Why you shoulad always put on chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treecutr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was doing an oak removal, and testing out helmet cam. I dropped the saw a little, and you can see what happens. I ALWAYS put the chain brake on when I finish a cut, this is a good example why. It doesn't end up shpwing what the issue was, but I figured it out in a minute or so. I was using my buddies Husky ( hate to admit it, but I liked it a little ) when the saw fell, it hit the spar below, and on that saw ( I don't know if it's true for all husky saws ) Theres a plunger that when you squeeze the trigger, it pushes in and away you go. Somehow it popped out of it's slot, and basically was jammed in full throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZU2WdKPTCo

I agree but what are you doing with such a big saw on the little stuff?

Also one problem I did notice... its a Husky! There's the problem right there! Geez, with a saw like that you are lucky enough just to be able to find the jobsite!

:greenchainsaw:

My God though, did you drop that saw like that?

I was doing an oak removal, and testing out helmet cam. I dropped the saw a little, and you can see what happens. I ALWAYS put the chain brake on when I finish a cut, this is a good example why. It doesn't end up shpwing what the issue was, but I figured it out in a minute or so. I was using my buddies Husky ( hate to admit it, but I liked it a little ) when the saw fell, it hit the spar below, and on that saw ( I don't know if it's true for all husky saws ) Theres a plunger that when you squeeze the trigger, it pushes in and away you go. Somehow it popped out of it's slot, and basically was jammed in full throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZU2WdKPTCo

I like to see your frustration with the slamming up of the face shield , thats funny to me and I like the see the oh :censored: grab of the tree when the wood disappeared that saw Is a piece of :censored: because .... It's a Husky and it just is...

I think you are beating yourself up a little Treecutr. Those little Stihls would have done that entire tree pretty much. Also It looked like you could have rigged from an adjacent position which would have made it easier on you as well.
Good techinique with that braking wrist though and you will be glad of it.

In my early days I only had a 440 and a 310. While the 310 is not exactly a big saw it was what I dragged up with me and was cumbersome. It was not very long before I bought a 200t.

I hear you on that myself though I wasn't not doing a whole lot without a top handle.

I like to see your frustration with the slamming up of the face shield , thats funny to me and I like the see the oh :censored: grab of the tree when the wood disappeared that saw Is a piece of :censored: because .... It's a Husky and it just is...

After I realized that SoB was toast I would have said something like this " WTF? You guys are still standing around watching me jerk with this saw? Run and get me another one and hurry the hell up... AND MAKE SURE IT SAYS STIHL ON IT!!!"

After I realized that SoB was toast I would have said something like this " WTF? You guys are still standing around watching me jerk with this saw? Run and get me another one and hurry the hell up... AND MAKE SURE IT SAYS STIHL ON IT!!!"

I feel sorry for your men Dan ,first the slick line story now you saying you yell at them , where me doesn't matter if I yell or not they don't :censored: understand me either way, so I just raise my hands in frustration than point at what need like a caveman ....

Treecuttr,

You look a little panicked when the top dropped.

If you'd just sat back, parked the saw all calm like on your hip, there never would have been a problem.

This job is all about control: Control of the tree, control of your body, control of your saw.

At least one of those was missing, you see the result.

RedlineIt

I feel sorry for your men Dan ,first the slick line story now you saying you yell at them , where me doesn't matter if I yell or not they don't :censored: understand me either way, so I just raise my hands in frustration than point at what need like a caveman ....

Hell, they ain't my men! But I thank God for giving me somebody to holler at anyway.:cheers:
Besides when I holler at em that makes em run around all confused and that is half the fun right there. I took this job because I got to holler at people, Hell, somebody is always hollering at me.

:cheers:

Treecuttr,

If you'd just sat back, parked the saw all calm like on your hip, there never would have been a problem.

This job is all about control: Control of the tree, control of your body, control of your saw.

