Why does my 5000 plus like to be held?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSS

Cowshot
Reaction score
Bought a pioneer/partner 5000 plus little while ago. What a hot rod....I love it.
Had it noodling some oak and some poplar today, man this little saw rips! I know what everyone has been talking about all these years.

Anyway, as the title says, it needs to be held. If you carry it around it will idle indefinitely.
As soon as I set it on the ground, it stops almost instantly.

Here is what I tried so far.

Air/fuel filters are new/clean.Fuel line looks new, can't find anything wrong there.
Inspected the plug wire, wire to the kill switch, coil mounting etc....all looks good to my non-professional eye.
A/V seems soft on this saw,I thought that maybe something was getting pinched .....if so, I can't find it.
Other than this small problem, the saw works as it should, cuts like crazy, revs like crazy, I can turn it upside down idling and it will not stall.

WTF???????????

Only abnormal thing I can see is that the kill switch doesn't seem to act instantly, seems to take a split second to kill the motor.

Any thoughts? Feel free to tell me i'm a dummy.........;)

Is there alot of iron in the ground where you are located and was the ground damp?Maybe that and the fact that the earths magnetic flow is slowly reversing might have something to do with it:givebeer:Would like to try one of those 5000's,I have only heard good things about them:clap:

How does the intake boot look? I'm betting there is a crack that opens up when you set the saw down.

Is the kill wire getting pinched when you set it down?:confused:

I have one for parts so I 'm going to go look it over to see how they run the kill wire.

Last edited:
Is there alot of iron in the ground where you are located and was the ground damp?Maybe that and the fact that the earths magnetic flow is slowly reversing might have something to do with it:givebeer:Would like to try one of those 5000's,I have only heard good things about them:clap:
LOL, I don't know if it's the magnetic flow, or the tide, or what is happening in the gulf right now or what. Yes, if you ever get a chance, try one. I still can't believe how hard this little saw rips.
How does the intake boot look? I'm betting there is a crack that opens up when you set the saw down.

Funny you should bring that up, I just, about 15 minutes ago ,finished putting the saw back together after looking at the boot. No tears, actually looks to have been replaced lately. Piston looks great, saw has 175 psi. :dizzy:

Is the kill wire getting pinched when you set it down?:confused:

No, actually that was one of the first things I looked for, something getting pinched. I had the thing pretty well stripped, and can't see anything wrong????????

Is the alien mother ship floating overhead or nearby?

I was told by one of the locals here that the Earth is scheduled for a visit from the Intergalactic Federation this year ..........

Not again...........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I just got the mess cleaned up from the last time those SOB's were here......

:censored:

Are you blippimg the throttle every now and then when carrying it? Also check to see if the fuel filter is on the bottom of tank and not hung up on top. I had one do that one time. The way i carried it was getting fuel but when it set down the filter was out of the mix. may not be it, Dunno just something to check.

LOL, I don't know if it's the magnetic flow, or the tide, or what is happening in the gulf right now or what. Yes, if you ever get a chance, try one. I still can't believe how hard this little saw rips.

Funny you should bring that up, I just, about 15 minutes ago ,finished putting the saw back together after looking at the boot. No tears, actually looks to have been replaced lately. Piston looks great, saw has 175 psi. :dizzy:

Pressure/Vac test the saw to be sure.

Are you blippimg the throttle every now and then when carrying it? Also check to see if the fuel filter is on the bottom of tank and not hung up on top. I had one do that one time. The way i carried it was getting fuel but when it set down the filter was out of the mix. may not be it, Dunno just something to check.

Well, Steve, went and looked, moved the filter around and still the same.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Don't have to blip the throttle, just carry it. I can hold it by the rear handle, turn it over, horizontal, vertical, spin it in circles...etc

Put it down and it stops within 5 seconds. It will occasionally quit while carrying it, but its very rare.
It's just like that stupid seat switch on a lawn tractor, that shuts it off when you get up.
Gonna have to do more detective work I guess. Thanks for the input.

Pressure/Vac test the saw to be sure.

We were typing at the same time Mark. I don't have the equipment to do that, but I guess it would be a logical place to start.

Good excuse to buy some new tools.:cheers:

We were typing at the same time Mark. I don't have the equipment to do that, but I guess it would be a logical place to start.

Good excuse to buy some new tools.:cheers:

I made most of the stuff to do it with, just need to make a new block off plate now and then when you work on lots of different ones.

You shouldnt have to spend alot to get started doing it.

Well, Steve, went and looked, moved the filter around and still the same.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Don't have to blip the throttle, just carry it. I can hold it by the rear handle, turn it over, horizontal, vertical, spin it in circles...etc

Put it down and it stops within 5 seconds. It will occasionally quit while carrying it, but its very rare.
It's just like that stupid seat switch on a lawn tractor, that shuts it off when you get up.
Gonna have to do more detective work I guess. Thanks for the input.
You definitely have a strange deal there. Hopefully someone can help you out.

I think I remember a thread awhile ago about an 026 that did the same thing.Maybe I will look through some old threads and see.The thread is-"026 dies when set on ground-symptom of?"maybe it will help.

Last edited:
its been a while since we had those saws,, but is there a safety switch in that throttle linkage in the handle? gramp always had his safety taped down with elec tape, cant remember exactly why. just a brainfart! and i have eternal love for those saws!:cheers:

I'd like to say it might be the heated handles. The 5000 Plus had saw exhaust running thru the handles on some models. I got one, but doesn't beat the 346 I don't think.
John

I seem to think of fuel puddling in the crankcase. I have a saw like that but its just a big baby so I just hold it.

Back