Why do people cut like this??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried all those fancy notch stuff at one time or another and what I prefer is to notch exactly the way of intended fall. I then hook my 20 ton winch to it and cut it, I have no doubt it will go where I want it to. Thick thin hinge can and will fail, after 24 years of notching and felling a consistent hinge thickness and adequate pull is my failsafe. Properties of wood are the main deciding factor in thick thin failure but I have no need to doodle bug anymore. I want it right where I want the log no exceptions.

Last edited:
"Well i was cutting today for a guy. I started my cut, did the notch and then started the back cut he runs over and starts yelling at me that i was doing it all wrong and have to have the nothch on an angle like the picture. I tried to explain to him that he was wrong and the right way but he refues so to shut him up i did his stipud angle cut??? they were smaller trees so it worked fine but i did gut the stumps down alot lowwer i was embarased LOL
He onley stayed for 2 trees and left thinking he showed me something? Ill let him think he won."

=============

When dealing with an individual who has been through a zealous training I have found carrying a copy of the 'Watchtower' handy. (Jehovah's Witness scary stuff)
Usually they'll get a glazed look and back off.

-------------

OK, so I wasn't funny. BUT, comparing falling fanatics with religious fanatics has its place.

Dern it I'm outta rep for you. That is a good one.

"The notch can indeed help steer the tree. If the notch is sawn so one side closes first the tree will swing away. A wedge placed in the notch (thrown in at the last second ) will help push the tree away from that side. And of course a Humboldt will get the tree to the ground faster or give a launch to it. A gap will do similar though more exagerated."

-----------

When looking at what other techniques might be available for you to use we have to consider that some methods are unsafe and should not be attempted.

"A wedge placed in the notch (thrown in at the last second)"

This sounds like a humboldt cutter, staying at the stump.

Safety. Fair enough. Is there a way around this safety violation for you?

1) Use a conventional, as stated, and place wedge or other object prior to the back-cut. The bottom flat of a conventional face allows for this.
2) Use a humboldt but with a snipe offset to help take the tree in the desired direction.

The humboldt snipe is actually the best way of doing this as there is nothing to pop out.

BTW throwing in a wedge is a last resort when the tree needs just a nudge to avoid disaster. I'm runnig in cusssing and running out praying!

BTW throwing in a wedge is a last resort when the tree needs just a nudge to avoid disaster. I'm runnig in cusssing and running out praying!

AHAHAH +1 rep That funny and true

Back