Why do men like chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a simple question with manifold complex answers.

Some guys (Like me) are easily entertained and like loud, dangerous, destructive things... Some guys (Also like me) are fond of them for the ability it affords them to reasonably provide for themselves and others as they see fit, on their own terms. Some people (me again) love the time that it affords them in nature, away from the rest of the hamsters on wheels, in the peace and solitude of their own thoughts and struggles. Some (you guessed it) simply like the thought of actually accomplishing 1 thing that they started in a timely manner.

Chainsaws, much like firearms, are tools. They at once represent everything that is good and bad about mankind. They can be used for good or evil just as easily as they are inherently neither, simply a reflection of their operator. They represent the opportunity for those of us who are willing, to provide for ourselves, on our own terms without being beholden to another (sometimes anyway). They are devices of modest means which can provide great dividends and great enjoyment without requiring a second mortgage. As mentioned before they represent a multitude of challenges to operate safely, efficiently and skillfully. They, like many other things in life, require much upkeep and maintenance. This serves a a fairly obvious visual indicator to many as to those who do and those who do not and further separates the sloth from the determined.

In a way, not to be parochial, overly biblical (for those not inclined) or over-dramatic, they like many other things in life, represent the struggle of man; Good - vs -Evil, Work Ethic - vs- Laziness and Apathy, Determination vs Discouragement and Doubt, Good vs Evil and Success vs failure.

Making the decision (and then actually following through with it) to learn and use a chainsaw, well, with all that goes along with it, represents the individual choice to accept the hazards and proceed anyway. It is hard work and is for the resolute among individuals. It is that pioneering and indomitable spirit that is a part of all of us, which only some of us are willing to embrace.

Ultimately, it is the resolved declaration of self-determination.

Great/Insightful post!
You must have been a psychologist or Philosopher in another life.

Great/Insightful post!
You must have been a psychologist or Philosopher in another life.

LOL, Thanks! I don't know about all of that, but once you cut through the ego, testosterone and B.S, there are some pretty compelling reasons for doing this. Tht and CAD and Pie and Bacon... MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm BACON!!!!! :msp_wub:

Back