to try a bunch of them to find one that fits the saw tanks the best.

I don't like them because I had a saw that was leaking a little mix and went and bought a new one. It leaked more than the old. I pulled the o-ring off the new and put it on the old and leak fixed. It seems like you need to try a bunch of them to find one that fits the saw tanks the best.

Nah... you just have to seat them correctly...

There ain't nothin' wrong with flip caps... :)

Gary

I can see where simpler is better, as I have both, when it comes to always working. Thats a legit reason. But I do find them alot quicker and easier to refuel in the field. And not having to walk back to the last place I laid my scrench down.:clap:

It does seems like I see tons of threads where people get new saws and they say something like "thank god, no flippys this time". I was JW what some of the reasoning behind the hate was.

Last edited:
I don't like them because they're pretentious, condescending, and offer no functional advantage over their predecessors. Evidently, Stihl thinks the average saw man is either too lazy or too incompetent to use a proper screw on lid. I don't know why you cream sickle blow holes put up with it. :)

I'm just the opposite -- I despise the Stihl screw-on caps. The sealing surface on the tank is too narrow, and the rubber gasket is too thin.

I just bought new fuel cap #3 for my 066. First day in the woods, the thin gasket bulged out and leaked.

Efco caps don't leak. Even the gas caps on disposable Poulans and Homelites don't leak. Those brands use a nice fat o-ring on the sealing surface.

Never tried the flippy caps, all I know is the Stihl screw-on fuel cap is a poor design.

I don't like them because they're pretentious, condescending, and offer no functional advantage over their predecessors. Evidently, Stihl thinks the average saw man is either too lazy or too incompetent to use a proper screw on lid. I don't know why you cream sickle blow holes put up with it. :)

Or maybe they were just trying to make things easier on people who actually run saws? :confused:

I guess I'm bi-cappy. I have both and can properly use either type. If I'm buying a saw and think I'm getting a good deal, I can care less what kinda caps it has. My 044 has one of each.

My ms200 has been rendered useless for the last couple weeks with a severly messed up oil flippy cap, i'm gonna have to cut it to get it off i figure. So I guess I'm 50/50 on them, the old finger turn cap on the 056 works like a darn charm, they should design them all that way.

No ranting here or anything. I was JW. I never had any problems with flippy caps and find them convenient in the field. Is there alot of problems with them? Have I just been lucky so far.

I guess I was just asking:
Do you hate flippy caps and why? Just wondering about some of the reasons people don't like them, thats all. :cheers:

I just wondered if a couple of well knowns here pronounced thier hatred towards them and everyone else follwed suit just to "agree".

Like I say, not picking any fights so please just reasons here, not rants. If there's problems with them, I just want to know about them.

They work just fine with me (so far), but they sure need to be put on the right way - they are not fool-proof, like ordinary caps mostly are. The conveniece when taking them off and tightening them more than compensates for it, imo.

However, I can understand that opinions on them vary.

Basically, I regard them as a non-issue - either way!

Last edited:
I personally wish the 660 stihls had the flip caps as well. The old screw on oil caps can unseat from vibration and you wear bar oil the rest of the day.

Flippy caps rule. Crappy caps well they are just crappy.

THEY SUCK!

It's too hard to seat them and even if you do you still aren't sure they REALLY ARE seated! Twice I've gotten to the tree and felt the wonderful oil on my leg!

They are flimsy and cheap feeling as well as break too easily! Now I have to be uber sensitive to not over tighten them, but have to make sure they are tight enough!

They are expensive! The last one I bought was over $10, that's BS for a damn gas or oil cap!

Over engineered pieces of crap!

And they SUCK!

Stihl has introduces several pretty lame features for that reason, and got good feed-back for it in so-called "tests" on consumer saws - so others had to more or less copy them on their consumer saws (like the tool-less chain tensioner).

The flippy caps are not in that category though! :givebeer:

Stihl has introduces several pretty lame features for that reason, and got good feed-back for it in so-called "tests" on consumer saws - so others had to more or less copy them on their consumer saws (like the tool-less chain tensioner).

The flippy caps are not in that category though! :givebeer:

The tool-less tensioner, now thats one I think we could possibly all agree on. Man, I really hate those.

Latest posts

Back