why I hate oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He might hate oak because the saw looks a little small (might be a 250 or 025) and/or the bar looks a little short for a tree trunk that size. For most of the bucking I would have pulled out my 361 or 046 and then used the smaller saw for limbing. Just MHO.

And yes I hate creeks with a passion. Have 3 on the land I cut on and hate them all so much

I have 2 creeks where I cut, I have a Polaris Ranger 800, there's a beech tree the size of your oak I can not get to yet, I wait for the freeze, although it may not come this year......I hate looking at it....

He might hate oak because the saw looks a little small (might be a 250 or 025) and/or the bar looks a little short for a tree trunk that size. For most of the bucking I would have pulled out my 361 or 046 and then used the smaller saw for limbing. Just MHO.
The 250 was just out there to cut rounds the next day that didn't get cut all the way. My ms391 went right though the trunk and the 500p handled the top.

Oak is way better than hickory, dont knock it because you don't have the right equipment.
Just my view I guess. Don't burn much. Oak. Had a few limbs fall of the 6 foot thick white oak next to the house. I'll try that and see if it burns better then the dead red oak.

I have 2 creeks where I cut, I have a Polaris Ranger 800, there's a beech tree the size of your oak I can not get to yet, I wait for the freeze, although it may not come this year......I hate looking at it....
We have lots of beech here. Never burned it cause it gose right to the current father inlaw. He loves it so I trade it to him. I notice that it will rot in no time at all. There's some from when the loggers came through 3 foot round just piles of dirt after 5 years.

20160205_172938.jpgwell got my 700 back and the 660 running. Was gunna work on that oak when the sun comes up here soon but the 2 year old caliper on my main truck went out so wood will have to wait.

Pin oak is among the most dense wood and it definatly needs 2 summers at least to dry

View attachment 484072well got my 700 back and the 660 running. Was gunna work on that oak when the sun comes up here soon but the 2 year old caliper on my main truck went out so wood will have to wait.

That Oak ruined the 2 year old caliper on your main truck? Huh?
I cut an Oak before and it made my wife sleep with 3 of the neighbors, the mailman, mailwoman, and the guy from Comcast cable.
So, I can totally relate to your hating oak situation brother. Oak ruined my marriage.
Should we create a poll or change this thread to: How has Oak ruined your life?

I stopped hauling wood with a four wheeler a couple years ago and bought a skid steer.

I cut an Oak before and it made my wife sleep with 3 of the neighbors, the mailman, mailwoman, and the guy from Comcast cable.
So, I can totally relate to your hating oak situation brother. Oak ruined my marriage.
did you catch her with the mailwoman? sounds like fun to me..

I don't skid with my quad. IRS and belts aren't made for it. Seen too many ruined doing it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I hate the smell of fresh cut pin oak. Smells like dog$#!† in my opinion. But love the way it burns and agree 2 years minimum C/S/S to dry.

It's funny, bur oak smells great when splitting and drying afterwards. The smoke IMO smells horrible though. Ash and Elm don't smell particularly great when cut and split, but don't smell bad at all when burning.

hmmm... interesting story. (scratches head) so my options are get married and stop cutting oak? or stay single and cut what I want? Hmmm... I'm not the biggest fan of oak, since it takes 2-3 years to properly season. but I'll stay single and keep my options open. lol.

Ambidextrous. Write left handed, throw right handed. Actually had to weld the cradle on cause they only had bolt holes on the other side.
wow thats kewl. I have a friend like that. he was raised in catholic school. nuns would smack his knuckles with a ruler for writing left handed. (aka sinister hand) so he learned to do both. its a good skill actually. you have some nice equipment actually, and you have some yamaha's too!! lol. I don't see anything wrong with that truck, honestly. and I am super jealous of your wood lot you get to scrounge in. :)

Back