Why Do Stihl Saws Cost SO Much More?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw a MS362 for $750 and a 562XP for $740 at two different dealers the other day. Not sure if the MS362 was the M-Tronic version or not and how much that would effects the price.

Just two examples in my area. Other then the 365/372XT's, I don't know the prices of either companies larger saws. We don't need anything bigger then them.

Both Stihl and Husqvarna have plenty of dealers in my area.

NYH1.

362's are $650 here and 461's are $925

Did you check Spike60 for a 562 or 372 price? Bet Chipper1 or myself could give you a price on a used 372 in great condition.
Pretty sure he's not looking to buy a hooskie ;).
Besides why you trying to sell my 372's, I have a limited supply :innocent:.
You know I need a bunch for all the cutting I do lol.

Actually I thought I had scored me a nice 562XP, but it turned out it was seized.

I've heard some great things about the 372 as well. Not that I'd admit it in front of my Stihl group lol

A local purchased that full wrap 372 from me and about a week later calls and said he just purchased a processor and would not need the saw. Asked if I knew anyone that might buy it, he has purchased several 365/372's from me and I said sure, I will buy it back, he had not cut with it. Just could not keep from messing with it and now it has a new oem Mahle 51.4 jug on it. :buttkick:

Actually I thought I had scored me a nice 562XP, but it turned out it was seized.

I've heard some great things about the 372 as well. Not that I'd admit it in front of my Stihl group lol
If it has an el48 carb and saw looks good, make an offer. I was given one last year, seized, put a new top end on it, vacuum checked, had it re-flashed and person that purchased it has not had a problem yet.

If it has an el48 carb and saw looks good, make an offer. I was given one last year, seized, put a new top end on it, vacuum checked, had it re-flashed and person that purchased it has not had a problem yet.

I was looking forward to comparing it to my MS360. Some thought I'd never use the old 360 again. He was asking $350 for it before we discovered it's seized. If he will take $100 for it, I'll PM you for help.

I feel it is based on regional market share and of course the quality of service/parts/price of your local dealer(s). Around here there's only one Husky dealer and they don't stock much nor is the product line their main concern. On the other hand there are tons of Stihl dealers, some of which provide excellent service and parts availability. The latter is what swayed my decision in buying Stihl saws. I wouldn't say that they are any better than Husky, but the overall ownership experience is better with a Stihl down here. One of these days I'd like to buy a pro-series Husky saw for sake of comparison.

I was looking forward to comparing it to my MS360. Some thought I'd never use the old 360 again. He was asking $350 for it before we discovered it's seized. If he will take $100 for it, I'll PM you for help.
I thought I'd be selling all my 50cc huskys when I grabbed up a VSII 261 the way everyone bragged it up, I sold it 2 weeks after I got it and never looked back(that doesn't mean I wouldn't own another, just wasn't overly impressed). It didn't have any more power in hand than a 550 and I prefer the husky for handling, I don't mind the outboard clutch on a husky for maintenance and since I'm running a bunch of them I'm not constantly having to pull the clutch anyway.
What I'm trying to say is; does the 562 have more power, heck yeah it does, but if your not cutting everyday a 360 is a great 60cc saw. There are things I like about the 562 better, the flippy caps, better anti vibe, the captured bar nuts, better air filtration, fuel window, and the fuel economy(not for saving fuel, but for length of run time). That being said if your a stihl guy and like the way a stihl handles then a 362 offers most all the same advantages in a package that you may be more comfortable with.
When you get it for 100 just shot me a PM with your PayPal info and I'll get you my address and some cash :D.

@chipper1 I do prefer the way Stihls "feel" to me, over the four Huskies we have, but thats a 240,445,450 and a 450 Rancher. I've yet to use an XP saw , I was hoping they'd change my opinion.
Probably not if that's what your accustom to, maybe try a jred, but you better get what you want quick as the guys who like them are scooping them up quick since they are no more. They will still have offerings just under redmax and I'm not sure what all they will have for choices. A 2258 is a nice saw as is a 2260, and you may like the straight handlebar better.
You may like the handling of the larger huskys as the handling is felt more on them than the smaller ones. I have many smaller stihls as I can throw them around better because they are light and the handling doesn't make as much of a difference to me. I will run whatever you hand me with a sharp chain if I have to though lol.

The only pro saws that Redmax is keeping is the 2253,2171,and 2188
I was wondering because I've seen some pictures and it looked as if there was more than that, and their website also showed more in some places and I heard different. Good thing is is doesn't matter to much for me, if I want something I find it, and I already have stock and ported 550 as well as a slightly modded 562. I would like to get a 560, but I don't see spending that much to get one or the time/effort/money to build one.
Did they start making the 2171 again :p.
Do you only have the one jred, and the wild thing of course lol.

@chipper1 I do prefer the way Stihls "feel" to me, over the four Huskies we have, but thats a 240,445,450 and a 450 Rancher. I've yet to use an XP saw , I was hoping they'd change my opinion.

What's the difference between the 450 and 450 rancher? I think the 450 has a real nice feel and anti vibe and they sound good to with that wide open muffler. I don't use it much but when I do I always ask myself y I don't use it more.

I was wondering because I've seen some pictures and it looked as if there was more than that, and their website also showed more in some places and I heard different. Good thing is is doesn't matter to much for me, if I want something I find it, and I already have stock and ported 550 as well as a slightly modded 562. I would like to get a 560, but I don't see spending that much to get one or the time/effort/money to build one.
Did they start making the 2171 again [emoji14].
Do you only have the one jred, and the wild thing of course lol.

I have a few other saws. Mostly just plastic big box store varieties.[emoji41]

What's the difference between the 450 and 450 rancher? I think the 450 has a real nice feel and anti vibe and they sound good to with that wide open muffler. I don't use it much but when I do I always ask myself y I don't use it more.
I didn't know there was a 450 that was not a rancher. The 450 rancher is a great small saw, about the same specs as a 353, and my favorite stock plastic cased saw. I like the quick clips for getting at the air filter, great saw for someone cutting mainly 8-12" wood.

Back