Tree Spirits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My house is 160 years old - sometimes I look at the beams in the cellar - full logs, some with bark on (and one with a big scorch mark - not sure I want to know what *that* is all about) and wonder what it was like here when someone took that tree down.
My house was built in 1930. The framing lumber has the nicest color and tightest grain I have ever see for pine. The wood turned almost beer bottle brown but when polyurethaned its the most beautiful color. The 2x4 is almost 100 years old and probly came from a 100-200 year old tree.

My house was built in 1930. The framing lumber has the nicest color and tightest grain I have ever see for pine. The wood turned almost beer bottle brown but when polyurethaned its the most beautiful color. The 2x4 is almost 100 years old and probly came from a 100-200 year old tree.
A lot of my framing wood is walnut. Some ash in the barn (where there's still bark on some to identify it.) You'd about break your wrist trying to drive a nail into some of it. Fascinating, some of the things they used back then.

I'd be interested in pics of the polyurethaned pine. Just because I get fascinated by things like that.

What general area of Michigan are you in? (Curious about the differences in what was used in different areas back in the day - both barn and house here were almost certainly at least originally built from trees on the property - which tend toward walnut, with some maple.

Interesting thread this is. In England The Green Man has been the spirit of the forest for centuries, he looks after the trees the plants and all life that lives there. Before christianity the pagans and the folklore trusted the Green Man to protect the forest and them in the forest. In the past England was covered in vast ancient forests and in the winter months quite a scary and spooky place but come spring it burst into life every body relied on the wood for heat and cooking and building also the animals and other food which could be picked, they beleived that you should respect the forests. A true hunter will only take what he needs and respects his quarry and use all the animal for various uses, we should be the same with our woodlands and forests. Google green man and remember when doing silly things in the forest, sloppy cuts etc the green man may be watching and one day bite your ass.

Trees have tamed the planet to habitability, by L-earning to work with Nature more than anything else.
Green Man is one of those things that seems to run inexplicably across unlinked ancient cultures.
People lived 20, 30yrs with generations of a family and culture feeding, heating, tooling, sheltering etc. in same woods or even single tree. This still shows in art from many nations and cultures. Trees and Greenman were looked to for wisdom etc. as seem to have figured out Nature best.
71FeAb+Y10L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Tree leaves appear green in the white light, from gobbling the red and blue bands leaving only the green seen.
So is darker in woods than we perceive , for we are most sensitive to that band of light.
>>we can discern more shades of green than any other color
>>used to be international orange for a safety color shirt, now more to the neon green
To me because of the eons our kind spent in living, hiding, hunting, praying to survive.
Down here we have majestic Live Oaks, that seem to even set off own balanced biosphere more than other trees as forster various mosses and the lives carried in them throughout; especially the shady parts of the tree inwards.

wiki/Green_Man

Wow! Now THIS is the direction I hoped this thread would go when I started it! Christian, Pagan, whatever, any way you look at it man was given dominion over Earth and all things upon it. That doesn't mean we should take any of it for granted though. Every day, I cut trees. Some, or should I say most, do what I ask of them. Others, seem to have a mind of their own. I guess what it all boils down to with me is to respect them and appreciate what they have provided for me. Some day, in the distant future hopefully, one may very well get me, and if that's what God has planned for me, Im fine with it. Id rather die in the woods than in a hospital bed anyway.
There have been several through the years that have tried. Ive had limbs as big as my thigh broke across my shoulder, Ive had splinters go almost 2 inches in to my arm, Ive had to have stitches in a VERY private area, Ive had my hip broke by what I assume was a rock hitting me, Ive had muscle compartment syndrome in my right arm from being hit by a rock, yeah, Ive been beat to **** working in the woods but I still get up every day and go right back out there because it is what makes ME.

I always touch a tree and apologise before cutting it down. At least, when I remember... Although I must do what has to be done, I still dislike doing it if it means killing a tree, a fox, even a rat. Sure, we have dominion over everything, but we shouldn't take it for granted.
My house is 422 years old, oak-framed, and I've often sat in front of the fire late at night and tried to look back to the lives of those to whom it's been home before me. No success there, so I guess I'm not spiritual enough to receive any vibes!
And I do like to see gates, posts, barns, etc here on the farm that I know are timber that grew right here. Much of it was cut, milled and set in position by me, but most of it by foresters, sawyers and carpenters hundreds of years ago. It seems right, somehow, that those trees 'live' on, just yards from where they grew to maturity.

