why the kombi system?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
while looking in my new stihl catalog I found on page71 "interchangeable gearboxes". it looks like all the tools used in the kombi system are available for any trimmer fs90 and up. no prices listed and I can't find anything listed on stihl website about the "interchangeable gearboxes".
if the prices are the same or even less why have the kombi system?
anybody have any price info on the gearboxes or any experience with them?
I was going to get the fs55 but may go with the fs90 if I could later down the road if or when needed, add a hedge trimmer and a pole saw to the fs90.
comments? advice?

The Kombi is "quick change" - one knob and 10 seconds; you can also add extensions. The FS units are fixed length, and require you to undo the gearbox on the end with a torx wrench.

If you ever want to carry the unit in car, you'll soon understand why the Kombi is nice.

You pay and initial $40-60 extra for the Kombi system.

I, too, am interested in the Kombi system. Andy, have you used one as a string trimmer? I will mainly be using one for string trimming, and will likely get the pole saw and edging attachments.

Seems like a really cool machine, any feedback on these attachments?

use it? lolol.... yep...

I have the blade, "string" head, pole pruner, hedge trimmer and two extensions. Broom, power scythe and blower are next.

The attachments are "pro-quality"...

Last edited:
I have the KM130 and Km90, trimmer attachment, saw attachment, hedge trimmer attachment, curved edger attachment, 3 ft extension and now the new blower attachment.
Awesome machine.

I saw a cut-away of the blower attachment when i was in virginia. That thing is insane! It looks like a turbine engine or something. And i was shocked on how light it is.

I have an old FS200

will the chain saw fit onto it somehow? It has been a good trimmer minus the fact that the starter paws seem to grow every winter and not engage worth a crap til I liberally clean and sillycone em

hey just mow,
will you tell me the cost of each of the different heads?
thanks jpf

oops, just realized you were talking about the kombi and not the fs model thanks anyway for the response.
jpf

Last edited:
hey just mow,
will you tell me the cost of each of the different heads?
thanks jpf

Saw/ 199.99
Edger/ 79.99
Trimmer/ 99.99
Hedge Trimmer/ 159.99 I think
Blower/ 129.99
3ft extension/ 54.99

use it? lolol.... yep...

I have the blade, "string" head, pole pruner, hedge trimmer and two extensions. Broom, power scythe and blower are next.

The attachments are "pro-quality"...

What's the difference between the hedge trimmer and the power scythe?

I have a KM55R with just the pole saw but it gets a lot of duty trimming brush and briars (anbd branches) for trail maintenance. I've thought about the hedge trimmer (or power scythe) but the saw works well and I don't have to fiddle with carrying more stuff on the trail and changing it around.

Ken

The Kombi is "quick change" - one knob and 10 seconds; you can also add extensions. The FS units are fixed length, and require you to undo the gearbox on the end with a torx wrench.

If you ever want to carry the unit in car, you'll soon understand why the Kombi is nice.

You pay and initial $40-60 extra for the Kombi system.

Yup yup, on the money as usual. The Kombi has really taken off this year. With the new blower attachment it can pretty well do it all now.

Last edited:
Our kombi sales are mainly to commercial users, instead of maintaining 6 powerheads they only have two to maintain. And they like having a full supply of equipment for a fraction of buying the whole unit.

Thanks for the info, the Kombi system sounds like an affordable way to do large-scale landscaping. Glad to hear that it is quality stuff, may look into one myself soon.

What's the difference between the hedge trimmer and the power scythe?

I have a KM55R with just the pole saw but it gets a lot of duty trimming brush and briars (anbd branches) for trail maintenance. I've thought about the hedge trimmer (or power scythe) but the saw works well and I don't have to fiddle with carrying more stuff on the trail and changing it around.

Ken

The scythe is shorter (about 12 inchers long) and strengthened beneath. The Hedgetrimmer is too long in tangles of brush - gets jambed easily and too much to cut. Think of it like a long bar on a small saw problem...

