Tree Spirits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I was cutting some tamaracks to open a view. I was not all that comfortable cutting a couple of dozen trees for a view. It seemed a waste of trees. It felt like bad karma, and I was extra careful. One saving grace was the trees growth had slowed a lot, the first 4-5' of heart wood the growth rings were nearly a 1/4", the outer rings were less than a 1/16". But there were a lot of 3-4" 20' pole size wood that would make could replacement poles for my teepee. Maybe I will get set up this summer.
Maybe if all had a bit more reverence for what we do and how we do it the earth may be a better place and so would we.
And, oh, vegetables scream when we eat them, I just cannot get my vegetarian friends to listen ;)

My redhead girlfriend Ha. Ha. We had a hot time though until she chose a man who had a better looking house.
I had a few of those (girlfriends), now it's just me myself and I. I kinda prefer it that way, you won't get left for someone else and your heart broken...

Trees are simply biological life just like an insect or a blade of grass. Nothing mysterious going on there.

Same for humans and all other living beings.

Fire on the other hand.....living but not a "being"

Trees, humans, mycelium, bacteria, alligators, ad infinitum, we all consume a resource(s) and expel "waste"

Animals. We all breathe, cough, sneeze, ****, and think. It's just a difference of degree/depth.

Plants are animate beings, we just don't recognize their actions as such because they, mostly, stay in one place or within a "footprint" (if you will.)

Spirits....well, all for one and one for all.

Trees, humans, mycelium, bacteria, alligators, ad infinitum, we all consume a resource(s) and expel "waste"

Animals. We all breathe, cough, sneeze, ****, and think. It's just a difference of degree/depth.

Plants are animate beings, we just don't recognize their actions as such because they, mostly, stay in one place or within a "footprint" (if you will.)

Spirits....well, all for one and one for all.
Sunflowers can be pretty lively over the course of a day. And the grapevines trying to pull my pasture fence down - there's some vegetation that may have to bite the dust this spring.

It was the tightest grained wood I ever seen. It was that dark color when I uncovered it just cleaned with a wet cloth and put clear gloss poly on it the circular saw and chop saw struggled to cut it. View attachment 963270View attachment 963271
The kitchen wall is looking at the 1815 section of the house. The kitchen was added sometime after 1815, but rafters and floor joist are logs flattened on one side and random spacings. The willow floor is in a new section. The willow was in the back yard and huge and too close the house so I took down piece by piece and had the two big 10" sections saw into boards. Soft like pine but with a little more character than new pine floor and who else has a weeping willow floor. The bedroom floor in the 1815 section, was just refinished. Hired a floor guy to sand off centuries? of lead paint. Can't get the color and sheen from new pine, it almost glows. Maple on the hill the was the morning after our ice storm

Attachments

• kitchenwall.jpg
    kitchenwall.jpg
    723.4 KB · Views: 14
  • willowfloor2.jpg
    willowfloor2.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 13
  • bedroom floor2.jpg
    bedroom floor2.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 14
  • bedroombefore after.jpg
    bedroombefore after.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 12
  • bedroom floor.jpg
    bedroom floor.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 13
  • maple on hill.jpeg
    maple on hill.jpeg
    789.5 KB · Views: 14
Sunflowers can be pretty lively over the course of a day. And the grapevines trying to pull my pasture fence down - there's some vegetation that may have to bite the dust this spring.
Black cherry trees that are being eaten by insects will give off pheromones that other black cherries can detect, and those trees start to convert compounds in their leaves into cyanide to deter or kill the insects - just the tip of the iceberg of plant communications and symbiotic relationships

Trees are simply biological life just like an insect or a blade of grass. Nothing mysterious going on there.

Spirits....well,

Ha, yep. Vines are a whole other group. I've seen OR grape, poison oak, honeysuckle, wisteria, and others take over rooms, fences,decks, and so on.

Black cherry trees that are being eaten by insects will give off pheromones that other black cherries can detect, and those trees start to convert compounds in their leaves into cyanide to deter or kill the insects - just the tip of the iceberg of plant communications and symbiotic relationships
Something - I think oaks? - do that with gypsy moths.

Something - I think oaks? - do that with gypsy moths.
Not sure but in michigan last year was one of the worst if not the worst for gypsy moths on record. Whole swaths of forests were bare of leaves by end of July beginning of August, my place up north was covered in them and at night sounded like rain from all the droppings, could count hundreds on oak and popple trunks. Everything was covered in caterpillar poop.