Interesting thread this is. In England The Green Man has been the spirit of the forest for centuries, he looks after the trees the plants and all life that lives there. Before christianity the pagans and the folklore trusted the Green Man to protect the forest and them in the forest. In the past England was covered in vast ancient forests and in the winter months quite a scary and spooky place but come spring it burst into life every body relied on the wood for heat and cooking and building also the animals and other food which could be picked, they beleived that you should respect the forests. A true hunter will only take what he needs and respects his quarry and use all the animal for various uses, we should be the same with our woodlands and forests. Google green man and remember when doing silly things in the forest, sloppy cuts etc the green man may be watching and one day bite your ass.
How interesting. The Green Man. I use the ancient American circle for my spirit path. GREEN is the color of the SOUTH direction. It's the Direction of LIFE and Growth. I LOVE our traditional spirit path. I understand and respect many paths but as they say. You can't get the Indian out of the Indian. I was 69 when I realized I was getting to old to climb trees and stopped swimming in cold lakes and streams. Finally installed an inside bathroom and Hot water. I guess im finally getting domesticated. I remember when I got running water. I bathed outside every day. Lived in a 22 foot Teepee. One winter day I was breaking ice out of my rubber hose and the hose broke. It was cold and freezing rain. Got the water flowing, bathed, washed my long hair came inside to a roaring fire and dried off. Put my hair in a braid and dressed. My redhead girlfriend had spent the night. She said, you should put an inside bathroom in. By then Id built my cabin. To please her I spent days installing a bathroom complete with a shower. When she came to see me a week later I was proud of my accomplishments. She looked into the new shower and there was a blue poly tarp around the bathtub. She looked shocked, YOU call THAT a shower? I replied. It works. Give it a try. I had no TV and no fridge. Id bought an ice chest and had food. She glanced about the room and asked, Why do you have an outboard boat motor sitting in your house? Well , I replied, that's to keep the Foot from freezing and busting, never know if they have water in them. She shook her head in dismay. Ha. Ha. We had a hot time though until she chose a man who had a better looking house. The blue poly tarp still hangs around the bath tub. The ole Wood heater sits in the living room and a friend gave me a big fridge so when she drops by she can have cold beverages. I'm very happy. I enjoyed my younger days and sometimes miss that lovely redhead but by now I suspect her SELL BY DATE has been expired a long time ago. Boy, What a great life I've had / still having. I'd not change a thing. It's ALL GOOD. Probably will be better next go around. My soul wil trave from South to North the direction of the color Red. I call it traveling "The red road" . No HELL awaits me. No fear of passing. Yes I kinda wandered off thread a bit. Lo siento. Be blessed.

I always touch a tree and apologise before cutting it down. At least, when I remember... Although I must do what has to be done, I still dislike doing it if it means killing a tree, a fox, even a rat. Sure, we have dominion over everything, but we shouldn't take it for granted.
My house is 422 years old, oak-framed, and I've often sat in front of the fire late at night and tried to look back to the lives of those to whom it's been home before me. No success there, so I guess I'm not spiritual enough to receive any vibes!
And I do like to see gates, posts, barns, etc here on the farm that I know are timber that grew right here. Much of it was cut, milled and set in position by me, but most of it by foresters, sawyers and carpenters hundreds of years ago. It seems right, somehow, that those trees 'live' on, just yards from where they grew to maturity.
Quote:
I've often sat in front of the fire late at night and tried to look back to the lives of those to whom it's been home before me. No success there, so I guess I'm not spiritual enough to receive any vibes!.
In MY HONEST OPINION.
You are demonstrating a wonderful Spirit by what you are doing. I'd SUSPECT you ARE feeling vibes INTERNALLY. Often we expect to feel or see the Spiritual with the senses of the Physical. Joy can't be seen, measured, weighed YEY we know it's real for it fills out hearts with awesome feelings and at times fills out eyes with tears. The mother of my oldest daughter handed me a 4 month old little doll and said, here, you are the one who wanted a baby. Many silent nights id hold that baby and watch her tiny eyes as she took her bottle and locked her eyes with mine. What I felt was awesome and at times my eyes felt wet. She's 43 now and I'm all she has. I was a Mommy/Daddy. She called me either one depending upon what she needed at the moment. From reading what you wrote, I'd say you are very spiritual and an awesome person. In fact I'd probably think of you as a brother and adopt you if you lived near by. There are many good people on this group. I am glad to be here among such greatness. Blessings.

Latest posts

Back