Why does he do this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It saves some stress on your starter with high compression engines, remember he is selling these saws and does not want to brake a old starter rope or an assembly and have to replace anything.

At the start of the video, the guy revs it up and then pulls the starter rope out as the saw shuts down. What is the reason for doing this? Is it some kind of test or something?

Here's a link to the video.

YouTube - The chainsaw guy shop talk Stihl MS 391 chainsaw 2 16

Thanks,
Rob

Don't know anything about that particular saw, but it does save stress on the starter pawls on saws where the pawls are mounted on the flywheel. Generally regarded as tom-foolery around the internet world........

Never seen that before in my life. Can't see any useful purpose playing with the recoil while the saw is shutting down. New chains not sharp? lol. This guy is a clown. Didn't know how to properly demonstrate the master control either. Cheers.

Older engines with spring loaded starter pawls on the flywheel will catch the recoil when the engine is shut down. If the recoil is already contracted the pawls catch with a sharp thump as the flywheel comes to a near stop but the flywheel is still spinning, it gives the recoil mechanism a violent jerk, By pulling the rope out a bit the pawls catch but the pull handle is not nested and will pull the handle down a bit along with your hand, its just not as violent or abrupt and not as hard on the recoil mechanism.

I seen this done for the first time at the VA GTG when a fellow member was shutting down some of his large McCulloch saws, namely a SP81 and a SP125. The explanation that pioneerguy600 gave is the same one I got when I asked about the practice.

I've watched his videos before, he does this with every saw. I was wondering the same thing.

I haven't seen that done either - on a modern saw at least. Interesting video though, it states that "The chainsaw guy has worked on over 200,000 saws" ... he must be one busy guy :msp_ohmy:

PoineerGuy said it well. The flyweel mounted pawls can catch against the recoil hub when she slows down and kicks back against compresion. When the rope/handle is firmly seated in it's housing, you will hear a clunk when the parts come together. Homies, Macs, Poineers, all share that type of recoil mech. It's old-school habit, but there's valid reason for it. Rich is a solid guy, I trust his judgement.

I never really noticed Rich doing that, I guess my attention to detail is lacking, but I do remember my dad doing that to his saws and the lawn mower.

Rich is an ausome guy had a few saws come from him always a treat to talk to about old saw problems. Hes got alot of mac parts to.

Never herd of that either until I started playing with the Macs. You will notice when you shut them down it grabs the starter, so its now a common practice for me on all my old Macs. Rich is a good guy to, sell a lot of saws, and answers any questions you ask. I have talked to him on FB looking for parts, didnt have what I needed but seemed to be a pretty nice guy.

Good thread. I have seen chainsaw guy videos and wondered the same thing.:msp_wink:

I haven't seen that done either - on a modern saw at least. Interesting video though, it states that "The chainsaw guy has worked on over 200,000 saws" ... he must be one busy guy :msp_ohmy:

Don't believe everything you read. That's over 27 per day, every day, weekend, and holiday, for 20 years. He's fos.

Back