Why Do Stihl Saws Cost SO Much More?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ha
As a former marketing guy, it is nice to see how many of you boys credit Stihl's advertising for their success. Not knowing anything about chainsaws (things ain't changed much) I asked some pros for a recommendation. Each said Stihl, absolutely, was the way to go.
Advertising can be very beneficial, very! But, if you don't have a great product at an affordable price with great support staff, you can spend billions on advertising and go belly up in no time.

Circuit City poured 180,000,000 million into advertising one year as a young company, which drove in the foot traffic. From there, it fizzled pretty quick.

Iacocca single-handedly saved Chrysler by personally advertising the 5 year 50,0000 mile warranty.

My hard earned tax money saved Chrysler/Fiat

As a former marketing guy, it is nice to see how many of you boys credit Stihl's advertising for their success. Not knowing anything about chainsaws (things ain't changed much) I asked some pros for a recommendation. Each said Stihl, absolutely, was the way to go.
Advertising can be very beneficial, very! But, if you don't have a great product at an affordable price with great support staff, you can spend billions on advertising and go belly up in no time.

Circuit City poured 180,000,000 million into advertising one year as a young company, which drove in the foot traffic. From there, it fizzled pretty quick.

Iacocca single-handedly saved Chrysler by personally advertising the 5 year 50,0000 mile warranty.

The homeowner saws outsell the pro saws by a huge amount and that my friend is advertisement and bragging rights. Most do not even know what a pro saw is.

The homeowner saws outsell the pro saws by a huge amount and that my friend is advertisement and bragging rights. Most do not even know what a pro saw is.

I saw a guy yesterday with a dump trailer and a wild thing cutting down trees along the road in front of a subdivision. That guys making money with a 100 dollar saw why would he buy a stihl pro saw he has a wild thing. What a joke.

At a Stihl/Deere dealer you ask for a 3/8-8 sprocket for an 044 and they take 10 LONG minutes to find the part in the book.
And then go look for it.
At the Stihl dealer Diane walks back and gets it while talking to you. Knows the saws.

The Deere Dealer that sells Stihl at home is a joke when it comes to parts.

I have access to Stihl Parts look up, & I bring in the part number.

1st Statement-
What does it go on?
2nd Statement-
That’s not right

7th Statement-
Oh, I see. Yeah, we don’t have that part here.

It’s easier for me to just find it online & have it shipped.

It has been years since I have had any thing to do with a Stihl dealer. I can click a saw on line and it shows up at the post office or home delivery. I have to spend 6 hours to to order or buy some thing from Stihl. Unless Stihl is light years better than any other saw and cheaper then Stihl is not an option. I have at least 6 Stihls now, but soon I will have at least 10 Huskies. The new Stihls are not worth owning anyway. I will go way way out of my way to stay away from auto tune and carburetor limiters. Thanks

I run an Homelite C-5 and can easily get parts for it. Parts are readily available. I do all my own work. I did a complete tear-down on it and re-built it from the ground up. This is a 6 HP chainsaw and to get the equivalent in another brand, you're talking well over $1,000.00. And the other brand still will not out live this saw. Now, if ya can't fix 'em yourself, then yeah, the dealership makes all the difference in the world. So that may dictate what you purchase. Unfortunately, it probably won't be as well made and reliable.

My ha

My hard earned tax money saved Chrysler/Fiat
As it did GM and Ford as well.

Chrysler and GM got loans from the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP). Chrysler got $4 billion and $1.1 billion for Chrysler (less then Ford). GM got $13.4 billion loan with $6 billion set aside for GMAC.

Congress decided that the best alternative for Ford was to get funds from the Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility (TALF), which is a government program for auto, student, and other consumer loans. Ford was given $5.9 billion. Ford Credit also borrowed $15.9 billion. Add it all up, Ford got more money then each of the two other companies did.

They were all bailed out! :yes:

NYH1.

And that is why I buy foreign cars. These greedy corporate bastards, that make up the top dogs of the big three have totally screwed over the American people, they have no alegence to their main customers, the American people, and worst of all, there is no recourse for their actions...So blank them! They will never again get one dime of my money, for their overpriced junk again! End rant.

If the guy is making money and the saw works, What difference does it make what saw he has? I cut a lot of firewood with a wild thing clone.

I wouldn't trust an "arborist" to take down trees by houses and cars if he showed up with a wild thing. Same deal with skilled trades workers who use royobi and harbor freight power tools. Would you trust a guy cutting crown molding with a Chicago electric miter saw?

Sometimes it has more to do with the man, then the tool. I have used plenty of cheap tools, to do what needs to be done. Does using a cheaper tool automatically make one less competent? It means nothing.

Sometimes it has more to do with the man, then the tool. I have used plenty of cheap tools, to do what needs to be done. Does using a cheaper tool automatically make one less competent? It means nothing.

On a professional level I completely disagree. As for the guy who likes to do projects here or there sure they are fine and can do good work.

I wouldn't trust an "arborist" to take down trees by houses and cars if he showed up with a wild thing. Same deal with skilled trades workers who use royobi and harbor freight power tools. Would you trust a guy cutting crown molding with a Chicago electric miter saw?
You're judging a book by it's cover. I wouldn't care what he used long as it gone done. I hired three guys to cut three trees in the yard last year. they had a bucket truck and a 391 stihl. not a pro saw. they done a good job.BTW: do you think the average homeowner that hires a tree removal would know the difference between a wild thing and a 461?

On a professional level I completely disagree. As for the guy who likes to do projects here or there sure they are fine and can do good work.

I worked for a marble company for 10 years that provided nothing but Harbor Freight tools, with a few exceptions...they were tight wads. Yes, things may have went smoother with higher quality tools, but we made it work, and some of us installers did mighty fine work, with those crappy tools.

Price of his tools does not a professional make.

No it does not but a professional should know the value of quality tools and not cheap throw aways. Stihl is no different than dewalt or snapon or mac and so on. It may be advertising but I think there's more to it than that. When u think snap on or mac you think mechanic when u think dewalt you think construction. Tree work makes me think husky or stihl pro saw or not. Professional grade tools for professionals. Those tools come with a price. That's where I was going with all this. Just my opinion on the topic of this post.

I use all my saws and most all are not pro saws and only a few are stihl.

Back