Why not much talk about the 455 Rancher on here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem with the 455 is they're generally no better than the guy that's running them. Most tools will perform well if they are run correctly for their intended purpose and given an appropriate amount of maintenance!

Oh yeah - when Husky decided to mass market saws through some of the box stores some years back the 455 was one of the first to be offered. . . kinda ticked off a number of "dealers " hiding out on this site as regular site members and the 455 got a bad rep as they were pxxxed off at Husky.

JMO

Al

It cuts wood. Slowly.
Not much exciting about them to yak about.

Most exciting thing about mine is that despite numerous attempts to kill it, it keeps running with compression dwindling.LOL!!
Just a solid, economical, tool for less than frequent use.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I had one and I treated it like a red headed step child for sure, and I couldn't kill mine either. I sold it on CL for $200 about a month ago. It was slow compared to my Dolmar 5105, but very easy to start, and it always ran well.

I had one and I treated it like a red headed step child for sure, and I couldn't kill mine either. I sold it on CL for $200 about a month ago. It was slow compared to my Dolmar 5105, but very easy to start, and it always ran well.

LOL!!
I have considered selling mine for 100 bucks, as it is down to 135psi now.
Bought it in 07' after losing a 262 and needing a cheap saw quick, to clear 3 acres. It's on it's 5th Bar, third spur drive, second clutch, and all we have done is fuel it. It owes us nothing, LOL!!

The thing gets used for stumps and all the filthy nasty jobs,gets handed to the farm crew when a saw is needed, and as a BIL saw.
The BIL, has a track record of mangling anything mechanical, and the farm crew seems to drop everything or run it over.
They ain't killed the 455 yet, which has saved my other saws a certain death.LOL!!

I figure to keep the thing just for what it is. A Rented Mule.
Ours slid outta the truck the other day at about 25mph in the field. If ya havn't seen it yet, the 455 is made outta flubber. They BOUNCE!! Didn't even have to adjust the chain afterwards, and the guys kept cutting the stuff in the ditchline.

Heavy, slow, overbuilt, and cheap.
When ya think about it, it's about perfect for maintaining huskys Rep. when sold in box stores.
Homeowners abuse the crap out of saws,never clean an air filter, and only care if it starts and runs 3-4 times a year.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

455 is a great saw, you don't hear much about them because they are too busy being used to cut wood with.

455 and MS290 once again the number one saws of the big two...............get used to it and deal with it, any tard can ruin a 455/290 just as quick as a 346/261.

Last edited:
We did a sectional take down of a 20" dbh tulip tree on Monday and once the tree was limbed and most of the mast cut shorter with a top handle, we finished the job with a 455. They are a decent saw and with a sharp chain they cut well. I'll admit that tulip is not the most saw resistant wood out there but it buzzed through it just fine. we had other saws on the truck and I think we used that one cause it was within reach and the 20" bar was adequate.

Ken, if you enjoy working on saws (modding them), then the 455/460 may be just your thing. I've spent some time modding a 450 and have a good idea about what makes them work. There is a heap of potential inside the engine, but it does take a good number of hours of work to realise the potential.

It would really make a neat 'sleeper' work saw at a GTG to bring a modded 460 (with a 455 starter cover!)

I wouldnt buy a 455 because I would buy the 346 instead. The 346 is slightly more expensive but worth it. It is a full pro saw saw with more hp. 346 3.7hp and 455 3.4hp. The 346 would probaly kick the dog turds out of the 455. I never ran a 455. but am very satisfied with my 346

Stihl no love?

So do you think the Stihl 290 is better than the Husqvarna 455 Rancher?

:musical-note:
My Dad's neighbor has one, and he likes it well enough. Sure they have some drawbacks, but for the money they are an option. I feel they are similar to a Stihl MS290. The 290 gets no love around here on AS either.

Bob

Stihl MS290 is on par with the 455 and 460. Approx same power to weight ratios and price. About 13lbs and 3.7 - 3.8 hp. Dealer location / support would be the deciding factor for most.

I still think the Husky is more easily serviced than the Stihl between those two saws, and the Husky is quite a bit narrower. Husky gets the lead if you ask me for those simple reasons. Power and weight differences are negligible, ease of use and ownership for the win.

attachment.php

Now I thought that's what you used the 880 for Hal???

That big old 880 is surely a GTG saw. But boy is it fun!

Hal

Latest posts

Back