Another thread on here go me to thinking about this and I thought I would start a thread about it. Do any of yall believe some trees have a spirit? As a logger I certainly hope they don't but whos to say for sure. Ive ran across a few that I thought were out to get me that's for sure. I had a chestnut oak once that shot off the stump, flipped ends and the whole top ended up ALL around the stump! I also cut a wild cherry once that wasn't leaning hardly at all, perfect trunk, very little top. I swear to God that tree literally EXPLODED mid way up the trunk AS IT WAS FALLING and slabs, landed all around me! There wasn't anywhere to run so I just had to stand there and let it all happen. After it was all said and done, there wasn't a solid 8 ft section of that tree left.
Another one that comes to mind is a buddy of mine was building a house and at the time there was no public water so he had to drill a well. He had a "water witcher" come out and locate well spots. Witchers wife came with him but she sat in the truck. After they got done and were fixing to leave she looked at my buddy, pointed to a tree at the edge of his yard, and told him "you better cut that tree before you build your house, that tree is ANGRY!" MY buddy listened to her politely and promptly forgot all about that warning. After all, this tree was a chestnut oak about 48in across the stump and it was leaning down the hill at a very steep angle directly AWAY from his house. You guessed it, about the time he got the house dried in, that tree turned 180 degrees UPHILL and AWAY from the lean, and took the front porch off his new house!
Going back to the original post here. Yes a tree can have a spirit, good or bad. If a sounder of hogs can be possessed and run off a cliff and destroy a towns economy, then a tree or trees can be possessed. Our eyes will be open one day and we will not be looking through cloudy glass.

Living trees are more than just a stockpile of wood fiber...

Amazed when thinking about how a tree - basically a combination of nutrients leeched from the ground mixed with water - - - becomes a strong, towering monolith, able to bend and move, yet hold firm against the power of the wind.

I'll leave the spirit discussion to others...while I stand in awe of their created beauty.

Although like eating meat, vegetables and fruit...it won't stop me from felling a few trees and putting them to use!

And there will come a day...when a few trees will be using my left-over nutrients to grow strong...

Humans are biological yet we hand flowers to those we love. There are two sides of the brain. They must connect for a man to function well. There is the human Animal and the greater self that's not physical.

Humans are biological yet we hand flowers to those we love. There are two sides of the brain. They must connect for a man to function well. There is the human Animal and the greater self that's not physical.

Yes I am well aware of the left and right hemisphere of the brain. But the human animal and the greater self you are going to have to explain that one a little more. I think that man has a spirit but I believe only humans have that aspect to their life not trees or animals or insects or birds or fish.

