Why wasn't I told?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rahtreelimbs said:
Its been a while since I had a Stihl apart. Isn't the damaged part of the shaft and the clutch one-piece that threads onto the crank?

If so, why not just replace the whole clutch assembly?

Lakeside53 said:
Nope... That damaged shaft is part of the crank. The clutch threads on beyond that.

Thanx!!!

Wow, I hope I learned something from your mistake. I would been so ticked at myself. Thanks for sharing this.

Lakeside53 said:
Here's what I do, but be carefull...

I'm glad you described this Lakeside!

It was what I was thinking I would do, but not knowing if the clutch should come off first I refrained from suggesting it. :taped:

But I'm tucking this bit of info away for future reference!

I like to chuck up objects in the drill press for sanding/polishing, etc... Saves elbow grease and helps uniformity.

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:
I'm glad you described this Lakeside!

It was what I was thinking I would do, but not knowing if the clutch should come off first I refrained from suggesting it. :taped:

But I'm tucking this bit of info away for future reference!

I like to chuck up objects in the drill press for sanding/polishing, etc... Saves elbow grease and helps uniformity.

Chaser

hey, I'm an expert :D Once started a saw with the clutch drum off, the clutch expanded, broke the casing and flew to pieces! Exciting - yes!; Stupid - yes!

Lakeside53 said:
hey, I'm an expert :D Once started a saw with the clutch drum off, the clutch expanded, broke the casing and flew to pieces! Exciting - yes!; Stupid - yes!

I'm glad you added this bit, too!! (VERY glad...)

Chaser

I got ya both beat! I once reassembled an LTS-101 (the current engine on our helos, now being replaced by the Turbomeca, thank God) turbine without making sure the spur gear meshed properly, and tightened the can to the compressor. All done and tried to turn it...no joy. A perfectly good $450,000 turnbine engine back to overhaul!!! :cry: Of course that was long ago, and I've not ruined anything nearly as expensive since then! :laugh:

Jeff

Be sure to replace the 3 clutch return springs while you have the drum off. They're probably "sprung" from the excessive heat that was generated. If you don't do this, the chain will probably turn at idle and you have a serious safety issue. The 3 springs are less than $5.00- your medical deductable is certainly higher than this.

SmithEC...If you hadn't made your mistake none of us would have gotten all this good info. Thanks for posting. If theres anybody out there thats run a saw,or any other kind of machinery, and not screwed up I think their next trick should be walking on water. I heard a woods boss tell a guy one time "you're not the first guy who made this mistake and you won't be the last...you're just the latest" Thanks to you there'll be quite a few less "latest".

fishhuntcutwood said:
I got ya both beat! I once reassembled an LTS-101 (the current engine on our helos, now being replaced by the Turbomeca, thank God) turbine without making sure the spur gear meshed properly, and tightened the can to the compressor. All done and tried to turn it...no joy. A perfectly good $450,000 turnbine engine back to overhaul!!! :cry: Of course that was long ago, and I've not ruined anything nearly as expensive since then! :laugh:

Jeff

So, you think they forgot? That explains the ALASKA and PORT ANGELES postings:laugh: :laugh:

u fit into a category ,common on this forum. people read how a member does something . then try and do it to their saw . i decided a long time ago,that while im adequate at saw operation. if its stock , and runing good ,i let somebody that knows what they are doing ,repair or modify it.
while i do carb adjustments now ,i think learning how to do this without doing more harm than good ,is not as simple as u mite think from reading these post.
now if the saw runs good ,i leave it alone. better effort can be made in gaining ability at getting chain suitable for good cutting.jmo and good luck

Back