Why use a WRAP handle.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcso10

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was just wondering why you would want to use a wrap handle on your chainsaw. I know it seems to be a west coast thing mostly. I remember the day the only way we could get the 056 MAG II was with a wrap. We just took a hacksaw and took the wrap part off. What benefit do you get from the handle. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Lots of good reasons, not the least of all being the ability to work from either side of a tree on a steep hillside and still be able to cut with the top/bottom of the bar as desired since the handle setup is more or less symetrical. Do a search, it's all been covered before.

because they are nice to have, and handy. most don't know it because saws don't come with them standard (talking east coast and midwest, of course).
try one, if you do any felling at all, you will like having it.
-Ralph

Thanks to both of you on your comments. Way down south here they are not used. The most recent time of me seeing them was during Hurricane Katrina. Thats only because thats all we could get.

where are ya in miss? I used to live outside jackson, in pearl
-Ralph

lcso10 said:
I was just wondering why you would want to use a wrap handle on your chainsaw. I know it seems to be a west coast thing mostly. I remember the day the only way we could get the 056 MAG II was with a wrap. We just took a hacksaw and took the wrap part off. What benefit do you get from the handle. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
It's like this, why would they put rubber grips on a walker? Why would they put that extra metal wheel on the outside of the regular wheel on a wheelchair? Why do they make handicapped parking spaces wider? Why do they make the tape tabs, extra wide on adult diapers? The answer, because they work better.

rahtreelimbs said:
I acquired 2 full wrap handles from members here on trade. Contrary to what I thought flush cuts on stumps can still be made reasonably low!

Gawd, thank you! I've been saying that since I've been here, and everyone thinks that all of a sudden that wrap is going to leave some huge stump forest behind when you're done. You can flush a stump just fine with one!

flushing a stump

Look, I'm a wrap guy.
But if you're doing yard work and need a stump that doesn't interfere too much with a lawn mower. I can see why a half wrap would be the best choice.

If you don't do that much falling and it is mostly on flat ground and small diameter.

With a wrap you can bevel the cut and get it flush on one side, but that looks unprofessional.

If you're an arborist with two mid or larger saws in the rig, try having one with a wrap handle.

Bottom line, there is a difference between working in the woods and on a lawn. Both have their legitimate needs.

Oh H3LL NO! A full wrap would add, what, 11, maybe 12 ounces of dead weight to the saw without adding to power? Disregard any notions of better operational characteristics - it's AAAAALLLLL about power-to-weight. Adding weight without a corresponding and proportional power increase would be a step backwards from what has already been produced, and only an idiot would consider THAT!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Really, for the cutting I do, I see no real need for the extra bulk and "cumbersomeness" I envision the extra tubing would add. I don't cut on sidehills, I don't normally "flush-stump" with a saw I'd consider upgrading to full-wrap.

pitkas said:
So, Bump r the saw would have a better power to weight ratio without a handle.

Yup. Anything to trim weight.

(FYI, this was a take-off from the "Prince of Saws" thread... - I actually don't feel power-to-weight is the end-all measurement of a saw's performance and thus value. A valuable measurement? sure - only measurement? naaah. I don't see me using a wrap handle, but realize there are those who can benefit from one.)

It's also real nice if your escape route is limited...

On the original post, the early 056 design was less than stellar - you couldn't get to the bar nuts with the wrap handle installed! Stihl issued a service bulletin to show us "how" to cut the bottom of the handle off with a hack saw! Things have come a long way since then.

Last edited:
As purely an incidental benefit, when using an Alaskan Mill with a saw with a full wrap, the wrap provides a nice "foot" to lay the saw down on. Otherwise, as you lay it down with the mill horizontal without a wrap, the saw rests directly on it's side-in the dirt, chips and so on. With the wrap, you keep your saw, intake, muffler and all of that up out of the crap. Not what's it's meant for, but it does work well.

Latest posts

Back