Going back to the original post here. Yes a tree can have a spirit, good or bad. If a sounder of hogs can be possessed and run off a cliff and destroy a towns economy, then a tree or trees can be possessed. Our eyes will be open one day and we will not be looking through cloudy glass.
The physical is totally different than the Spiritual-or Abstract unseen part of human life. Children express it best. Feelings. Love or Fear is UNSEEN.. it can not be measured or weighed by physical means..Humans FEEL something. They do their best to express it by physical means by their voice and actions BUT no solid provable or measurable proof of what they feel can be scientific poroven..Heart rate goes up.. That's physical not abstract. It's impossible to mix the two sciences..No one can prove their love with is feelings, and belief by any unseen means. In an attempt to prove our feelings we Do things. We give flowers, we shout, we fight or we embrace. We express hate or acceptance BUT those two things are separate. My friend is Atheist. Does NOT believe in a Deity..I'm Shaman..One day we drove to a city 40 miles from her home for late night lunch. When we arrived I announced I'd laid my cell phone on the trunk of her car..She said, Oh my What will you do. I said, FIRST,, I will NOT get upset.. Lets enjoy our meal and later I will ask my Spirit Guides to help me find it.. A few hours later as we neared her house I said, Exuse me while I pray.. Out loud I asked. Then I said, I heard a voice in my head it said the celular slid off the trunk when me made a sharp turn at the names of this road and that road (names with-held)..She replied NO it could NOT have stayed on that long that's miles from my house. I said, we shall see. It was dark by the time I got to the intersection. I got a flash light and there was the phone..She said, YOU are Physic. I said, NO, I am not. Humans are animals. Give credit to the unseen deity. To show it's love for me, the Spirits just gave me a bouquet of Roses. Deities don't prove themselves. They are. I've done stuff like this many times but it's NOT the man of flesh. It's the inner man who acknowledges the Abstract and lives in both worlds.The Definition for Shaman is he who walks between the worlds. I believe ANYONE should be able to do it..NO I do not know everything...ONLY that which I am told..the voice is in my head. My daughter with a Masters in Psychology has known me all her life and tells me I'm not insane. She is well educated and believes all religion is Mythology. She might be right. What I do is NOT a religion..No church..No one to worship. No one great leader who knows it all... NO asking for anyone for money.. Just being who I am..Living alone and enjoying my short "animal body" life on earth knowing when this Dream ends I will be in a beautiful world and continue to learn, mature and grow more aware, loving kind and understanding. I see no need for a Devil or hell..I create my own world. I see what I chose to see and it''s all good..Humans worry way to much. Fight when it's unnecessary. Try to change minds of others and that's' not our job..People have a right to be wrong and I graciously accept that in the eyes of MOST base humans (which I try to avoid being remotely like) would by their limited abilities to understand the Great Wide world of The NEVER ending abstract: would by physical reasoning, render a man who thinks like me insane as elllll..I assure them I'm completely harmless and to them I ask this one question:, Are you happy all the time? Everyday of your life? Of course they say no and disbelieve me when I say I am..If there is NO spirit world and I die happy and assured like this, I won anyway. My daughter asked me, "Daddy, what IF you die and there is NO other world". I replied, Ellll, I won't give a damn.. How will I know? Ha. Ha. we both laughed...This is my opinion. It's a take it or leave it. Curse me, hate me or roll eyes. No one could change my mind so it's useless to straighten me out. Ha. Ha. i'm like a Hog in a mud puddle, I like it here. Ha Ha. Have a great day..

You can put me in the Roll your eyes category.
Finally getting time to talk more about this.. It's 03:10 here and I just finished my homework on line and my volunteer work.. FIRST..
I fully believe it's PERFECTLY OK for anyone to NOT believe in metaphysical or abstract thinking.. ANYONE who would be offended that someone else did not believe in their "Religious" ideas is weak and childish..If I tell my lady friend "I love you" and she replies, "No you don't, then adds "I do not believe you".. ONLY a fool filled with a weak self image would be offended or demand she believe..My poor mother raised dirt poor by a half Native American father, "Got Saved"..You can only imagine the torture she put her children through..Me the rebellious one.. Sticking with my Traditions and her proclaiming her son is demon possessed until the day she died and went to HER other world.. Of all her 5 kids I am the ONLY one she could not change..I did take on line classes and have studied (for YEARS) many different religions. The thing that bothers me most is how one religion will claim it's the only right one to the determent of all others.. HOW can anything be perfect on earth. How can all other religions be all bad? That's very judgmental thinking. My spiritual journey began back in 1975 when I firmly choose to dis-believe everything and start a fast, do or die one. I was now known to my family as Satan filled. A demon going to hell fire..They made my life miserable so I stayed away from them. That's what "Religion does for ya"..It would be over 20 years before my baby sister invited me into her house. I like to compare religion (all of them) to the story of the Serpent in the Garden of Eden (in my opinion a metaphor) as the FIRST Religious leader..Everyone was running around naked and enjoying life, one big party. NO ONE made fun of or judged another..NO comparing. NO, "I'm right you are wrong".. NONE of that.. True Democracy (not to be confused with the political party).. THEN we have the Serpent introducing everyone at the party to "The Fruit of the tree of,,GOOD and EVIL".. Until then NOT ONE person ever considered GOOD and EVlL much less judged others..After that the"Eden Theme Park, aka "Garden of Eden" closed down. Everyone had to leave and get a real job.. Disney picked up the idea thousands of years later and STILL charge people to get in.. Clothes are not optional there yet..Blame that on the saved. Ha Ha..My ideas about spirits came to me in bits and pieces over a lot of years..I'm still open to more revelation.. I've had a LOT of visions and dreams and saw other worlds. NO drugs used. After years of fasting, and much meditation.. Sweat lodges weekly for years and ME finally finding ME, I sorta settled on what I now believe but I'm always open to learning more.. For years I could not find ME until one day I realized I had not yet created ME..SO I set about to Create ME in the imagine and likeness of the "Son of God". That's a job. Something I work on all the time.. BUT at least I have a mental (abstract) visual plan..Does the Son of God drop something and blow up yelling and screaming like an ape,, NO.. he stays calm. TRY that one, Ha Ha.. TOOK me years..So daily my life is about discipline and it's lived with purpose..Does that make me Great or smart or above anyone else!!! NO and IF I assumed it did or if I cared what others think I'd be seeking validation from someone other than myself..,, I'd be living in the flesh, Like the son of Man. NO one has a right to judge others.. I told my favorite human alive on earth (My grandson/son) that HE DOES NOT have to believe like me. He does NOT have to be like ME..Cults are built upon someone being SUPREME..Cults are like children at play..My daddy can beat your daddy up..Is there a HOLY man???? Ha. Ha.. That's foolish. That's judging.. Is there an unholy man..??? Yes, many. They hurt others..I'm a man of peace and I have a goal to love everyone that will let me BUT I would become a Grizzly Bear if I saw someone harm a child..I pity that person. I'd plead temporary insanity..That's called "Shape Shifting" in my Culture.. I did that once when I saw a bull killing a woman.. I was about 45 then. Now my body is old but I'd still try..I'm no saint..IS anyone? Really.. Men who seek fame find dishonor. Honorable men are simple men who do honorable things..and they don't need to be in the news or in public office nor hear someone else speak their names..I firmly believe everyone will be ok and if they don't get it here. They will get it in another dream. I refuse to worry.. about anything or mourn for anything..Loss is just illusion.. When I boxed (short time amateur) the thing I loved about round one is knowing there will be round two. Even if the fight ends in Round Two there will be another fight another time..Religion, loves to place fear in people. It's a way to control, get power and enrich the leaders. Freedom, is close to heaven..Bless you..

