Why can't I get this to seal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What year is the 350? I have one I've torn apart several times and have never seen the strainer. Really puzzled.
Lol really? I tore three of them(well, two were 345s) down last night and they all had them. Not sure of the year but one was a primer bulb saw. The strainer is usually covered with grime so take a closer look pretty much straight in line with where the oil feed line exits the tank, only underneath.

That angle makes it look like it's under the flywheel side but it's not. I never knew it was down there either until one leaked...

You know, I’m not a saw guru, but, if that strainer were an aircraft part, that burr or tiny area that’s been mashed on the strainer might prevent it from going all the way in and sealing.
I’d dress it at least, or if I had another NOT mashed up, I’d replace it.

You know, I’m not a saw guru, but, if that strainer were an aircraft part, that burr or tiny area that’s been mashed on the strainer might prevent it from going all the way in and sealing.
I’d dress it at least, or if I had another NOT mashed up, I’d replace it. There are some tiny nicks in the two “sealing lips” on it that can be seen as well.
If it were an airplane, replacing that part would fix it.When I see little stuff like that I fix it because I’ve been bitten many times in the past for overlooking or ignoring it.

I’d dress it at least, or if I had another NOT mashed up, I’d replace it. There are some tiny nicks in the two “sealing lips” on it that can be seen as well.
If it were an airplane, replacing that part would fix it.When I see little stuff like that I fix it because I’ve been bitten many times in the past for overlooking or ignoring it.
I wasn't trusting my eyes veiwing the pics on a small smart phone screen, but thought I saw the things @av8or3 mentions. Have to 2nd this. The least imperfection and oil is going to find a path to seep through.

I wasn't trusting my eyes veiwing the pics on a small smart phone screen, but thought I saw the things @av8or3 mentions. Have to 2nd this. The least imperfection and oil is going to find a path to seep through.

20 inch monitor here and the defect was obvious. I thought he was joking.

I know what you're saying. I think I acknowledged the smears in the seal lip. The thing is, the other two strainers I put in had good seals. That's why I discounted that. But I understand why everyone would point to that. I would too.

Last night I put a thin o-ring in, filled the tank, and after a couple hours I had no leak. We'll see when I get home today.

I was just reminded of this thread, I got busy with the super bowl last night. I could not find an o-ring thin enough to sit between the two lips on the strainer, and seat into the case fully. The o-ring slipped down to the base and sealed against the case. It worked great. I got home yesterday afternoon and there wasn't even a drop on the clean rag I put under it. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back