Why NOT wear chaps???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, what chics dig are my little pony stickers!:)

Hey, I stock chaps here! They are in the boxes covered with dust!

I see you actually have alterior motives to this thread... figures.

I will answer your question... because i don't farkin' wanna.

Who are you to question the validity of my actions. I gots a couple of scars from saws. One on my left knee, and one on my left hand... No biggee...

"Hey you guys... you are stupid if you don't wear chaps... oh looky here i have a whole bunch in stock... How did that happen?"

Great thread... :censored:

Gary

The climbing versus limbing stuff makes little sense. In a tree, I would imagine you are closer to cutting your chest and face, so chaps would be of no use. On top of that, climbing up a tree in a harness with chaps would be a bear.

I would like to see stats, but it seems falling versus bucking would leave more bucking injuries are you cutting more stuff and moving.

As for stupidity, it is a choice like helmets on bikes and similar. The thing with chaps compared to riding on the road without a helmet is that it is less likely people are going to be taken care of by ambulances if there is an accident.

I choose to wear chaps, I have been saved by chaps. If you don't want to, be careful out there.

I wear chaps...because I would not be able to face my wife looking down at me and the blood and gore if I had a serious saw injury and was not wearing them. Also because, at my age I realize I am no longer tougher than trees. :)

Why I do not like to wear them:
- They are too warm except for the few perfect days in AZ when it is nice and cool and/or snow on the ground, 32 and sunny I like.

- They seem to snag on stuff and cause me to trip more, so I make sure saw is off or CB on when transporting it, and watch for branches and such that may snag me, and pay more attention.

- I do not see cost as an issue at all. I spend a whole lot less on chaps to use while cutting than on Moosehead for when when I am not.:clap:

I see you actually have alterior motives to this thread... figures.

I will answer your question... because i don't farkin' wanna.

Who are you to question the validity of my actions. I gots a couple of scars from saws. One on my left knee, and one on my left hand... No biggee...

"Hey you guys... you are stupid if you don't wear chaps... oh looky here i have a whole bunch in stock... How did that happen?"

Great thread... :censored:

Gary

Sorry, I take it back, I DON'T have chaps! All kidding aside, this thread had nothing to do with me driving up the chap sales in my little hole in the wall store that one in a million AS site visitors will ever visit.

Also, NEVER said anyone was stupid for not wearing chaps, just questioned the logic is all. I'm NOT gonna lie and say I throw a pair on every time I fire up a saw, but I DO own them,(and sell them too, on sale even), and I know the chances I take.

Have a great day:)

I cut firewood for almost 30 years.Until I found this site I never knew what chaps where:monkey: Now I don't cut without them,Stihl hard hat setup and steel toes,always wearing steel toes though.Haven't needed the chaps yet but feel more comfortable with them than without these days.
Russ

You do not have a choice here in europe. whilst using a saw in a commercial setting i.e climber, groundsman or felling in forestry it is law to wear trousers with front protection for ground workers, climbers must have all-round protection. The jacket issue was at one time going to be enforced but at the time it was agreed that the available fabrics were bulky and heat build up was a problem so it is strongly advised to wear jacket with protection. Ground workers must also wear gloves with chainsaw protection and everyone must wear protective boots as well as helmets with visor and muffs. All this would apply if you, as a private person, were to use a chain saw in a public place i.e cutting up a fallen tree on the side of a public road. So to go to work I have to wear -pair of boots 265 euros -pair trousers 240 euros and ok a top range helmet 100+ euros !! that's before I start about all the saftey assesments I need !!!!! So stop before you start complaining -the question was "why not wear chaps ?" because if you do not exercise common sense it will be forced upon you..... I don't mean that you should wear chaps but why not think about it ?

So, why not wear chaps?

Well before I cut wood, I was a mountaineer. The old fella I learned from taught me to always wear a helmet. So guess what, I did, ALWAYS. The moment I start to approach a climb I strap it on. Why? Because my head is softer than any rock that it'll come in contact with, whether I fall on it or it falls on me. I have been hazed some over the years about wearing the gourd bucket because it's not "cool". Later in life I spent a bit of time in search and rescue. Man you should see how "cool" my helmet looks while carrying out a guy on a stretcher who decided not to wear his.

I think it's probably obvious that I also wear chaps EVERY time I cut (along with helmet, face shield, ear protection, gloves, steel toe boots). Am I a dork? Am I hot and sweaty? Is it uncomfortable? Yup, yup, and yup. But, that chain, can cut through my quad like hot knife in butter (and any other part for that matter). I honestly hate getting all geared up some days to just do a bit of cutting, and some days I don't go just because of that reason. In ten years of cutting I haven't had an injury. So, should I stop wearing my gear because I am careful/safe? Yah right, it only take one time to slice that leg to ribbons!