I recharge my batteries so to speak with walks into the giant Western red cedar groves that are not known to many others. The feeling I get being there and when I leave is beyond any words I can describe. Some of these trees are 1000 to 1600 years old and 12 foot on the stump DBH.
So for me, for the forest to have such a profound effect on ones body, emotions and soul, I would have to say that trees resonate at a frequency higher than ours and thus must be more than just organic material.

I recharge my batteries so to speak with walks into the giant Western red cedar groves that are not known to many others. The feeling I get being there and when I leave is beyond any words I can describe. Some of these trees are 1000 to 1600 years old and 12 foot on the stump DBH.
So for me, for the forest to have such a profound effect on ones body, emotions and soul, I would have to say that trees resonate at a frequency higher than ours and thus must be more than just organic material.

The thing is half and half. Man is Half Physical and Half "unseen".. The unseen houses feelings, emotions, deep thought far above the human mind. That's the higher mind. There we find ourselves or we neglect ourselves.. People who are depressed most often are stuck in the past. The human mind..They can't get past what has happended to them. They have no faith in anything getting any better They become trapped in their OWN physical mind and by not having a belief in the Higher Mind they deny it's existence to themselves and by doing so they blind the eyes of the other self and therefore can never experience it. It's impossible to experience that which we have already determined does not exist.
Because I am open to learning about what I do not know, I am able to see things that do not exist to others..If it's imagination well it made me 350 dollars one time when I actually spoke with a Spirit and together we worked a plan where I legally earned 350 dollars..It was a little ole lady that had lived in a house I was painting inside at night..She told me she hated the color and I told her to wait until I got paid and then speak that aloud to the owner.. He got the message, wanted the color changed and I charged him 350 more dollars..So IF i'm just dreaming this stuff up. It's making me happy..I see and feel spirits in nature..Even animals..I fell almost on top of a Copper Head snake one time..It was right there in my face.. I held still and it crawled away. It has NO fear of me and I had no fear of it..My peaceful spirit might have kept me from getting snake bitten..Wild animals seem to understand I am not a danger..Kids I've never met run up to me. Strangers smile at me all the time.. Someone must be seeing my Spirit of love..I counseled someone from New York today.. The message of YOU find GOD your way seems to be working well.. If it's my immigration and it's helping me and others, well that's a good thing.. Smile..Be blessed. Know who you are and never let anyone else define you..The ONLY freedom NO one can take from you is the ability to think. Man can cage a Lion, Man can make him obey but we never know what that Lion is going to do.. Because his thoughts belong only to him. So is man..

Latest posts

Back