Why these trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, i found these two residual trees a few years ago in a stand of second or third growth doug fir. They are about 300 ft from each other. They are pretty massive, one over 6 feet DBH, and I have always wondered why the loggers left them. They are on BLM or maybe private land, they aren't on steep ground or anything. Any ideas anyone? THe only thing I could think of was that they have a bunch of widow makers in em, obviously. But i dont think that would stop too many cutters.

They could be "mast" trees. On some clear cuts where natural regeneration is the goal as opposed to replanting, mast trees are left to "seed" the cleared areas. A couple of trees can cover a wide area with the assistance of weather and wildlife.

Just look at the limbs on them, they weren't worth cutting down. You'd be lucky to get a butt log out of them and leave the rest on the block.

They would sometimes be called Wolf trees in Oregon/Western US, cause of their limbs.
In the 30's or there-a-abouts, what amounted to the forest practices act of that time said that loggers were to leave one seed tree/2 acres. Oftentimes this was a Wolf tree that got left.
Although those limbs would sell as lumber today.

You would think that they would want to leave the *best* tree to spread its seeds...

smokechase II said:
They would sometimes be called Wolf trees in Oregon/Western US, cause of their limbs.
In the 30's or there-a-abouts, what amounted to the forest practices act of that time said that loggers were to leave one seed tree/2 acres. Oftentimes this was a Wolf tree that got left.
Although those limbs would sell as lumber today.

My dad used that term, i haven't heard it in a few years. Once at a trade show some educated tree guy, kind of chuckled when i called a big multi stemmed tree a "wolf". I got sore and always think of that when i hear or think of the term.

Is it still a common phrase in your part of the country smokechase? Or is it more historical?

Just by looking at the pictures they were left because they are "Cull", they are not seed trees, nor are they left because they are anything special. They are no good. They more than likley have "Conks" growing on the outside of the bark which is a good sign. If you were to look really close you may even have seen where they had been bored into and when rotted chips came out that was all that had to been seen. And if you think about it, third generation trees are not that old, there is a lot of moisture in this area. I have cut 3 foot diameter trees that were only around 50 years old in that same type of climate.
Tree Sling'r.

I have heard that the xylem (heartwood) in doug firs start to rot out when they are old and make them especially prone to falling over. I try to remove any old doug fir on my property before they fall over and block my roads. Those trees are probably cull since their heartwood has rotted out and are just there for nature to use :) if you go back to that spot, bring along an increment borer and take a core sample to see whats going on inside... 6 foot DBH is really big though :)

"Wolf" term

Loggers in this area just use the term to mean a tree that stands by itself, often growing much wider, larger and faster than if it had been in heavier growth where it would have grown straight up.

For whatever it's worth....

Back