Why do people cut like this??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when a tree starts commiting but you dont allow it to fall due to too much hinge wood and or crappy faces. So the tree slabs from the stump and falls, usually it will open up and come off a few yards up and then hit the deck HARD right where you are standing. so if it dont re-do your face it can drive you underground. Allmost lost a hand to a basketball sized white oak that had split.

a barber chair is when the tree falls but it splits in half about 10 feet up, so then you have a tree thats fallen with its but sticking up in the air 10 feet and a bunch of wood thats holding the butt off the ground. hard to get down safely unless you have a skidder or something handy. it can also toss you and your stuff far away when the but kicks up, not pretty. i know some guys who have gotten kicked in the face so to say by barber chairs, they all lived but needless to say they made a quick trip to the ER.

I remember when I was a kid helping my dad cut firewood, there were alot of barber chair stumps that some other guy had made before we got on the farmer's property.

Dad said, "That d##n fool is going to kill himself cutting down trees like that some day."

I do not recall reading the guy's name in the obituary though. Still, that's a bad way to cut down a tree.

Barber chair picture here:

barberchair.jpg

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/manual/felling/cuts/dangers/dangers.html

i worked on a thinning today and the landowner gave me the big challenge trees, while he took off whittlin' away on the smaller ones... every one of them was a sloped backcut, no face... i'd hate to trip and take a fall on one of those stumps

i explained to him what will eventually happen with his method of cutting - he just grumbled and kept on cuttin'

Gents,

There are a bazillion stumps like that around here,and many more that are simply cut at a downward angle.

My Cousin makes a single Fall cut , though I have warned him. He learned from the same gent that taught his dad, and that man cleared several hundred acres of trees WAAY back in the day.
It ain't right, but that's the facts.

As for the "mini Chair" cuts, I think I have seen that angled back cut illustrated in an owners manual as a "How to".

I can't swear by it, but I do believe it was in the owners manual that came with a Sears black and grey Crapsman that I deliverd to the Brother in law, to replace the saw(Crapsman) I kinda sorta ran over:blush: and destroyed.
This was about 1994 or 1995ish.

Anybody got some of the old Crapsman saw tutorials from then?

It might be in another Saw Manual, but I know full well it was in a Saw "How to safely" that came with a new Saw, and that leaves one of 5 I have bought in the last 20 years, which rules out all but the Crapsman... the rest were huskys and a Stihl.

OH!!!
I actually got a "Reverse" Barber chair the other day!!!

20" Sassafrass that had a hollow above the cut.
Thankfully it waited untill I started away from the tree, and the chunk that got flung missed anything important.
Being somewhat rotten and frozen likely added to the matter.
All the same, it's good to be cautious, and when you hear creaking and popping start too early in the cut..MOVE!!!!

I'll dig around and ask the BIL if he still ha the Literature that came with that nasty old Crapsman.

Stay safe!!
Dingeryote

Speaking of "Hollow". Has anyone else been pissed on by a Cherry? I was Starting my plunge on an over mature Cherry. It just so happened to be hollow and full of water. Sprayed all over me and stunk like Cat piss. Just needed fire wood but learned a lesson as well. :)

You know, that kind of looks like a wheel I might reinvent. Good thing I learned about it here. Thanks everybody.

i worked on a thinning today and the landowner gave me the big challenge trees, while he took off whittlin' away on the smaller ones... every one of them was a sloped backcut, no face... i'd hate to trip and take a fall on one of those stumps

i explained to him what will eventually happen with his method of cutting - he just grumbled and kept on cuttin'

I been told that there are not a lot of natural things that will cut a skidder tire, but a fire over a stump cut like that will char and harden it so it will easely cut a skidder tire.

Can't be a lot of fun if hit with a snowmobile or quad either.

tree notch

i dn ive seen that nothc alot to.ive never been taught 2 cut like that.the cox company now makes us use a birds mouth notch or we can get fined..the boar cut still works with it so it isnt that bad

Are you talking about when you are logging on mill-owned land? Some of the mills around here that own land will require that the loggers be NYLT certified i.e. GOL trained. In the pic that is posted, that is GOL style hence the bore cut, and the hinge size is already set.

Back