Last edited:
will the chain saw fit onto it somehow? It has been a good trimmer minus the fact that the starter paws seem to grow every winter and not engage worth a crap til I liberally clean and sillycone em

Hey Eric, I am not sure about the shaft size but I think the FS 200 is the same as all the rest of the current trimmers and attachments. You can by an HT pole saw end without any Kombi tubes and it will fit in place of the trimmer gearhead. just loosen the 2 torx screws and be sure to get the shaft to line up. All of the Kombi attachments are just on a short shaft, and most of them will come off and go on a regular line trimmer shaft. Just be carefull and feel out your dealer to be sure it will work and is approved. The cutting tools catalog tells what can go on what. For instance, don't put a brushcutter blade or pole pruner on a trimmer that has an X in the model name, like a FS 100 RX. X means the unit has a light weight drive shaft and it might not handle the load.
And I too have run most all of the Kombi attachments and it is a nice system.
As Lake mentioned, the power scythe is like a short hedge trimmer, and I use it to trim the edge of the pond so I can cut the reeds and stuff flush with the water without slinging water everywhere. It also works great for under the fence. I have used the KW power sweep to move mulch, and it works great but will wear you out.
The new blower on a KM 130 will blow just about as good as the BR 420 two-stroke back pack.
The only downside to a KM setup is a little extra weight but since I don't tote it around all day I can live with that.

Thanks I will see my dealer

Hey Eric, I am not sure about the shaft size but I think the FS 200 is the same as all the rest of the current trimmers and attachments. You can by an HT pole saw end without any Kombi tubes and it will fit in place of the trimmer gearhead. just loosen the 2 torx screws and be sure to get the shaft to line up. All of the Kombi attachments are just on a short shaft, and most of them will come off and go on a regular line trimmer shaft. Just be carefull and feel out your dealer to be sure it will work and is approved. The cutting tools catalog tells what can go on what. For instance, don't put a brushcutter blade or pole pruner on a trimmer that has an X in the model name, like a FS 100 RX. X means the unit has a light weight drive shaft and it might not handle the load.
And I too have run most all of the Kombi attachments and it is a nice system.
As Lake mentioned, the power scythe is like a short hedge trimmer, and I use it to trim the edge of the pond so I can cut the reeds and stuff flush with the water without slinging water everywhere. It also works great for under the fence. I have used the KW power sweep to move mulch, and it works great but will wear you out.
The new blower on a KM 130 will blow just about as good as the BR 420 two-stroke back pack.
The only downside to a KM setup is a little extra weight but since I don't tote it around all day I can live with that.

But today I just dropped some serious dough on some new Cordless Dewalt tools.. Bought a six piece combo and a radio/charger and a 2 gallon shop vac.
I used a 20% off Lowes ad at Home depot.Home depot knocked 50% off of the radio and 20% off of everything else. I saved over 250 on the total purchase.

Saw/ 199.99
Edger/ 79.99
Trimmer/ 99.99
Hedge Trimmer/ 159.99 I think
Blower/ 129.99
3ft extension/ 54.99

Just today I spent a while looking at this same system. The dealer printed me out a list of attachments, so I 'll fill in the blanks.

Brush Attachment 79.99
Articulating hedge trimmer 239.99
Cultivator 179.99
Sweeper 329.99
Scythe 239.99

Of course there may be some regional variations.....

I noticed the 130 is not much more weight or money than the 110, but has quite a bit more power.

Just today I spent a while looking at this same system. The dealer printed me out a list of attachments, so I 'll fill in the blanks.

Brush Attachment 79.99
Articulating hedge trimmer 239.99
Cultivator 179.99
Sweeper 329.99
Scythe 239.99

Of course there may be some regional variations.....

I noticed the 130 is not much more weight or money than the 110, but has quite a bit more power.

40% more power

the power scythe is like a short hedge trimmer, and I use it to trim the edge of the pond so I can cut the reeds and stuff flush with the water without slinging water everywhere. It also works great for under the fence.

"Under the fence" caught my attention. You feel it's better than the string trimmer? Why?

Ken

I have had Kombi tools ince the beginning and am completely satisfied with them. Just last night I used the timmer and straight shaft edger. Other tools get used as needed. With the garden in now I'll use the cultivator. The blower works great and the pole saw attachment is easier to handle than the HT131 for most jobs. When I really need to stretch it out I'll use the 131

Great tools.

Bob

Latest posts

Back