Why NOT wear chaps???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason for wearing PPE is not because you may be of lesser skill. It's because accidents, by definition, occur regardless of skill.

IMO, even with proper training, preparation, and experience, the cost of having an accident while not wearing chaps and other PPE is too high. Granted, some OHSA regs are overbearing, but not all of them.

I work in heavy industrial construction and I have seen so much nit picking, safety BS pushed down workers and contractors throats I'm sick of it.

I think all who wear there chaps are just fine by me. Just don't tell me what to do.

Holding something while they are cutting it?

I had to learn the hard way why you don't remove your left hand from the front handle without at least setting the brake. Let me tell you why I own chaps.

Clearing saplings, little stuff, 2-3" diameter with the Husky 36. I was slashing through them like a scythe, then I came to one that was growing against something I didn't want to cut. Instead of putting the saw down and moving the something out of the way, I just cut that tree slowly. So of course it sat down on the bar and pinched.

Now comes the really stupid part. With the saw idling, I quickly grabbed the tree with my left hand and pushed it back. So the saw drops free, and I'm holding it by the back handle, so it's swinging down towards my leg. Reflexively, I tightened my grip on the saw and tried to torque it up away from my leg.

Now I've got a death grip on the saw that's swinging towards my leg, and the chain is accelerating like mad, because the finger that's gripping the tightest has a throttle under it. I one handed the saw's descent to a halt about 2" from my knee, the engine probably turning 13,000 rpm. Then I set the brake, shut the saw off, and never started a saw again until my 10 layer Labonville chaps arrived. If that had been a slightly larger saw, like my PS-510, that one thoughtless act would have resulted in a lot of pain, blood loss, and hospital bills.

I wear earplugs. I don't wear eye protection because it fogs, but I probably should. If I am working on a dead tree I have somebody watch for a falling limb. A hard hat is not much protection from a 100 pound falling limb from 60+ feet. If you let a chain cut you it's because you have done something stupid. Chaps are no substitute for discipline.

I wear earplugs too. On the safety glasses fogging check out Baileys they have screen mesh glasses/goggles. Been meaning to pick up a pair for those hot days-just like the chaps. Just haven't got around to it yet. I sometimes cut alone too. I wonder if the guys wearing all the safety gear get a false sense of security. How about steel toe boots. I was walking a log and limbing-close to my toes. 35+ years cutting and I walked the nose right across the toe. Cut a nice groove down to the steel. Glad I had those steel toes on that day.

well i cant stand wearing chaps but a nasty leg cut last october and a $900.00 hospital bill changed my mind a bit. But still dont wear them all time.

wear earplugs too. On the safety glasses fogging check out Baileys they have screen mesh glasses/goggles. Been meaning to pick up a pair for those hot days-just like the chaps. Just haven't got around to it yet. I sometimes cut alone too. I wonder if the guys wearing all the safety gear get a false sense of security. How about steel toe boots. I was walking a log and limbing-close to my toes. 35+ years cutting and I walked the nose right across the toe. Cut a nice groove down to the steel. Glad I had those steel toes on that day.

I can't say that any of it was a bad idea. But hell, I was 30 years old before I had a saw with a chain brake. The only chaps I ever saw were in a catalog and I thought the guy looked a little silly. Maybe not. I have a problem getting in to any new habits.

Most cuts to the left hand or arm are caused by one handing a top handle chainsaw

Where I am there are no rules. I am known as Ms. safety overkill...but safety will never kill me! Heat is the #1 reason given for not wearing PPE, but heat is managable with the work plan and good hydration.

But because of my Uk training,I always wear chainsaw protective boots and helmet system. As for chaps/pants, I use them more when I'm on the ground than when in a tree. I reckon there is more chance of cutting my legs or feet on the ground than in a tree. When climbing, work position is such that legs and feet are out of the firing line when the cut is made. I always use chainsaw pants for a takedown though. I prefer the European style pants, the newer ones are made of stretchy breathable fabrics, much more comfortable and less 'snaggy' than chaps.

Good point though, when doing a takedown often the saw is in line with my chest or belly, and there is no requirement to wear protective equipment for that region. Instead we are taught about the potential for disaster and the correct technique to mitigate it and always keep two hands on the saw!! The statistics do show however that cuts to the abdomen are rare in comparison to lower legs, feet and left hand.

My motto is to go home at the end of the day with all my body parts intact and all my blood INSIDE my body!:cheers: :cheers:

bermie,
you are a lady?
always wondered about you logger-girls/chainsaw-girls!
mind posting a pic of yourself?:)

You know, the fact that it was only five minutes between the time that bermie revealed her gender and the time she was asked for pics of herself might be one of the reasons that not many ladies post on this site.

