• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Homelite 450 / maybe 550

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 450 will be the best one I have and I do not have additional felling dawgs.
Then I'm more than happy to move forward on it if you are.

If it's okay I'll go ahead and send you a pm?

Thanks again sir.

Was this one just the most accessible at the time or did you think there may be a better example to find yet?

I'm happy to take what I can get though and I'm grateful you were willing to help and offer yours and I wouldn't feel right asking you to go dig more out just for my behalf.

I will say for myself the one thing I look for is if the handle is straight, & without bends or damage as I have never had luck straightening them and there not common for these saws.

The 450 you have looks to have a straight handle and no damage that I can see at all. Would you agree?

Thanks again sir!
I just sent you a pm

I just sent you a pm
Yes I see that thank you! I have replied now also.

I have a 550 with a full wrap. It runs but the muffler bolt holes are wallowed out and will need heli-coils. I got it in a multiple saw deal and I already had a 550, so I just put on a shelf and I don't know much else about the saw. I'll be asking $250 PHO plus shipping. If you're interested I'll post some pictures.
Thank you both gentleman for responding so quickly and helping me with my search. Very kind of you and I really appreciate it.

I wasn't expecting to get results that fast but I'm not complaining one bit haha

Best regards friends,

450 is 74cc,550 is 84cc.Great saws,I have one of each,both strong runners.Guessing from some my literature & ChainSaw Age magazine ads,the 550 was introduced first,around late 1978/early 1979,then the 450 was after that around 1980-81.

The legendary 750 was introduced June 1978,according to a feature story & big 2 page ad in ChainSaw Age.The smaller 350 (great saw,predecessor to the much more common 360 with same displacement) was the first one in that series,it came out in 1975.
Funny thing is they didnt have all of them for sale at the same time,just 2-3 of them. Like the 750 was a replacement for the short lived Super 650 (with same displacement).But you could get the 450,550 & 750 in 1980 for about a year.
Hmm, that's interesting as I have seen quite a few 450's that were made in 1977 to 1979 with the 550 being much more readily found in the 1980 - 1982 range. I must respectfully disagree as I still believe the 450 came first followed by the 550.

Here is a TSB I had in my homelite folder dated 9/78 and it's referring to a updated handle design as the handles prior to this were flattened on the top mount and easily noticeable. So most of all the 450's that you see that have this flat top mount for the handle are prior to 9/78 at least. Also notice almost all 550's that you see have this new handle design where it is round and not flattened. I would think the majority are past this date also.
091436acd8b7bc57c4f0cfec6cd9b621.jpg

Thank you!

This saw is still here.
Yes thank you. It's been a super busy past week for me so I apologize for the delay in response. I am still weighing my options however.

If someone else is interested, feel free to let me know and I will try to have a decision for you so you can decide what you want to do.
Regardless yes, I am still interested myself for sure.

Thank you for your time sir.

Saw wiped off. Handle bar removed for packing.
Hey Bill, I know I had sent you a message just recently, however my saws that I had listed actually sold well so we can go ahead and finish on this If you would like to.

Thank you

Hmm, that's interesting as I have seen quite a few 450's that were made in 1977 to 1979 with the 550 being much more readily found in the 1980 - 1982 range. I must respectfully disagree as I still believe the 450 came first followed by the 550.

Here is a TSB I had in my homelite folder dated 9/78 and it's referring to a updated handle design as the handles prior to this were flattened on the top mount and easily noticeable. So most of all the 450's that you see that have this flat top mount for the handle are prior to 9/78 at least. Also notice almost all 550's that you see have this new handle design where it is round and not flattened. I would think the majority are past this date also.
View attachment 1150249

Thank you!

View attachment 1150249

Thank you!
I was just inside the pullstarter cover of my 450 today cleaning grease off of the recoil spring,and the date of manufactured clock that gets stamped in all die cast parts says 75 and I was watching a video on Leon chainsaw parts and repair just last night and he said 1975 was the first year of manufacture of the 450. I had an old timer i met through Craigslist give me five awesome condition chainsaws for free! And one of those was an almost perfect condition 1975 450 homelite that is a sexy saw with the full wrap handle bar in mint condition with new bar and chain 36inch, he also gave me a perfect poulan super deluxe, Jonsered 80 missing pullstarter assembly, stihl 041, Sachs-Dolmar 120!

Latest posts

Back