Why I prefer a 460 over a 660 90% of the time.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks/sounds real strong Brad. So ... after a ported 460 the only step up worth taking is to an 880?

I ran my ported M-Tronic 441 and a stock 460 I recently bought side by side Saturday in a variety of woods which included some large, seasoned hickory butts for noodling pleasure. The 460 wore my 20" Sugi and a full chisel chain, and the C-M a 28" ES Light with a full skip. Both ran great, with the 441 clearly pulling higher revs. I left mightily impressed with my pawn shop find 460 though, it hung pretty good.

Side by side like this, a 460 will make a 660 sound that way. The 660 just doesn't make the RPMs of a 460. That's why I love a 460 so much. The numbers are less than ideal on the BB kits, but it made good RPMs and felt very good in the cut. I could push on it hard, even with the 8-pin.

It looked like it had plenty of torque there. I would think there would be a difference going the other way with a 32" bar and 30" of wood.

Last edited:
Man I wish cutting trees was all about 18" sticks sittin in a sawbuck and a camera....

lets go find some 4' oak and put some 36" or better bars on both those saws and give the 66 a chance at what its designed to work at. Its not always about RPM....so much tougher to measure torque with a camera though...

Sorry guys they are both great saws....one is designed to run in MUCH bigger wood then the other. So yes if I only HAD to bring one saw to the landing to cut firewood...it would be the 460.

I agree entirely, and said as much in the OP. This was simply to show guys that are blinded by the "bigger is always better" philosophy, that it's not always true. Some guys like to preach that a 066, or similar is the answer to everything. That's simply wrong.

Good post......and so true.

The only gripe I have toward the 1122 series is directed at the newer versions. The 660 is a weak nutted overweight pig (using Sawtroll speak :laugh:) compared to the flat top or red light.

Here's a video of a well modified 660 doing it's thing. The exhaust port is just too high from the factory for the saw to ever run as well as a stock flat top. It's these saws that make a 460 look good......well at least till I get ahold of em. :D

There's no room left to drop these BB kits to get the exhaust back down. The exhaust was way up at 93°, and the intake all the way down at 87°. I don't care to take the intake any lower than it already is. Porting is about taking what you have and making the most out of it. I think this one turned or quite well all things considered. Putting a hot 460 next to a 660 will always makethe 660 sound lazy.

Last edited:
660 /460

I have always felt the 660 just right at home with a 36" bar.That saw feeds off big timber.The 460 is just as fast in smaller wood maybe even faster.

I agree entirely, and said as much in the OP. This was simply to show guys that are blinded by the "bigger is always better" philosophy, that it's not always true. Some guys like to preach that a 066, or similar is the answer to everything. That's simply wrong.

+1

Small saws = small wood.
Medium saws = medium wood.
Large saws = large wood.

Elementary.

I think it would be great to do timed cuts with a 460 and 25 inch bar/chain in 24 inch wood against a 660 with 36 inch bar/chain in 36 inch wood. Each saw doing what it was designed to do.

Go ported 880 and you'll pull a 9 pin with a 36" bar buried in white oak. But seriously I was surprised how much more power my 460 had over my 044. Even stumping 24" maple I would not have been able to tell the difference between my 460 and 660.

Did I hear someone say something about putting big bars in big wood and comparing? Here is an 372XPDUB with a 32" bar that was faster than a lot of the 066/ms660 buildoff saws. With a 32" bar I can cut a 64" tree and there aren't many hardwoods that big left out there much less bigger. Now, if only someone would have put a 32" bar on an ms4sexy in these cants for a comparison :msp_wink:
[video=youtube;PRNqg_cXVfs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRNqg_cXVfs&feature=bf_prev&list=UUfB03KVhJRBISPufMa8F7GA&lf=plcp[/video]

Last edited:
Stock 460 ozzy dual port model V ported 441CM V stock 660 BB kit ozzy dual port V ported 660 dual port all with 28 '' bar and the same chain in Ozzy HARD wood all have 7 pin rims on.

[video=youtube;Z3DoQd_Otp0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3DoQd_Otp0[/video]

Man I wish cutting trees was all about 18" sticks sittin in a sawbuck and a camera....

lets go find some 4' oak and put some 36" or better bars on both those saws and give the 66 a chance at what its designed to work at. Its not always about RPM....so much tougher to measure torque with a camera though...

Sorry guys they are both great saws....one is designed to run in MUCH bigger wood then the other. So yes if I only HAD to bring one saw to the landing to cut firewood...it would be the 460.

In a 4 foot oak might as well break the 090 out itèll outcut any of the modern stihl saws ported or not in wood that size...

Well now if we are whippin out videos...... :msp_ohmy:

460 (my build off saw from last year) 32" bar

[video=youtube;yO_x1HOIpDk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO_x1HOIpDk&list=UUg2yelCeKwB12xIohZfmf1g&index=11&feature=plcp[/video]

My 066 (build off saw from this year) 32" bar

[video=youtube;LSpf1ZQKIrk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSpf1ZQKIrk&list=UUg2yelCeKwB12xIohZfmf1g&index=10&feature=plcp[/video]

Put 404 chains on both of those saws and then see what happens. I am almost suprised 660's don't come stock with it.

Back