Why would......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even so why pay 200 more than you need.
By need I mean if you can get by with a lower power saw, that happens to cost 200 less then all the big guys better offer one otherwise 140 bucks at wal-mart starts sounding real nice, even if it is junk in comparison.
There is going to be a difference in material, features, and probably torque. There should not be a difference in quality control, warranty or those types of things.

So If I'm Johnny homeowner that just wants to clean up storm damage, which I am, then I don't want to spend even 200.00 more than I need to to get the job done. Yet still want to get a quality piece of equipment. If Stihl, Husky Dolmar Jonsered. can't or wont offer a mid range product thus forcing me to the low end, then I will likely buy a wild thing for less.

In short people tend to buy brand name, If Johnny homeowner (me) can't afford what I know is a quality brand then I will buy junk from the big box rather than pay the brand name price for brand name junk.

ah.. but not all junk is created equal, and some can actually be repaired;)

All the major brands have offerings at every price point...

Last edited:
true...some junk is worth recycling

But as in my case if the price had chased me out of my local stihl shop, it would have chased me to unrecycleable junk.

but instead I picked up an 038 mag for 250, as a result I went back a couple of weeks ago and bought a smaller saw. A "junk" ms 170 for limbing. Because as you said not all junk is created equal and a very small light weight saw was needed so I did buy the better "junk" but only because I wasn't chased away 5 months ago.

+1

Why does Husky have Jreds in same model......

Why Poulan ,Husky ,Jred in some models????

Why MS290/310/390??

Why 345??/455/460 Husky??

Why MS650 and 660??

you hit that nail right on the head dude... If I wasn't outta rep I'd zap ya...

:clap:

ummmm

How much of a price difference is there between a 6400 and a 7900?

Why is there any price difference when they basically cost the same to produce?

Maybe I am not suppose to ask that.....

I'd like to know where Scotty and Steve are when this thread is going on???

:popcorn:

Alot of real inexpensive things are also sold with very large profit margins.

Whats your point?

I just asked a question.

My point is further illustrated by your comment. IT IS SUPPLY AND DEMAND. That is the answer to your question.

Fred

I cant speak for Dolmar as to why, But I can tell you why I got a 510 instead of a 5100. $150 price difference, and the 510 is all I need. If I needed more HP I would pony up for the difference.

I wanted a better quality saw than I had, but didn't want to spend a lot of bucks.

By offering more choices, they cater to more people, and make more money.

IMO:greenchainsaw:

Well, it is like selling Caddys, high end computer servers, and lawn mowers. The best margins are at the top of the line. Margins being profit margins. No doubt the same with chainsaws.

$150 price difference, and the 510 is all I need.
May I ask just what you paid? That means a 510 would be 200.00. and yes that would be cheap but next question would be just what is different about the 2 saws to justify charging 150.00 more.

And the answer is

BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL PAY IT.
The same reason that a new Mustang with fancy paint and a high performance engine is $10,000.00 higher than the same car with plain paint and a V-6. The build cost is almost identical.
Mike

The 9010 is an older generation model. It may not be much more powerful (on paper) than a 7900, but it's a much heavier duty milling saw and for that purpose (milling) it's still in the lineup. It's also quite a torqer at lower rpms.

Exactly. On top of that, it costs money to re-tool, so that explains the "same saws - different displacement" on many levels. In the case of the 9010, it will take considerable dollars to re-style and re-issue this classic in the bubble frame typical of of the smaller Dolmars that we are used to. Once they make enough sales to justify it, they will re-tool the 9010 to look more familiar.

On the 64/73/7900, same story. One set of tooling for the three saw bodies, spanning three categories. Even if the 6400 and 7300 sales are weak, you know the 7900 sales alone have covered the cost of the tooling for body already, so even weak 64/73 sales are pure profit. Yes, they could have a lighter offering in the 64/73 class and eventually they will in order to improve their rep in those classes.

Well, it is like selling Caddys, high end computer servers, and lawn mowers. The best margins are at the top of the line. Margins being profit margins. No doubt the same with chainsaws.

Just not true. Maybe the way it should be, but not a rule.

Fred

I'd like to know where Scotty and Steve are when this thread is going on???

:popcorn:

Where have I been LOL at the races Dude when are you and Chick'n coming down to watch??? We led half the feature tonight and finished 4th.

Well about frame sharing........... This is nothing new I have been selling Dolmar since the late seventies and back then we had 5 saws that shared alot of components but you could split that into 2 groups the 112 and 114 were the same saw c'ept for the ignition system and then the 117, 119, then the 120 were basically the same saw again in a 3.7 ci instead of the 112 and 114's 3.1 ci the 117 and the 119 were the same again c'ept for ignition again then the 120 had a better carb. There were many variants of the original 5 models eventually to the ever popular 120si. Now the new generation saws ie: the 460, 510, and 5100 they share the same design the 460 and the 510 use alum c cases and the 5100 has a mag case the 460 uses a plastic top handle vs the alum used on the 510 & 5100 but the 510 and the 5100 are the same displacement but use different cylinders and coils. Now the 6400, the 7300 and the 7900 again share 99% of the same parts c'ept for the P&C. What does all this translate to you ask and why do saw mfgr's do this??? Well it is about price YES it does cost different to outfit saws like I have described and yes not everyone wants to spend the extra $ or even need the extra HP of the larger saws. From my point of view I think it a great thing what Dolmar has done with designs. IT ALLOWS THE DEALER to stock less parts to cover more saws! Which in turn is better for you the customer's cause the dealer should have you covered for parts easier. I could go on and on but lets see where this leads now.

Scott

Cuttinscott you filled in some blanks there as the average person would not know where the real diffs were outside what the brochure says which BTW is were I got all the info I was comparing and started wondering. I know there is a little more than 100.00 difference between the 6400 and the 7900 and they both weight the same on paper. I think most people would pay that to have the lightest most powerful saw in a givin category. In fact I wonder were the sales levels are. I would think the best sellers are the 5100 and 7900 that most people identify with. Until I looked closer at my brochure I didn't even know the 510 existed.

Price is king...

In the Stihl world.. substantially more sales go the the lower priced lower power versions...

A lot more 210 are sold then 230 or 250... Same with 290, verses 310 and 390...

Power to weight? Not a consideration to most home owner level purchasers.... Nobody ever asks me that question.

Price is king...

In the Stihl world.. substantially more sales go the the lower priced lower power versions...

A lot more 210 are sold then 230 or 250... Same with 290, verses 310 and 390...

Power to weight? Not a consideration to most home owner level purchasers.... Nobody ever asks me that question.

Just the opposite here Lake more 5100's and 7900's probably 10-1

Scott

Back