RedlineIt

Whoa thats deep there ,like zen stuff , I just fell asleep reading it ,namastay

Hell, they ain't my men! But I thank God for giving me somebody to holler at anyway.:cheers:
Besides when I holler at em that makes em run around all confused and that is half the fun right there. I took this job because I got to holler at people, Hell, somebody is always hollering at me.

:cheers:
Oh dan there your boys and you know it , so you work for someone now I thought those were your trucks if not , you wanna sell that red 450 tree likey muchoe

Oh dan there your boys and you know it , so you work for someone now I thought those were your trucks if not , you wanna sell that red 450 tree likey muchoe

No I don't really employee anybody save for a sub climber here and there. I do a good amount by self, hence my trucks and equipment though I should have just bought a Corvette. I also sub conttract for a lot of different peoples. Its CRAAAAAAZY! I get to meet them all. I don't know if I can stop but I know I should.
i could never get into having employees and such. I do have respect for guys and all, I guess that is what keeps me from trying to hire people and pay them to do tree work.
But when I go out with other comapanies( and I do work and try to help real good, I don't let people hold the load alone) I get a lot of jackasses who wanna play games.
I was working a lot with Jesse and John and they would even come help me on my jobs but Jesse is bipolar as a mofo and dangerous. One minute he is calling me names and the next he is working his ass off doing more than he should. John is just a kid who needs a job. They both work for this guy who pays them liitle. They don't want to learn, they try to get out of work by excuses, both have come close to killing me playing stupid.
I just can't get into the games and I don't have what it takes to be a bawss. I don't really holler at many people unless they are really jerking around and have been told about it before or if they know better but do stupid stuff anyway.

No I don't really employee anybody save for a sub climber here and there. I do a good amount by self, hence my trucks and equipment though I should have just bought a Corvette. I also sub conttract for a lot of different peoples. Its CRAAAAAAZY! I get to meet them all. I don't know if I can stop but I know I should.
i could never get into having employees and such. I do have respect for guys and all, I guess that is what keeps me from trying to hire people and pay them to do tree work.
But when I go out with other comapanies( and I do work and try to help real good, I don't let people hold the load alone) I get a lot of jackasses who wanna play games.
I was working a lot with Jesse and John and they would even come help me on my jobs but Jesse is bipolar as a mofo and dangerous. One minute he is calling me names and the next he is working his ass off doing more than he should. John is just a kid who needs a job. They both work for this guy who pays them liitle. They don't want to learn, they try to get out of work by excuses, both have come close to killing me playing stupid.
I just can't get into the games and I don't have what it takes to be a bawss. I don't really holler at many people unless they are really jerking around and have been told about it before or if they know better but do stupid stuff anyway.
Ok so the truck NOT? for sale that was a large explanation for a simple question...

Treecuttr,

RedlineIt

I agree, it looks out of control. I climbed before there were chain brakes. We just turned the saw off. Never let a saw run while hanging on a tether. The way the saw went flying there was no time to put the brake on or turn it off, Joe.

I think there is something we can all learn from this....

Huskies are crap!!!

OK, OK, I know it's a husky, and I blame most of it on that. I honestly didn't feel paniced. I had no intention of letting the saw go, it just happened. I had the bigger saw there because I had just used it on a much bigger piece a few feet away, and it's really not that heavy, was cutting good too. Going back to the 192 today to finish it off. Only doing half tree now, half next year. so far EVERYTHING has gone where and how we wanted. Hope that covers everyones issues, LOL. Mostly just trying to enforce use of chain brakes after cuts. Imagine if I hadn't and that thing was running away like that???I'll throw up more videos up from toadys events at some point.

Geez, I went back and watched again, I really don't know what I was thinking. No need to even let it go, damn man I messed up there a little. Also someone made mention of rigging to another spot, the spar in background was a ways away, did't want piece swinging that far. Apologize for not being perfect, LOL

Last edited:
Back