Why NOT wear chaps???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl only

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
No, I didn't search to see if this thread exists. It's a safety thing, so if it is being dredged up again, so what.

I'm just looking for the reason people don't or won't wear them? From what I see, a lot of it comes down to cost? I am always asked what they cost. I have a few answers for that, a few I'm sure you have all heard. Less than a hospital visit, right? How about less than a pair of jeans that a teenage girl would be willing to wear to school, and they buy them already ripped!

I know for some it is a comfort issue, or in the summer a heat issue. Maybe some never even thought about it, or no one suggested that they should have them?

I think a lot of people just think that they aren't a pro, and don't cut that much, so shouldn't need them............ To me, that just says they need them even more!

Last edited:
+1 reason i wear my chaps are after seeing some of the videos posted on here of what damage a chain can do they actually rip a tear more than just cut into the skin and muscle how can one fully recover from such damage? I never wore any ppe before I joined this site Arborsite truly is a good influence . :cheers:

Well I have to admit that I finally broke down and bought my first pair this spring. Since I only cut 5-6 cords of wood per year, I didn't really think I was using a saw enough to justify buying a pair. I now wear them everytime I'm out cutting and I actually prefer to have them on versus just my jeans. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

99% of the time I cut/haul wood alone and can't afford to be getting hurt out in the bush. If I can't make it out under my own steam - then I don't make it out period.

I'm looking to buy a pair soon and was wondering how come you hear so much talk of chaps/pants and so little talk of jackets? It seems to me that if a kickback happens when I'm bucking firewood it's more likely to hit my upper body than my legs?

I wear mine every time I cut now summer or winter I dont care what anybody thinks, fact they are draped over my saws behind the seat of my pickup right this moment.

I have cut my left knee to the bone twice and had a near miss on my left upper thigh and I am not at all clumsy either it aint worth it in my book not using them!

Kansas

I will answer your question and play devils advocate.

What is more dangerous in terms of having a chainsaw accident, bucking logs and falling or climbing trees and doing removals?

Tree climbing wins hands down. Do those guys wear chaps? No.

Then why should I wear chaps when bucking logs or falling if I wouldn't wear them in a tree?

IMO, a hard hat and safety glasses are the bare minimum. Anything else is for precaution. An icing on the cake type deal.....

i never wore em till i did some reading and video watching from here. this summer i sawed into my thigh. damn good thing i had the chaps on! it didnt ev even cut my jeans. on my 2nd pair now and i never cut without them. i also use a helmet ear muff combo now too, i really like it its very comfortable.

Why wear chaps?

Because I've had three pairs of jeans with holes where they were cut by my chain. Thankfully it was just sharp chain with no speed involved or I might not be writing this, as they were always over my femoral artery. For the first two I didn't know chaps existed. My bad on the last time. Now I have chaps.

I will answer your question and play devils advocate.

What is more dangerous in terms of having a chainsaw accident, bucking logs and falling or climbing trees and doing removals?

Tree climbing wins hands down. Do those guys wear chaps? No.

Then why should I wear chaps when bucking logs or falling if I wouldn't wear them in a tree?

IMO, a hard hat and safety glasses are the bare minimum. Anything else is for precaution. An icing on the cake type deal.....

The dangers of trying to climb while wearing chaps are worse than the dangers of getting cut while limbing. Chances are the ground guys on the crew have chaps.

I never owned a pair of chaps myself till this year and have been cutting 40 plus years and I mean lots of cutting, firewood, fence posts and tree work. Out of this time only 2 minor incidents.
I agree tree climbing work is the most dangerous but where I have had my close calls is limbing, once cut my jeans and caught a little skin in my thigh and once had a kick back an ruined a new pair of boots.
As you get older you start to get a bit clumsy and reflexes slow down even though most of us won't admit.
Chaps are a cheap insurance policy for what they cost and I decided to start wearing them. I also bought a pair for my son and son-in-law for Christmas and they both turned 40 this year.
A good friend of mine was cutting a big veneer cherry 2 years ago and a dead limb came down and hit him just right in the back. Paralzyed fro the chest down, and he had a hard hat on. I always checked up, but do it a lot more now.
So even when you are doing things right, bad things can happen. You can't go wrong wearing any safety gear.

Because chicks dig scars.

Ok, why don't most dealers stock chaps? I've been to at least 7 dealers of both major brands this year, and have yet to see a single pair for sale. The only ones I saw were a demo pair with a big cut through them at a Husky dealer who had none for sale. Maybe you guys hide them in back, but I would think that you should have them up front for the easy add-on sales.

Try buying a set of brakes at an auto parts store. Any savvy parts guy will try to sell you a quart of brake fluid, some slide grease, a couple shop rags, and some hand cleaner, all of which should be at the counter, or at least within easy reach.

What sort of an argument is this?
Sounds a bit like, "Hey Judge, I don't wear pants in bed so why should I wear them on the street?"

And as for this.
It seems to me that if a kickback happens when I'm bucking firewood it's more likely to hit my upper body than my legs?

Try these Facts and Figures about Chainsaw Injuries
  1. According to the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission there were over 28,500 chain saw injuries in 1999. More than 36% were injuries to the legs and knees.
  2. The average chainsaw injury requires 110 stitches and the average medical cost alone was $ 5,600 in 1989. Data according to The Davis Garvin Agency, an insurance underwriter specializing in loggers insurance. In year 2000 corresponding costs can be estimated to be over $12,000 for each injury.
  3. Medical costs for chainsaw injuries based on these facts amount to about 350 million dollars per year.
  4. Workman's compensation costs, based on the assumption that four weeks recovery is required, can be estimated at 125 million dollars annually.
  5. Loss of production as well as loss of quality of life for the injured can not be adequately quantified, but may in fact represent the single largest cost.
  6. There are 69,000 professional loggers in the U.S.. The cost of equipping all of them with one pair of chainsaw chaps at approximately $75.00 each would result in a total annual expense of five million dollars.
  7. There are few situations where safety has a more immediate payback than using chaps in the logging industry.
attachment.php

Because chicks dig scars.

Ok, why don't most dealers stock chaps? I've been to at least 7 dealers of both major brands this year, and have yet to see a single pair for sale. The only ones I saw were a demo pair with a big cut through them at a Husky dealer who had none for sale. Maybe you guys hide them in back, but I would think that you should have them up front for the easy add-on sales.

Try buying a set of brakes at an auto parts store. Any savvy parts guy will try to sell you a quart of brake fluid, some slide grease, a couple shop rags, and some hand cleaner, all of which should be at the counter, or at least within easy reach.

No, what chics dig are my little pony stickers!:)

Hey, I stock chaps here! They are in the boxes covered with dust!

Nice graphic, left hand has some high numbers.. I'm curious why?

Foot numbers are lower than I would have imagined

Last edited:
Nice graphic, left hand has some high numbers.. I'm curious why?

Saw kicks back, you instinctively stick your left hand up to keep it from hitting you in the face. There are some chainsaw protective gloves that actually strap your hand to the handlebar to prevent that and keep the chainbrake actuating the way it should.

Latest posts

Back