• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Why lift bar tip when tensioning chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonsered Jack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but what is the reasoning behind lifting the bar tip when tensioning the chain. I see recommendations to do that but I have never noticed a difference between lifting it or not.

This is my little experience I have here, but I’ve been told lifting it raises the bar to match evenly with your gunning sights on the saw, for example the black lines on stihl’s. Not sure to the truth behind that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s how I was taught by the local gurus. Think about it we pry up on the rear handle with the bar tip in the upward position it’s locked in place. If it’s in the lower position I believe the chain can go slack.

It has been suggested to turn the saw upside down when tightening the chain and let gravity hold the bar in the "up" position. I think I saw this at the Husqvarna demo at the Paul Bunyan show a couple hears ago. Never tried it.
Not necessary really overkill. Sounds stupid to me.

It has been suggested to turn the saw upside down when tightening the chain and let gravity hold the bar in the "up" position. I think I saw this at the Husqvarna demo at the Paul Bunyan show a couple hears ago. Never tried it.

Not necessary really overkill. Sounds stupid to me.
I already know my mental challenges and some other deficits - maybe why on a half of dozen occasions I have flipped the saw upside down or set the tip on a block so I could use both hands as I struggled with a bent bar adjustment screw on a front adjustment saw.

One of our esteemed members contends you shouldn’t hold the tip up and has a YouTube video on it. Personally, I have never had an issue with the practice.

This is my first ever non-sales related discussion in the Trading Post. Maybe a mod will move it.

Ron

I already know my mental challenges and some other deficits - maybe why on a half of dozen occasions I have flipped the saw upside down or set the tip on a block so I could use both hands as I struggled with a bent bar adjustment screw on a front adjustment saw.

One of our esteemed members contends you shouldn’t hold the tip up and has a YouTube video on it. Personally, I have never had an issue with the practice.

This is my first ever non-sales related discussion in the Trading Post. Maybe a mod will move it.

Ron
Why not hold the tip up fear of cuts? You could put a piece of wood under it to raise it or if on a tailgate or something just tip the saw so the bar presses down and it will rise up. No big deal really.

lw, I usually hold the bar with one hand and turn the screwdriver with the other - like I assume most everybody does. I also usually get my saws ready to go before they hit the truck. If I need two hands with one of my old saws and a chock isn't within arms reach I just flip the saw over. As you said, no big deal.

Ron

Latest posts

Back