Why NOT wear chaps???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do understand that kind of falling is really dangerous, but I was implying more about the chainsaw hurting the operator. I imagine loggers are more worried about the trees twisting and having stuff fall from up above.

Experts are called experts for a reason. They have the skills which reduce the chances of an accident, but as Brad said, it is called an accident for a reason and no one is untouchable.

I just feel people get a little tense and hostile about PPE sometimes. I am not against it in anyway, just name calling comes out quickly and we don't need twenty people telling someone to get some chaps.

Limbing is where things get complicated, conifers, while limbing while walking a tree.
I wear all my gear at work, but cutting firewood usually glasses, ear plugs, hardhat if falling, but never chaps.

So to go to work I have to wear -pair of boots 265 euros -pair trousers 240 euros and ok a top range helmet 100+ euros !!

Got pictures or links to that fancy big dollar (about 1.5 times your euro) ?

I own ,
2 pair chainsaw boots
3 pair chainsaw pants (could be used for climbing )
1 pair chaps
2 helmet/muff/visor
I use them all .

:cheers:

In my opinion I think ignorance, cost, and dealers are the main reason people don't use them, in that order.
Ignorance - people think 'I'm careful, it won't happen to me'.
Cost - for what I paid for my PPE I'd be 1/3 of the way to a my next saw.
Dealers - I only have 2 dealers local. One had one pair of black chaps, and didn't seem bothered about selling any. The other had Stihl, Echo, and Elvex chaps. They came out and opened every brand and style and let me try them on. When they realized they didn't have my length, he went over and made a note to order a pair for the next delivery, regardless of whether I was going to buy them or not (which I did end up doing).
I'm sure comfort, people thinking PPE isn't 'manly', and others factor in, but the main reason I bought my chaps is because I wanna farkin' make sure I go home to my family.

I wear earplugs. I don't wear eye protection because it fogs, but I probably should. If I am working on a dead tree I have somebody watch for a falling limb. A hard hat is not much protection from a 100 pound falling limb from 60+ feet. If you let a chain cut you it's because you have done something stupid. Chaps are no substitute for discipline.

In my opinion I think ignorance, cost, and dealers are the main reason people don't use them, in that order.
Ignorance - people think 'I'm careful, it won't happen to me'.
Cost - for what I paid for my PPE I'd be 1/3 of the way to a my next saw.
Dealers - I only have 2 dealers local. One had one pair of black chaps, and didn't seem bothered about selling any. The other had Stihl, Echo, and Elvex chaps. They came out and opened every brand and style and let me try them on. When they realized they didn't have my length, he went over and made a note to order a pair for the next delivery, regardless of whether I was going to buy them or not (which I did end up doing).
I'm sure comfort, people thinking PPE isn't 'manly', and others factor in, but the main reason I bought my chaps is because I wanna farkin' make sure I go home to my family.

The `manly` thing runs true. My mate who has a farm runs an 039 farmboss and has done all the training, said ppe is for poofs when i said i`d bought all the gear, but when he repeated it while we were sat plucking chickens and his wife heard she said` you`ve got some. Where is it?`

`Gave it to your brother`

`Well you can damn well get it back or buy some more.You`ve got a family you idiot. You`re not to run that saw untill you do.`

Ooops:)

I see you actually have alterior motives to this thread... figures.

I will answer your question... because i don't farkin' wanna.

Who are you to question the validity of my actions. I gots a couple of scars from saws. One on my left knee, and one on my left hand... No biggee...

"Hey you guys... you are stupid if you don't wear chaps... oh looky here i have a whole bunch in stock... How did that happen?"

Great thread... :censored:

Gary

Well if that dont just chap my a$$.:jawdrop:

I wear labonville inside the pants pads http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=127&idproduct=19 Labonvill sells pants and Madsens sells modified jeans for these nice no dangley straps to catch on anything. Dangling straps something I dont like and in brush and steep hills straps are a pain these eliminate that problem. I were em guess 75% of the time.

Limbing is where things get complicated, conifers, while limbing while walking a tree.
I wear all my gear at work, but cutting firewood usually glasses, ear plugs, hardhat if falling, but never chaps.

I hear ya. Around here for most logging companies, once the branches start, that is it for that log. Lots and lots of waste. But after watching Ax-men, it looks like you west coast guys have quite a bit too when clear cutting.

I imagine you wear those boots with the small metal spikes/studs. I bet that helps a lot with grip, but moss is never grippy.

A hard hat is not much protection from a 100 pound falling limb from 60+ feet. If you let a chain cut you it's because you have done something stupid. Chaps are no substitute for discipline.

i dont agree at all, first off a hard hat is definatly a better substitute for getting smashed in the head with things, im not saying that it would save you in that situation but it might, its better than certain death.
Plus go ahead and tell that to all the loggers who have had ACCIDENTS! that they were stupid for getting cut, im sorry but things happen, the ground is slippery its easy to fall on ice while liming and hit yourself. The woods are a funny place where all numbers of things can happen that you cant foresee or ever know about. What really gets me angry is not that people dont wear chaps, i respect your decisions, if thats what you want to do go ahead do it. But its when people try to explain things to them, tell them that hey wearing chaps is a better alternative to, oh i dont know, dying, and then they get mad at you for trying to help them out. I guess im just going to wear my chaps and atleast give myself that extra little chance.
BTW i dont think that us "safety Nazis" think our way is best all the time, but looking at the facts i think more people have been saved by chaps than a pair of jeans.

dont agree at all, first off a hard hat is definatly a better substitute for getting smashed in the head with things, im not saying that it would save you in that situation but it might, its better than certain death.
Plus go ahead and tell that to all the loggers who have had ACCIDENTS! that they were stupid for getting cut, im sorry but things happen, the ground is slippery its easy to fall on ice while liming and hit yourself. The woods are a funny place where all numbers of things can happen that you cant foresee or ever know about. What really gets me angry is not that people dont wear chaps, i respect your decisions, if thats what you want to do go ahead do it. But its when people try to explain things to them, tell them that hey wearing chaps is a better alternative to, oh i dont know, dying, and then they get mad at you for trying to help them out. I guess im just going to wear my chaps and atleast give myself that extra little chance.
BTW i dont think that us "safety Nazis" think our way is best all the time, but looking at the facts i think more people have been saved by chaps than a pair of jeans.

Hey, if it you want to wear them it suits me. The man asked the question is all. Did you want me to lie about it.

Let me break it down to you guys this way. Do you think a tin, aluminum or plastic hardhat is really gonna save your life when a massive accident occurrs? Hell no, not even close. So put chaps in the same conversation. They will deflect and/or absorb some of or all of a minor inmpact. They will not stop a biggie. I understand why guys don't wear them, it's a personal choice. My Dad says no way too Gary. He's been cutting timber for 35+ years with a bad wrist cut, that's it.
I wear them because: I like the extra protection, protection from brush and sticks, and the ability to not wear tin pants with chaps, even in a down pour. The tops of your legs stay pretty dry. Good enough for me, I like to be able to move. I cut in rain/snow/sleet/whatever in OR & WA.

i dont agree at all, first off a hard hat is definatly a better substitute for getting smashed in the head with things, im not saying that it would save you in that situation but it might, its better than certain death.

We wear calks on the West Coast Mang!

FFS WHO CARES!!!

You safety nazi's always think your way is best...

Gary

Well, we only think it's best when we can turn AS into a profit center without being an AS sponcer:)

Chaps here, get your genuine Stihl chaps here!

Now I don't care WHO you are, that's funny:)

Latest posts

Back