You know, the fact that it was only five minutes between the time that bermie revealed her gender and the time she was asked for pics of herself might be one of the reasons that not many ladies post on this site.

plenty of ladies post on this site. not many reveal their gender is all. i ask every lady i come across on AS. it is out of curiosity. nothing more.
btw, my pics are free for all to view because i believe in equal opportunity pic viewing. mine are buried in the ugly mug thread, among other places. and my youtube link is free for all to view @ http://www.youtube.com/user/volksmanhiking .
i mean no offense. :)

Last edited:
thats the thing about chaps and hardhats, they arent meant to be accident preventers or even stoppers just helpers. it says right on the chaps, " not represented as a shield against damage, but as an aid to help prevent more severe damage in extreme cases" its like a seatbelt, its not going to save you if you pile your car off of a cliff, but its going to stop you from going out the windshield when you hit a tree and potentially save your life. the hardhat wont save you if a tree lands on you, but if a stick falls out of the tree and lands on your head the hardhat is going to deflect some of the damage, so instead of a smashed head you get a smashed hardhat. I would also add that everyone who runs a chainsaw should atleast have earplugs and eye pro though. You cant replace hearing and eyesight. i know a few guys who you have to scream at from 3 feet away because they are nearly deaf from running a chainsaw with no ear pro. and it only takes one stick or chunk of wood traveling in the right direction to make you go blind.

on topic $.02

on topic:
i wear chaps most of the time.
i wear a husky helmet-face-guard-muff monstosity sometimes.
i wear steel toes most of the time.
i wear gloves almost all of the time.

no chaps or helmet when cutting in the back yard. slow-paced, non cluttered, controlled environment.

always chaps in the woods. walking on trees, bad footing, ect.

helmet in woods always when felling, not so much during bucking.

steel toes and gloves always except when its just 1 or 2 cuts in the yard.

Last edited:
Wife

No, I didn't search to see if this thread exists. It's a safety thing, so if it is being dredged up again, so what.

I'm just looking for the reason people don't or won't wear them? From what I see, a lot of it comes down to cost? I am always asked what they cost. I have a few answers for that, a few I'm sure you have all heard. Less than a hospital visit, right? How about less than a pair of jeans that a teenage girl would be willing to wear to school, and they buy them already ripped!

I know for some it is a comfort issue, or in the summer a heat issue. Maybe some never even thought about it, or no one suggested that they should have them?

I think a lot of people just think that they aren't a pro, and don't cut that much, so shouldn't need them............ To me, that just says they need them even more!

Before I made my first cut in the field with a chainsaw. I got off my a$$, went to local shop and bought a pair of nine layer chaps. I rarely cut by myself, but where I do its pretty far from medical help. I always wear a chainsaw safety helmet, chaps, and heavy duty gloves when cutting. In hot weather just wear light cotton pants under my chaps and keep cold water by me when I am cutting. I am cheap and its cheaper to f##k up safety chaps then goto the doc's office! Plus I want to get home to my wife after cutting wood. A nice massage does Mikey good! :monkey: :cheers:

Let me break it down to you guys this way. Do you think a tin, aluminum or plastic hardhat is really gonna save your life when a massive accident occurrs? Hell no, not even close. So put chaps in the same conversation. They will deflect and/or absorb some of or all of a minor inmpact. They will not stop a biggie. I understand why guys don't wear them, it's a personal choice. My Dad says no way too Gary. He's been cutting timber for 35+ years with a bad wrist cut, that's it.
I wear them because: I like the extra protection, protection from brush and sticks, and the ability to not wear tin pants with chaps, even in a down pour. The tops of your legs stay pretty dry. Good enough for me, I like to be able to move. I cut in rain/snow/sleet/whatever in OR & WA.

Nice post Burvol.
I have almost been cut many times because the outside chaps, straps, hung up on something while my momentum was moving the opposite direction.
PPE, as far as I am concerned is a choice, I wear most of.
It cracks me up, (Gary's PPE Nazi's) preach and preach and preach, when their PPE is their compensation for lack of knowledge and crappy dull chains, pushing, and pushing.
I had a comment on running the 880, turning over 14K, "Yeah, but he is not wearing chaps,"
Yeah, that would save me...LOL.

Let me break it down to you guys this way. Do you think a tin, aluminum or plastic hardhat is really gonna save your life when a massive accident occurrs? Hell no, not even close. So put chaps in the same conversation. They will deflect and/or absorb some of or all of a minor inmpact. They will not stop a biggie. I understand why guys don't wear them, it's a personal choice. My Dad says no way too Gary. He's been cutting timber for 35+ years with a bad wrist cut, that's it.
I wear them because: I like the extra protection, protection from brush and sticks, and the ability to not wear tin pants with chaps, even in a down pour. The tops of your legs stay pretty dry. Good enough for me, I like to be able to move. I cut in rain/snow/sleet/whatever in OR & WA.

Nice post Burvol.
I have almost been cut many times because the outside chaps, straps, hung up on something while my momentum was moving the opposite direction.
PPE, as far as I am concerned is a choice, I wear most of.
It cracks me up, (Gary's PPE Nazi's) preach and preach and preach, when their PPE is their compensation for lack of knowledge and crappy dull chains, pushing, and pushing.
I had a comment on running the 880, turning over 14K, "Yeah, but he is not wearing chaps,"
Yeah, that would save me...LOL.

Good posts from guys that "get it"...

Gary

Back