Does PPE make wood cutting 100% safe? Nope. It's just part of the big picture. But I am with you, why not wear chaps?

I am ok being a dork. At least I am a dork with legs! (Chiks dig dorks anyway)

Well I'm not a logger but I too used to not wear chaps. Now since being on this site I own a set and use them and wouldn't consider cutting without them. I am getting older and thou my reflexes are still pretty quick I know accidents can and do happen.

I will answer your question and play devils advocate.

What is more dangerous in terms of having a chainsaw accident, bucking logs and falling or climbing trees and doing removals?

Tree climbing wins hands down. Do those guys wear chaps? No.

Then why should I wear chaps when bucking logs or falling if I wouldn't wear them in a tree?

IMO, a hard hat and safety glasses are the bare minimum. Anything else is for precaution. An icing on the cake type deal.....

whens the last time you saw somebody in a climbing harness cutting below his waiste? apples to oranges

In a lot of industries pros become complacent. Logging in my experience is different. Before i bought my first saw we were having a work day at the gun club, clearing a few trees. One of the guys is a pro and he brought all his machinery. One thing i noticed was that he always wore his ppe, amateur members were wearing none.
I asked him about it and he said a chainsaw is the most dangerous power tool you will own and limbs dont grow back like a lobster. Regardless of how good you think you are, outside factors can cause you to have accidents.
When i bought a saw i bought all the ppe straight off and wear it however small the job.

Ok, why don't most dealers stock chaps? I've been to at least 7 dealers of both major brands this year, and have yet to see a single pair for sale.

I didn't know there was such a thing until I found this site.

I was pleasantly surprised to see two sizes of chaps on the wall above the saws at the John Deere dealer this weekend, right next to the chains.

My Dolmar dealer will order them for you, but he doesn't push them, you have to ask about them. When I asked, he said "Are you related to (my cousin who shares my last name)? He bought a set two years ago".

whens the last time you saw somebody in a climbing harness cutting below his waiste? apples to oranges

I worked with a tree company this past summer. The climbers do stuff you guys would sh!t your pants if you saw the stuff they do. They saw with one hand too, don't wear chaps either. Better call OSHA I guess.

Are you trying to say you there is more risk of kick back while bucking than trimming in a tree, because if you are, you are dead wrong.

Like everyone continues to say, they never heard of chaps before coming here. It is not a life or death situation, it is personal choice whether to wear them or not. Do go neo-nazi on someone if they don't use them.

Kinda funny when the dealer who started the thread doesn't even have any in stock or push them on his customers.

Last edited:
had my chaps on luckily, was warming up the 7900 as it's -30 celcius here and the chain broke on the top came around and struck me in da junk. got lucky and got caught up in the legs and slowed the chain down still hurt but no bleeding. shoulda checked the chain had it pinched in a 36" jack pine and had to rescue with the 670. o well got lucky, will have to be more observant next time.

What is more dangerous in terms of having a chainsaw accident, bucking logs and falling or climbing trees and doing removals?

Tree climbing wins hands down. Do those guys wear chaps?. No

Until you have witnessed or done full manufacture production falling, you can't make this assumption.

Until you have witnessed or done full manufacture production falling, you can't make this assumption.

I do understand that kind of falling is really dangerous, but I was implying more about the chainsaw hurting the operator. I imagine loggers are more worried about the trees twisting and having stuff fall from up above.

Experts are called experts for a reason. They have the skills which reduce the chances of an accident, but as Brad said, it is called an accident for a reason and no one is untouchable.

I just feel people get a little tense and hostile about PPE sometimes. I am not against it in anyway, just name calling comes out quickly and we don't need twenty people telling someone to get some chaps.

I am on board for chaps. I had not known of them till I came to this site. I usually cut alone and in remote areas. Have been wearing a hard hat, ear muffs and face shield. Now will have chaps. Had just looked on EBay a few days ago and also notice one of the sponsors has a nice pair of dark ones.

You know i think they should be stocked with saws.and i think they should be
offered when you buy a saw .My dealer for stihl has 2 full time mechanics
and does a heck of a saw business but you dont see chaps in the store.
its to each his own but i think its a very good idea.chaps are cheap compared
to the clothes we have to wear to race and there is no option you put it on
or you dont race and it has to be re certified every couple years.:givebeer:
oh wait i have one:clap:

You know i think they should be stocked with saws.and i think they should be
offered when you buy a saw .My dealer for stihl has 2 full time mechanics
and does a heck of a saw business but you dont see chaps in the store.
its to each his own but i think its a very good idea.chaps are cheap compared
to the clothes we have to wear to race and there is no option you put it on
or you dont race and it has to be re certified every couple years.:givebeer:
oh wait i have one:clap:

I hear ya on that. Yo would think saw shops could sell chaps like hot cakes if they explained it to people.

Latest posts

Back